Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking at adding AUX to my 07 RTL (no nav). I have looked at isimple, USA spec and a lot of others. Here is what I want to do and I'm hoping for some Feedback.

I ordered the Factory AUX cover used in the NAV version. I want my AUX to look factory, however I plan to relocate it between the seat heater switches in the blank plug if possible. Having it in front of the passenger is annoying. I also ordered the stock plug to customize it before placing it in there. I plan on using the scoshe HAAXB to interface with it.

I want to be able to use my steering wheel controls on my android if possible. I was looking at the Isimple inseam. It has been out a couple years, but I can't find any real reviews on it. Anyone here have experience?

USASpec seems to be the brand to go to. I would rather my music be on the XM since I don't use it, but I can't find them with a bluetooth steering wheel radio control converter.

I want my radio to stay stock. I'm not really looking for the most cost effective solution, just one that will work well and reliably (preferably under $300, lower is better). I prefer wired connection to aux source if possible.

I know I'm probably being picky and this is a tall order, but i think its possible. I am no stranger to sautering, splicing, and heatshrink, or mechanics in general, so tech level can be as high as required.

I also have a copy of the helms manual, so if we need to rig up a custom harness I'm good for that to. I have a buddy with a 3d printer that I can make the connector with. I prefer not to damage, cut or splice any factory wires. I essentially want to be able to return the truck right back to the way it was with no evidence any of this stuff existed. Y connectors are my friends. I know that may not be possible though so I'm not against cutting a wire.

If we can make this work out, I plan to do a write-up for others who want a similar setup.

Who knows, maybe we can make an ROC kit since it seems there are quite a few threads with people also wanting similar features.

Anyone up for the challenge?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
I purchased a USA SPEC BT45-HON3 and a flush mount USB/AUX on ebay. I plan to put the USB/AUX in the center console (between the seats). I have a 10 ft usb and 10 ft aux extension cable to connect them as the BT45 goes behind the back seat. This will add Bluetooth on XM1 and the USB will charge my ZUNE player with HD radio which I can play over the AUX. This all works with the hands free mic in the SE but comes with a mic for other models.
I did buy the HAAXB and planned on making a splitter for the Aux on the passenger side cubby to mount a second OEM AUX in the center console, but I couldn't find the male connector to match the female on the HAAXB. If you have a source for that connector let us know.

(Infiniti BT45 pic for ref only, Honda model has same inputs.)

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
My USA Spec had inputs for both the included iPod cable and an option for an RCA input. I installed the USA Spec behind the dash and ran an RCA to headphone cable to the center switch plate. I took a radio shack headphone to headphone adapter and carefully cut the plastic off one end. Since the center of the adapter I was using was metal, I was able to cut the plastic and slide it off intact. With the adapter slid through a hole drilled in the blank switch plate, I carefully superglued the headphone "pass through" in place. Behind the dahs I used heat shrink tubing to keep the connection in place. Unless you really stare at it, it looks factory.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I later moved the input off center and mounted my GPS to the center plate. Total cost was retail for the USA Spec and less than $20 spent at radio shack.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
I did call Scosche some time back and asked for the partner for the green connector on the end of the HAAXB. That green connector on the HAAXB plugs into the back of the AUX input in the cubby area. The RCA male ends can then be plugged into the back of an after market head unit, to maintain the function of the Aux input. Scosche didn't have a connector to match up with the green. I went to my Honda parts guy and he couldn't find the mate either. Your link brought up the FDK106, I don't see how that would fit :-(

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
My USA Spec had inputs for both the included iPod cable and an option for an RCA input. I installed the USA Spec behind the dash and ran an RCA to headphone cable to the center switch plate. I took a radio shack headphone to headphone adapter and carefully cut the plastic off one end. Since the center of the adapter I was using was metal, I was able to cut the plastic and slide it off intact. With the adapter slid through a hole drilled in the blank switch plate, I carefully superglued the headphone "pass through" in place. Behind the dahs I used heat shrink tubing to keep the connection in place. Unless you really stare at it, it looks factory.

Exactly what I did as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heli ATP, if I'm not mistaken then there is something similar to what you're looking for - a Y-connector - on installer.com. I'm onto another "family" project right now, otherwise I would do the search for you. Sorry :(

Please let us know if you find it. Muchas gracias ... I mean, thank you very much ... ;) ... Was trying to "fool" everyone with my broken Spanish but ... naaahhh ... too rich for my blood !! hehehehe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Does anyone have any idea on being able to use the Steering Wheel controls on an Android phone? The only solution I can think of is for a bluetooth switchable remote. Like I said, I plan on putting my AUX right where you guys did in the center but with the honda cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heli ATP, once I get mine in I will measure it up and see if I can't get one made that will work.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Heli ATP, if I'm not mistaken then there is something similar to what you're looking for - a Y-connector - on installer.com. I'm onto another "family" project right now, otherwise I would do the search for you. Sorry :(

Please let us know if you find it. Muchas gracias ... I mean, thank you very much ... ;) ... Was trying to "fool" everyone with my broken Spanish but ... naaahhh ... too rich for my blood !! hehehehe
Looks like the green connectors on the Metra 70-7863 and the HAAXB may be partners. These connectors could be used to make a Y harness for behind the Aux input in the cubby, and split the Aux to a second location.
I may call Metra on Monday to get a part number for the connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good find, Heli ATP. Thanks.

Please let us know how it turns out once you get the project done. I'm thinking of putting an extra AUX somewhere around the center console too. Your sharing would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, after having given it some thoughts here is what I would attempt to give a "Clean Factory Looking AUX Installation" that this thread is about. But ... DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that might or would happen to your vehicle or to you or to anyone who helps you to do the following steps. I am sharing them only in light of my goodwill and if you still decide to follow them then let read on:

-- Components needed --

1) Factory AUX jack Assembly (Honda Part # 39114-SJC-A01ZB). Optional ordering link ==> http://myhondapartsstore.com/myhonda/jsp/item.jsp?srchwords=39114-SJC-A01ZB&cat1=RIDGELINE&cat2=2013&cat3=4DR+RTL+(SUNROOF/NAVI)&cat4=KA5AT&cat5=INSTRUMENT+PANEL+GARNISH

auxplugbackno7.jpg

2) Premium Female/Male Computer Jumper Wires (You may want to search for longer ones base on where you want to mount your installing AUX Assembly). I have figured out that these jumpers fit perfectly to the pins of the Honda Factory AUX 5-pin jack Assembly. Optional ordering link ==> http://adafruit.com/products/1952

1952-03.jpg

3) Optional five (5) Cat5E data Cables. (Length is determined by location where you want to mount the AUX jack at. Make sure to purchase the Plenum Shielded variety of the cable that is fully shielded to prevent sound system noise).

4) Soldering hardware or crimping or heat-shrinking. (The latter is pretty easy to use and a good practice with electrical connections. It comes in a roll and you just simply heat it up with a heatgun or a lighter or something that's somewhat hot).

-- Installation --

- Find a place where you want to mount your AUX jack Assembly. With some efforts and lots of patience, make a hole to make the AUX jack fit as perfect as possible. (NOTE: The "Clean Factory Looking" is determined by these very factors). After making it fit tight and neat into the location, plug 5 female jumpers into each of the pin on the back of the AUX jack (see the picture below).

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.28.08 PM.jpg

- If possible, use the same color as described in the picture for each pin respectively for future identification. (You will appreciate this simple yet very important step later when you have to connect the other ends of these jumpers to the Stereo Unit.)

- If you have chosen a location for the AUX jack farther away from the Stereo Unit (e.g., in the center console) and have purchased a long enough jumpers then all you have to do is to run them to the back of the Stereo Unit and ready to solder them into the RIGHT wires of the HARNESS C (see the pictures below for correct soldering. PLEASE use ONLY the picture that described EXACTLY how the HARNESS C on the back of your Stereo Unit looks like. You've been WARNED). Otherwise, the 12" jumpers on the optional ordering link above are long enough if you decide to mount the AUX jack below the Stereo Unit between the seat heated switches.

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.25.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.26.46 PM.jpg

(NOTE: see the picture below to locate where the HARNESS C is behind your Stereo Unit. Again, PLEASE choose ONLY picture that describes the model of your Ridgeline)

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.25.57 PM.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
OR

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.24.44 PM.jpg

However, if your model is not mentioned in either of those two pictures please refer to the picture below for location of AUX wires in the harness bundles behind your Stereo Unit.

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 2.29.51 PM.jpg

- Next, strip CORRESPONDING AUX wires in the HARNESS C and connect the male end of the jumpers to them using either soldering or crimping or heatshrinking methods. (Now do you see how important it was to choose color of the jumpers according to the drawing diagram being mentioned above?)

(Optional: If you can't find long enough jumpers then just connect the male end of the jumpers to the Cat5E cables and then connect the other ends of these cables to the CORRESPONDING AUX wires in the HARNESS C.)

-- Some tippets --

1) Making sure all the connection are nicely done to avoid sound loss or noise later.

2) Making sure all wires are nicely wrapped, routed, and zip-tied in a way so they won't interfere or move around with any other harnesses once the Stereo Unit is put back into the dash.

Once all of the above steps are done, plug your aftermarket device into the new installed AUX jack to enjoy a louder and CD-like sound.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts