Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just joined since I am hoping to get a Ridge soon. My company is thinking about getting me a Pilot but I'm lobbying for a Ridgeline since I want to get the wife a Pilot. I had one for an overnight test drive the other day and loved it. I think it will be an excellent compliment to having a Pilot.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a black Ridge and was wondering about keeping it clean. I've never been a fanatic cleaner of vehicles. I have 2 little ones and just don't have the time to devote to detailing my vehicles. I'm more of a car wash kind of person or a Mr Clean AutoDry.

My question is, will my current methods work with a black Ridge or am I likely to be a little disappointed in it's appearance? I'd love to hear from both those that are into detailing and those like myself who like the quick approach.

Thanks in advance

Ridge In The Ville

L

·
0 Posts
swampler said:
I have a black ridge and the Mr Clean system works great...no spotting. If you don't want to spend a lot of time making it look clean, you'd probably be better off with the primer, err silver color.
If you want your Ridgeline to look great all the time with little time invested, go with SILVER!! I do clean mine regualrly and I have the time to devote to it but the few times I had to "let her go', I was glad I had SILVER. NOT to mention it's Honda's choice of color. Please do a search on "color my world" for poll results of this subject. :)

Funny swampi..very funny. You're gonna scare the nice man away!! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a black one and it does require work if you want it always looking good. I love washing my cars so its not a problem. But everything will show, fingerprints on the doors, dust, water spots, etc. Silver would be good as it hides alot but a clean black Ridge is hot. :cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

I really don't want a silver Ridge (no offense to those that have one. My wife wants to get her Pilot in silver.). I think the black looks real sharp and tough. I'm also considering the red and the blue. I'm not into white vehicles and I'll be getting out of a green Expedition so that rules out the green.

Any other comments or comments on cleaning the red and the blue?

Ridge In The Ville

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I use the term "fanatics" in the best possible way. :) I wish I had the time (and energy) to devote to keeping my vehicle clean.

Ridge In The Ville

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Definitely SILVER!! Not only is it more a company car it is also the safest for your 2 little ones!! ;) And BTW, get the RTL for the gray leather seats, and heated front seats. Besides, the SILVER is cooler in the summer. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Oh my, it is another color war!

By the way, Red generally does well with not looking too bad unless you really let it go then all bets are off. I would take pictures of my car but it is wet right now from the massive amounts of rain we have had in the NE this last week. Actually I guess that is more I don't want to take my camera out to take pictures in the rain. I really think that if you want to hide a lot of sins and not get primer gray that you should consider the green since most dirt seems to be a close match and it gives it that sort of camo feel.

Personally the Blue was my second choice, I really liked it on the showroom floor but it also looked like it would get dirty pretty fast, not sure. In fact the first Ridgeline I had held was Blue, but it was a demo car and my wife veto'ed buying a demo.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It really sucks to clean...but nothing looks better than when it is clean.

I had a white truck before....pretty much looked clean all of the time...hides dirt well...believe it or not

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
ladyridge said:
NOT to mention it's Honda's choice of color.

It may be a buyer's choice as opposed to Honda's choice! (see your own signature post, JC! :p )

Given the fact we are going to new color vehicles at work (black) I've noticed how dirty they get real quick.....Black only looks good when clean!! So consider another color - Blue or Red!!! -( there, got my two cents in...)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Black definately! Mr. Clean Autodry Pro series with a fresh rinse cartridge, and you are all set. Simply wash, spray, and put it away in the garage to dry spot free. The issue here is you will need to wash it much more frequently, but then it will look better than any other color, too. You got to pay to play when it comes to black.

I never heard of a ROC member who doesn't shine their baby. Ah that's right, you haven't got it yet. This too will change. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are probably right. My habits will change once I get it and want that beauty always clean. My main reason for the post was to see what would happen without wanting to really get into it. You have all been wonderful with your suggestions.

I think I'm leaning away from Black. I don't think I deserve that color. :) Maybe it's time for me to go back to a red vehicle. I like the beige interior that red and black have. The beige makes a nice contrast to the other color on the seats, IMO.

Glad to hear Mr Clean does such a good job. If it does that good on black I'm sure it will do wonderful on the others too.

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dear RidgeInTheVille,

You already want the black, you said it yourself. So buy the black and keep it clean however is easiest for you. It's like buying the house that isn't all brick. You know you are gonna have to paint it every so often, but you want it so bad, and you lust after it, that you go ahead and buy what you desire. Upkeep be damned! Enjoy the ride!

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Black is the only choice in my book! Mr. Clean works great.
I have been driving mine in the rain for the past week in SC and it still looks great. In my opinion, white looks alot worse when dirty. The red, blue, and green are just OK and the silver is............ask Ladyridge about this one; it's her territory.
The black looks absolutely stunning and awesome all the time!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Blue actually handles the dirt quite well. My dark blue Accord, on the other hand, does not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the blue and think it looks great! It's not bad when dirty, and looks real good when clean. Here's a picture in the garage (it's night - but it's clean)

Downsides of the metal flake colors like red or blue - it's going to be hard to cover up those little dings in the bumpers and hood from rock chips or whatever. You know your gonna get them. The honda paint is pretty close but since it's metal flake paint, getting an exact match is tough. When I picked mine up the dealer service dept had marred the front bumper doing the right foglight and we drove around found the touch up guy on the lot. He said I could use the touch up paint - but it would not be a perfect match due to the variations in the metal flake during application. He said a custom spray was the only way. It was windy that day but the dealer said I could come back during a calm day and they would take care of it. I ended up using touch up paint cause the dealers about 130 miles away.

He did say that white and silver were the two colors you could use the touch up paint and get a near perfect match. My wife has a white Odyssey and you gotta get pretty close to tell there is touch up paint on the hood. I've had a couple of red metal flake vehicles (GMC, Mercury) and getting the red paint to match is hard. My experience has been too dark or too pinkish.

One picture of the foglight shows where I have touched it up - when it's a small ding it hides pretty well.

Another picture where I backed into a stone wall, with one brick set facing out so it stuck out further than the wall. The small ding looks OK but the larger ding (about the size of 3 pencil erasers side to side) still needs a little more work.

I keep telling myself it's a truck after all and dings are gonna happen.

Long post - hope it helps, but it might be more info than you were looking for. Of course if I was totally practical I would have gotten white, but I couldn't resist the blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a black one, (and I can't wait to see the responses to this), and I think it looks good dirty too!! I don't have a lot of time to wash my vehicles and to be honest, it makes you appreciate it more when it's clean.

I take mine to a Turtle Wax shop and hound the kids to make it perfect, (cause I'm lazy). :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the comments. I thought i had my mind made up and then saw some more posts.

Thanks for the pics blueridge33. The touchup issue is not one I had considered. My wife currently has a Bonneville in a similar blue color and I know what you mean about touchups with metallic paint.

RidgeInTheVille

1 - 20 of 68 Posts