Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the clay stuff in the detail sections for years and read post after post about how good it is and always kept passing it up. I always thought it sounded odd dragging clay across the finish.

I finally gave it a try the other day and WOW! It was a lot easier to do than I thought it would be. The clay just slides across the finish (when used with the spray). When I was done with just the clay the finish looked as good as it usually does when I'm all done with the detail.

I don't have a Ridge to try it on but I'm on about my 6th coat of Zaino on my wifes car after the clay and it just keeps getting better. So if you've thought about the clay and passed on it before it is definately worth it.

-Trevor
HandA-Accessories.com

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have used the clay in the past and it really makes a difference. It just takes some extra time.

I have the Zaino stuff but I have not used it yet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I tend to be a wax addict and have to try other ones (curse those that have mentioned ones I haven't tried on here) but I've been real happy with the zaino. I really like how easy it is to apply and remove. Their ZFX additive helps make it a lot easier to layer plus you can skip the Z1

The first coat with it doesn't give the depth of a lot of other waxes but the layering with each coat definately shows. I know I need professional help or a hobby to stop me from putting more on more layers.

-Trevor

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ridgeman said:
Dumb question I know, but where do you get this clay stuff?
I used the Meguiars stuff from a local autoparts store. Most of them have it somewhere in their wall of detailing products. It came with a bottle of their spray detailer that you use to lube the surface.

-Trevor

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Would someone that has used clay briefly discribe what it is all about? I am not familiar with clay at all.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully someone that knows more about it can give some more info on it. All I know is it is supposed to remove contaminates that have imbedded themselves in the paint. It doesn't seem to be abrasive, using the spray detailer as lube for it makes it just glide across the paint with very little resistance at all.

At first I didn't think it was really doing anything but when I wiped the first section dry it looked like I'd just spent the day polishing and waxing it. The paint at that point felt smooth as glass when I'd drag my hand across the finish.

The clay was whitish so as you go you are supposed to turn it and kneed it around to keep the part that is against the paint as clean as possible. Somehow something about it just grabs the stuff that is stuck in the paint, without taking off the paint. I did notice a bit of color on the clay when I used it on an old non-clearcoated finish, but not much.

It goes very fast since it glides so easily and you can just slide your other hand around feeling for rough areas as you go to make sure you got everything. I'm not sure exactly how long it took as I wound up doing 3 cars with it the same evening :)

I've never used it on a brand new car but the finish after using it was better and smoother than when the car was new. I've read posts from people that recommend it for new ones.

-Trevor

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Excellent explanation of the clay process. I can only add that the clay can remove some of the minute particles that are embedded within the clear coat layer. Sometimes these small particles can cause swirl marks in the paint with washing (at least this is what I have heard).

I have used it on brand new cars to remove rail dust. Rail dust, as I have learned from othe forums, comes from the transport of the vehicles by rail car. I know they put protective plastic on parts of the car. But they don't cover the entire car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just picked up a clay bar. Going to try it on the wifes Touareg and my Mazda B3000 this weekend. I had never heard of clay bars until I read it here several days ago, Thanks for the tip, Guys!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Finally got a chance to try out the clay bar on my 98 Mazda B3000. The paint was in decent shape but it needed a good cleaning and waxing. Started with the clay bar then used Meguiars cleaner/wax. I would say it almost looks as good as new. Next time I will use a polish after cleaning and follow with a pure wax.

I would highly recommend the clay bar treatment, it's easy to use, gentle on the paint and removes a lot of contaminents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ridgeman said:
Dumb question I know, but where do you get this clay stuff?
check out autopia-carcare.com...you should be a pro detailer after spending an hour on their website..the clay seems to be for older vehicles that have begun to lose their luster..

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
If you're talking about clay bar, it's good to use that on any vehicle. In fact, I clay bar almost every new vehicle I buy because the truth is...they get a lot of gunk on them during transport and sitting on the lot. And, at least in my opinion, it's better to wash your car/truck with Dawn or some detergent - then clay bar it, then wash it again - all before applying your first coat of wax or polish. The reason is that the detergent and clay bar together will get everything as close to "just the paint" as possible. If you don't do the above, you end up putting was or polish on top of who knows what.

If you haven't used a clay bar before, here's one neat thing worth trying that actually helped to sell me on the idea. With your car/truck wet and soapy, run your hand over the paint in various places. It may feel a little rough, yet you can't really see anything with your eyes. Then, clay bar that area and wipe it again with your hand. Should be smooth as glass.

The products I continue to use are from Zaino Brothers. Good quality stuff.

Memorial Day is my next day to clay bar and polish at least one of our two vehicles. It's a long process, but very worth it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Right T Mac, First time, every time, before a wax.
Pull that crud off.
I think there needs to be a member's black Ridgeline on the home page. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
H&A said:
I've seen the clay stuff in the detail sections for years and read post after post about how good it is and always kept passing it up. I always thought it sounded odd dragging clay across the finish.

I finally gave it a try the other day and WOW! It was a lot easier to do than I thought it would be. The clay just slides across the finish (when used with the spray). When I was done with just the clay the finish looked as good as it usually does when I'm all done with the detail.

I don't have a Ridge to try it on but I'm on about my 6th coat of Zaino on my wifes car after the clay and it just keeps getting better. So if you've thought about the clay and passed on it before it is definately worth it.

-Trevor
HandA-Accessories.com
That Zaino stuff intrigues me.
Have you ever used the Zaino glass, plastic, leather or tire stuff?
Wore my Ridgeline shirt to detail the wife's Maxima today. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts