Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gather ‘round all and listen to the tale of a fool who seems to have done more harm than help. Once upon a time I had a Honda Civic and that Honda Civic developed bad struts, shortly after, my CV axles started getting in an uproar. Last night my CV axles and Koni struts came in so tonight I installed them. Now the struts went on without an issue but the axles are somewhat of another story. My passenger side didn’t want to pull off of the intermediate shaft but with a bit of coaxing with a slide hammer it pulled right off. Drivers side come off and went on with ease. Job complete right?... WRONG, I decide to take it for a drive- as you do once you finish installing new mechanical parts to verify everything in working order still. I get about a mile up the road and decide to really get in it. Right as I do I hear a quiet click and the car revs without moving now I’m a sitting duck. I crawl underneath to find the transmission fluid leaking from the drivers side CV input to the diff. Put it on jacks and put it in gear... nothing. Clutch is still tight and firm same symptoms regardless of which gear I’m in to include reverse. Slight grumbling noise if you turn the drivers side tire, from the diff. Did I ruin the bearings in the diff? If not what else could it be. I really done did mess up this time! 🥴

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
I have no clue and also no clue why no one has responded to this. Do you have any updates on the Civic tranny?

While a cool idea, I never thought dropping the 427 Chevy in an '07 Civic was a good idea. :D

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,693 Posts
Got any pictures of how it looks? It does not sound like you are new around cars as you seem to have prior experience with.
I have removed axles before, but NEVER used a slide hammer. I have used two pry bars and gently coaxed them out. Installing was with either human force, or a love tap with a rubber mallet.

For the transmission fluid to leak out, I would imagine that the CV joint did not seal properly into the transmission case. Did you pull the axles back out? what did you find?

@speedlever , V8 civics are cool.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you didn't get the "click" when installing the shaft and now stripped the splines?
Update here, I crawled underneath the car last night since it is the first free day I’ve had in a week. Found that the axle didn’t seat fully into the diff and at some point when I took it for a test drive the cv axle actually slipped part way out. After reinstalling and using a dead blow hammer I was able to get the circlip to seat fully into the diff and get a nice firm seating, everything is kosher now in regard to the axles. Now if I could solve the rattle when going over bumps I would be gas cooking! I put new struts on as well and bought new sway links but the old ones are still firm and tight. As are the sway bar bushings. Wonder what else could cause this? @smufguy @speedlever @14v6

·
Super Moderator
23,443 Posts
I have a rattle in the front end of my 2006 Pilot that's driving me nuts. We drove over some cobblestones recently and I was embarrassed by the racket it made. Sounded like the front end was about to depart. If it's the same rattle, I'll be curious what you find. I need to take mine into the shop and have it looked at. I don't want to fiddle with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a rattle in the front end of my 2006 Pilot that's driving me nuts. We drove over some cobblestones recently and I was embarrassed by the racket it made. Sounded like the front end was about to depart. If it's the same rattle, I'll be curious what you find. I need to take mine into the shop and have it looked at. I don't want to fiddle with it.
How many miles on your pilot? Typically if it is in the 85k-120k range it is bad shocks or struts. Followed closely in commonality by sway bar links. You can test the struts or shocks by going to that corner of the car and pushing down forcefully, when the car recoils it should come up and not jiggle or bounce up and down. You should also not hear creaking and squeaking in the process. Struts or shocks are an easy change usually takes around 30-45 minutes if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Super Moderator
23,443 Posts
Struts were done about 50k miles ago with the TB/WP service. 170k on the clock right now. The stab links have also been replaced.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,693 Posts
The rattle could be a multitude of things. They could be improperly torqued
  • strut mount nuts
  • axle nut (hub side)
  • tie rod ends
  • Lower Control Arm nuts
  • sway bar end link nuts
They could also be stuff in the engine bay that you may have removed or loosened and forgot to tighten them up.
If you put the transmission in low gear, high engine revs and try to engine brake (on and off throttle) and see if the rattle comes up.

I had a ton of rattle in my '89 accord after I did some suspension updates; learned from it and dont have any with my G1 after a suspension overhaul.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts