Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Climate Control Problems

10523 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  sleighter
Hey everyone, I've got a number of climate control issues that I'm hoping the ROC can help me resolve. First off: I've got an '07 RTL w/ Nav & dual climate control. It's got about 140k miles, so I figured things like this would start to have problems, I'm just looking for help to identify what needs to be replaced.

Issue #1: I hear a "ticking" or repetitive clicking sound behind the driver side vent left of the steering wheel. It usually happens after the internal temperature has stabilized. If I then adjust the temperature away from the current temperature the ticking stops once the system comes on to meet the new temperature.

Issue #2: If it's cold outside, my truck will blow hot air regardless of the internal temp. I.E. if it's 62 outside, but the truck is warm and temp is set to 68 it'll blow full hot instead of a mild heat like it used to. Also, it doesn't temper as it reaches the desired temperature. The only way to get it to blow cooler air is to adjust the thermostat down to something matching the outside air temp.

My truck didn't use to work this way. One of my favorite things about the Ridge was how well the climate control adjusted itself automatically. It would begin to temper the air as it reached the desired temp and really was a "hands off" climate control. I remember reading that there's an internal and external temp sensor for the climate control? I'm wondering if my internal sensor has gone bad and I need to replace it. Is that possible to do?

Issue #3: Sometimes the heat will become "stuck". By that I mean that regardless of the thermostat temp the truck will blow hot air. Sometimes cycling it all the way to "low" will then get it to blow cold air. Otherwise it needs to be cycled all the way to "hot" and then adjusting back down to the desired cabin temp will get the cold air to blow. Sometimes it will need to be cycled to "hot" then all the way to "cold" before it will start to blow cold air.

I'm a long time lurker on the ROC ever since I bought my truck, and you guys always have the answers. I'm hoping you can help me solve this problem so the wife is a happy camper again. Thanks in advance.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area, but from what I've read, it sounds like you definitely have a problem with your "diverter" doors or whatever they are called .... probably is the noise on your drivers side, plus not working right to mix hot/cold air. I'm guessing you might have other problems as well, given your last entry.... but again I'm FAR from expert on this. Perhaps others more knowledgeable will chime in with more precise advice.
Use the self-diagnostic function and see what it comes up with.
I'll PM you the factory service manual download link for you.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 1
If the self diagnosis comes back ok try replacing the A/C clutch relay. It's in a box under the hood on the passenger side. It's the usual cause for the ac to blow warm air.

As far as the ticking, any thought to that being something as simple as a leaf or stick stuck in the blower fan?
If the self diagnosis comes back ok try replacing the A/C clutch relay. It's in a box under the hood on the passenger side. It's the usual cause for the ac to blow warm air.

As far as the ticking, any thought to that being something as simple as a leaf or stick stuck in the blower fan?
The self diagnosis came back clear. At least I assume it came back clear, after turning on, it changed fan speeds a couple of times then turned itself off. I ran the test again and it ended with blinking "88 88" continuously. I ran it a 3rd time and the result was the same as the 1st. blank screen, system off after about 10 seconds.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.