Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

401 - 420 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
The human race as a whole survived even longer without penicillin, sanitary sewer, seat belts, and cell phones; although life expectancy wasn't as long. Okay, maybe not cell phones. :)
I'm sure Cell phone use had led to a lot of untimley deaths!

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I'm sure Cell phone use had led to a lot of untimley deaths!
Probably also a good number pulled over for what the cop first thought would be a DUI.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Probably also a good number pulled over for what the cop first thought would be a DUI.
Yeah, and you probably know some states allow the traffic stop just for cell phone use. Impaired is impaired. Studies have shown folks can be just as impaired by cell use while driving as they are by alcohol. My anecdotal evidence of just watching idiots trying to use their phone and drive at the same time seems to prove the studies. If I recall correctly, the fine in OR for driving and using the phone is something north of $200.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
It's becoming easier to spot the driving patterns before you ever see they have a phone stuck to their head.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Even worse yet... intoxicated drivers who are talking on the phone....

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Even worse yet... intoxicated drivers who are talking on the phone....
Yeah, the two screw-ups don't exactly cancel each other out. Amazing how fast and far we deviated from cabin filters.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Yeah, the two screw-ups don't exactly cancel each other out. Amazing how fast and far we deviated from cabin filters.
Ok... intoxicated... while talking on the phone... while driving... while trying to change the cabin air filter.

Bringin' it back!!! :act027:

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Hmmm might be a good plot for a murder mystery. Contaminate the car's AC filter with some intoxicant or sleeping gas. Not as accessible as brake lines though.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I can't believe some of you people are trying to reuse old filters by blowing them out, washing them, shaking them, beating them up against the wall, or trying to make your own filters by chopping up furnace filters that aren't designed for automotive applications. You are driving a 25-38 thousand dollar Honda Ridgeline - not an 8 thousand dollar used Kia. Loosen up the purse strings and put the right bleepin' filter in the thing for crying out loud! I'm all for making reasonable efforts to save money or "go green" where appropriate, but... Give me a break!

Okay. I feel better now. :)
Well said. In the institutions where I ply my trade, democratically governed I might add, people will pass a budget with a five-figure deficit without discussion or even questions. Then, they will get obsessed over an extra pencil that someone walked off with.

There are multiple choices for a replacement cabin filter. The most expensive I've seen are around $20 (I'm not counting the price-gougers, just mainstream brands sold by mainstream suppliers). Plenty of good choices in the $8 range.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Write up was spot on...took all of about 3 minutes to change the filter. Beginning to really enjoy this site.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Write up was spot on...took all of about 3 minutes to change the filter. Beginning to really enjoy this site.
Most of the 3 minutes accounts for the time to take all of the junk out of the glove compartment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of the 3 minutes accounts for the time to take all of the junk out of the glove compartment.
True...good thing I have only had the rig for 2 weeks, so the removal of the 'junk' was minimal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A good looking charcoal Ridgeline cabin filter sells for less than $10.00 with free shipping on Ebay. If you want a cheaper, non charcoal one you can get them for less than $5.00 shipped to your door.

If you are a total DIY'er and want one cheap as dirt, buy a good furnace filter and cut out about 4 of them for less than $2.00 each.

After all, the filter's main job is to keep the dust, dirt, msc. crud and bugs out of your heater coil saving you several hundred dollars to have the plugged heater coil R&R'd. The cleaner cabin air is just a nice bonus.

·
Super Moderator
12,846 Posts
After all, the filter's main job is to keep the dust, dirt, msc. crud and bugs out of your heater coil saving you several hundred dollars to have the plugged heater coil R&R'd. The cleaner cabin air is just a nice bonus.
Not sure about your age or knowledge of automotive history, but cabin air filters didn't appear in volume until the late 90s and early 2000s. Automotive HVAC systems were made for 60 years without filters - and are still designed that way today. A good example is the current generation Silverado/Sierra. I was amazed to find that my 2009 Silverado had no cabin air filter when my 1999 Regal did. The previous generation Silverado had them, but they were not implemented (even as an option) in the next generation. In reality, the primary purpose of a cabin air filter is to reduce the amount of dust and pollen entering the cabin to increase occupant comfort and to give dealers and filter manufacturers an additional profit stream. Anything else is just a bonus. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My "experience" with a plugged heater/a/c coil was a shocking bill for $680.00 to take the core out and replace it.

The core, on the air intake side was covered with a fine mouse fur coating of dust and debris that brought the air flow through the system down to about 10%.

A friend of mine who owned a body shop would cut a big piece out of the firewall in the engine compartment near the a/c and heater unit, then put in an air nozzle with a shop vac to suck out the crud dislodged by the air pressure blasts.

We had a few discussion about the various makes and models that he had to work on...non of witch had a replaceable filter on the up stream side of the a/c and heater cores.

He said once.."they should put in a simple air filter and save everyone a small fortune on solving the problem"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Truckin' for this great post,:act030: it took me just a few minutes to clean the filter following just the pictures. Soon I'll buy a new filter and will have my kid do the replace. It's that simple!

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Hey, I'm glad you dredged up this old post and found it helpful! :act035: It is easy!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
^hey, you're the guy with the doggie deck. Love that mod!!

Just turned 20k on my RL and will use this post for the cabin filter change.

401 - 420 of 458 Posts