Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

441 - 458 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I had no clue there even was a cabin air filter until I was looking for some other RL filters on Amazon and saw the cabin air filter offered.

Thanks for a post on replacement. We have very dusty dirt roads and NO dealer. Do all the maintenance myself.
You probably had a lot of Moose pollen & Caribou antler velvet clogging it up? :)

'Would love to drive up & visit your state one of these years.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Spent 10 minutes doing this today. Vacuum only, no need for replacement. This thread should have an auto to the top reminder every 60 days.

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
It puts a smile on my face to know this so helps people. It's time to change ours again too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want a truly cleanable cabin filter, K&N does make a cabin filter for the Ridgeline, part-no. VF2001 and the cleaning kit 99-6000.
I picked one up for mine at replacement time, hoping it's the last one I'll ever buy. After a couple weeks with it in the HVAC works fine with no unusual smell from the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
^^ Interesting. Is it oiled? What is the cleaning process? How much does it cost compared to a normal cabin filter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
^^ Interesting. Is it oiled? What is the cleaning process? How much does it cost compared to a normal cabin filter?
On Amazon, the filter goes for $39.99 and the cleaning kit is $11.70. It make take a few years to realize the value compared to a disposable, but if you're in for the "long haul", and don't want to fill your landfill unnecessarily, it's worth the dough. IMO.

It cleans in much the same manner as an engine air filter, the soap, water, air dry and the "refresher". It was not oily to the touch at all, and had no odor whatsoever, even with the heat on.
It seems the "refresher" restores the "magic" within:
"Also included is an 8 ounce pump spray bottle of cabin air filter Refresher which increases the electrostatic properties of the cabin air filter helping it to trap contaminants."

The corporate blurb here

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Thank you for the heads up and information. I know many swear by K&N filters. I'm sure it does its job admirably, but I'm just not a big fan of oiled filters in general - engine or cabin. The way I look at it, some of the vapors or particles of that oil is circulating through the ventilation system and some of it is even reaching the breathable cabin air even if it's not detectable through smell. These may dissipate over time and, honestly, may not be of any concern. To each, his own, though. Just like the engine air filter, I'll stick with a good paper element and change it once every 12-18 months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for the heads up and information. I know many swear by K&N filters. I'm sure it does its job admirably, but I'm just not a big fan of oiled filters in general - engine or cabin. The way I look at it, some of the vapors or particles of that oil is circulating through the ventilation system and some of it is even reaching the breathable cabin air even if it's not detectable through smell. These may dissipate over time and, honestly, may not be of any concern. To each, his own, though. Just like the engine air filter, I'll stick with a good paper element and change it once every 12-18 months.
The filter was not oily, and the contents of the refresher bottle is not oil based (Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate), misting a bit on my finger it felt like, and smelled a little like Windex, it left no noticeable film or odor after it dried.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
The filter was not oily, and the contents of the refresher bottle is not oil based (Sodium metasilicate pentahydrate), misting a bit on my finger it felt like, and smelled a little like Windex, it left no noticeable film or odor after it dried.
Ah ha. Must be a totally different formulation than that of the engine air filter, then. The stuff I've seen in S&B and K&N kits is red and quite oily. In that case, I think I might be interested in this. I change mine out every 18 months or so, so it would take while to see the benefits as opposed to the cost, but still something to think about. Good find.

·
Super Moderator
6,847 Posts
I would say it smells similar to the "refersher" for AC systems

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very well written post. I have been changing the cabin filters on my wife's CRV. Yes, it is easy to do and save money too. I bought several years worth of filters on E Bay a few years back. The hardest part of replacing the cabin filters is to empty all the crap that has collected in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
OP, here. I'm glad to see someone still digs this old thread up once in a while.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
OP, here. I'm glad to see someone still digs this old thread up once in a while.
Over 12 years later and it's still relevant.

441 - 458 of 458 Posts