Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions/help with the following problem: When I park on an incline (head up or down - doesn't matter), place the vehicle in park, shut the engine off, and let my foot off the brake; the truck rolls slightly down the incline - about an inch or so. The problem is that when I start the truck again and put it in gear there is a horrible sounding CLUNK!!

I was at the Sedona Meet and we had some pretty bumpy roads. I also hear a deep/large rattle noise when driving over uneven/bumpy roads now so I suspected a motor mount was loose and performed the following test: Same set up but prevent the truck from rolling using either the parking brake or tire chocks. No clunk :) This was after jumping on both bumpers and isolating the noise away from the suspension.

My problem is finding where the motor mounts are located on the truck and what their appropriate torque should be. I hate to buy the shop manual just for this. Also, I'm a shade tree mechanic so if someone knows that this process requires significant dis-assembly to access the correct nuts/bolts I'd appreciate a "head's up" suggestion about taking it in to the dealer.

Finally, my truck is an '06 with ~56K mileage - is this something a dealer might pick up as part of the engine/drive train warranty?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The clunk is the parking brake pawl unloading. Use the parking brake religiously and you'll never hear it again. It has been documented here before.

The rattle could be anything from the tweeter covers, to th center console, to a broken or leaky strut. If it was a motor mount, you would get vibration at certain engine rpm's on any terrain, even smooth road. At least that's what I would suspect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clunk is the parking brake pawl unloading. Use the parking brake religiously and you'll never hear it again. It has been documented here before.

The rattle could be anything from the tweeter covers, to th center console, to a broken or leaky strut. If it was a motor mount, you would get vibration at certain engine rpm's on any terrain, even smooth road. At least that's what I would suspect.

Good luck.
Maybe my description of the clunk wasn't descriptive enough. The "clunk" will shake the whole truck. To test, I put a glass of water on the hood and it doesn't just spill water out - it tips the glass. I can't see the parking brake doing this. Additionally, on a flat surface I don't get any symptom at all. I'm not saying that I won't be proven wrong, but I am asking anyone with a photo/description of where the motor mounts are to chime in so I can at least check them. I didn't have this problem last week and it appears to be getting worse.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Maybe my description of the clunk wasn't descriptive enough. The "clunk" will shake the whole truck. To test, I put a glass of water on the hood and it doesn't just spill water out - it tips the glass. I can't see the parking brake doing this. Additionally, on a flat surface I don't get any symptom at all. I'm not saying that I won't be proven wrong, but I am asking anyone with a photo/description of where the motor mounts are to chime in so I can at least check them. I didn't have this problem last week and it appears to be getting worse.

Jeff
Jeff, I agree with shovelhd. Use your parking brake and this wont happen.
When on an incline, you're putting the weight of the vehicle on the parking prawl in the transmission. When you shift out of park the prawl is sort of "stuck" and requires more force to shift it out of park.
Using the parking brake will put the weight of the vehicle on the rear wheels (parking brake) and the prawl will shift into & out of park more easily.
Hint: After applying the parking brake, release the regular brake before putting it in park as the R/L does roll slightly sometimes (1 inch).

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

Jeff
Jeff, I've had that 'clunk' happen to me on inclines as well. Pretty loud! It doesn't happen often but on occasion. Don't know if the off roading has contributed to it or not...as I've been down that road many times.

Next time I am on an incline I will try Shovelhd's advice since I rarely use the park brake.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff, I've had that 'clunk' happen to me on inclines as well. Pretty loud! It doesn't happen often but on occasion. Don't know if the off roading has contributed to it or not...as I've been down that road many times.

Next time I am on an incline I will try Shovelhd's advice since I rarely use the park brake.
I'm not so sure that it was the road specifically. What I'm leaning towards is incompetence of the body shop where I had work done. After a "minor" kiss of a tree this last spring I brought it in to a "reputable" shop here in Payson. Turns out that the damage was severe enough they had to drop the engine. What was to me minor hood damage and brush guard replacement turned into 8K worth of work.

But that's not where the story ends. It turns out that the shop was being run illegally by one of the partners. Two brothers and one got a restraining order on the other and changed the locks. One day I was doing business with "Tim" and the next "John" said Tim was on vacation and some of the quotes, etc. had been done in error. John had opened up a bunch of bank accounts and continued to "cash out" the business until his brother was able to get a court date and get things straightened out. Anyway, I've since noticed things not done "up to snuff" in other areas of the workmanship. In particular, I keep having to tighten up the screws at the top of my brush guard (finally put in lock washers myself). While I was poking around under the vehicle today I saw missing fender clips and have just a general sense that poor workmanship ran though out.

Shovelhd's advice is sound and I'll bet it's accurate for 80+ % of others having symptoms like mine. But I get the feeling I'm outside the standard deviation for both scale of problem and chance that it's a "non-standard" cause. I get the feeling that the grease monkeys didn't use a torque wrench and either stripped the engine mount bolts or didn't tighten them enough and the washboard roads rattled them loose. Attached is a photo of my driveway. I've been parking where it the truck is for close to two years now and I have to believe that if this problem was related to normal conditions I would have experienced it previous to this.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Ya didn't tell us it was in a wreck. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know. But I was hoping that by asking a specific question I would be able to get it answered and not have to publicly humiliate myself with this story of woe :(

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It's the transmission park pawl engaged under strain. When you park, keep your foot on the brake, shift into neutral (still with your foot firmly on the brake pedal), then use your other foot (left?) to set the emergency brake. Now take your right foot off the brake pedal and turn off the engine. :D

I made the distinction in left and right because some people use their right foot for gas and the left for the brake. That will screw up your tranny fast, but that's another thread.:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. But I was hoping that by asking a specific question I would be able to get it answered and not have to publicly humiliate myself with this story of woe :(
Bad news :( Tonight driving home from walking the dog I crossed a cattle guard at ~ 25 mph and heard a "clunk" followed by a "ting" and watched a bolt bounce up from the asphalt somewhere near my drivers front. Looks like I'm walking while waiting for a service manual to arrive unless some kind person here can provide me with what I suspect is missing - the bolt from the motor mount from the drivers side. I really need a description of where it's located, what the bolt size is (I couldn't stop in time as there was traffic and it bounced into the ditch) and the appropriate torque.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silly me, I posted the above before looking under the truck. Attached is a photo of where the bolt appears to have come from. Can someone give me the specs on theirs? I need at least the bolt size and thread count.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
The clunk and then the ting sounds like one of the nuts on the sway bar links came off. The ting is when the sway bar link popped out of the sway bar.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OneBigDog the bolt size you're looking for is 10X1.25 but it doesn't give me the length of the bolt. The part # is 90187-SJC-A00 Sorry I couldn't help you out more, but the service manual just doesn't give the length of the bolt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm back to feeling safe about driving again. Since Payson is small I ended up having to go to a hardware parts store (neither of the three auto parts stores had the right bolt), buy the correct type of bolt and then get a tap and re-tap the engine side of the pathway. I also ended up using a washer so that I could fully tighten the bolt. Anyway, it's DONE and I'm HAPPY.

Thanks for the info/help,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Is it too late to go back to your insurance company and complain about the quality of the work that was done? Maybe they can recommend a different bodyshop to give your RL a good going-over, looking for missing fasteners, etc.

Having suspension components fall off could be hazardous.

Chip H.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just looked under my truck when I was putting my new grill on and I am missing the same bolts.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
Silly me, I posted the above before looking under the truck. Attached is a photo of where the bolt appears to have come from. Can someone give me the specs on theirs? I need at least the bolt size and thread count.

Thanks,

Jeff
I was looking at your pic trying to figure out what bolt was missing. Is this the one?

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
That would be it according to his picture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts