Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice it mainly when the engine is cold and the air conditioner is on prior to start. I figured it was the air kicking on, but It does not happen all the time. I was going to take it in and was wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hear a "clunk" in all my Hondas. I believe it's a vent closing on the AC/vent system.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use to hear one at about 6mph just before the doors lock.
I think it is still there but have just got use to it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
ridgeNH said:
I use to hear one at about 6mph just before the doors lock.
I think it is still there but have just got use to it.
Wow. I just noticed this the other day. I don't think it was there when it was new. Right before the doors lock. Clunk. Anyone know what this might be? It seems like it's coming from up front. But I thought maybe it was the trunk locking or something too. I just don't know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can not reproduce it every start up, but I can only describe it as a mechanical "clunk" sound that is coming from the engine bay at start up. I will take it in today and I will be lucky if I don't get a dumbfounded look and a shrug :rolleyes:

The air conditioning could be involved but if it happens in all Honda's then I should here it in my wifes 05' CR-V.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a VERY mechanical clunk just after startup. It's the air conditioner compressor clutch engagng. Sometimes it's quiet but it can also be very loud. You could turn off the climate control before starting up and see if you still here it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always have the pre-lock clunk, but occasionally I have a clunk or clunk-clunk in the first half block of driving. I'm trying not to worry about it since it seems common, and I don't notice a pattern yet i.e. air on, air off, on turns, on acceleration, etc. I want to take it to the service department, but since these only occur just after starting off, I wouldn't be able to replicate the noise for the service writers. I haven't noticed any clunks when not moving except for one that sounds like normal hvac stuff.

I did have a clatter-clunk on right turns after having the trailer hitch installed. Quite a disturbing thing for the owner of eight new cv joints. Some exhaust shielding was touching the muffler and after I bent that out a little, the sound was gone, a one finger repair.

I hope noises are merely a characteristic. My 1986 Toy truck with the 22R had a light piston slap on cold start for all of the 150K miles I had it. That took some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's an ABS brake check. There is a previous thread. Very normal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
steveberger said:

There has been lots of discussion regarding these clunks before. For the most part (if memory serves me well), the clunk(s) are either the AC units starting (common among all Hondas) and/or the ABS/VSA system doing it's self check and calibration after every start up.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice things really clunking around or you notice something different as far as the performance of your Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hazcat said:
I always have the pre-lock clunk, but occasionally I have a clunk or clunk-clunk in the first half block of driving. I'm trying not to worry about it since it seems common, and I don't notice a pattern yet i.e. air on, air off, on turns, on acceleration, etc. I want to take it to the service department, but since these only occur just after starting off, I wouldn't be able to replicate the noise for the service writers. I haven't noticed any clunks when not moving except for one that sounds like normal hvac stuff.

I did have a clatter-clunk on right turns after having the trailer hitch installed. Quite a disturbing thing for the owner of eight new cv joints. Some exhaust shielding was touching the muffler and after I bent that out a little, the sound was gone, a one finger repair.

I hope noises are merely a characteristic. My 1986 Toy truck with the 22R had a light piston slap on cold start for all of the 150K miles I had it. That took some getting used to.
Hazcat, I think your noise is diferent. Check out this thread, then get your truck in for the repairs asap. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
There is a noise that has been discussed in quite a few threads that is a definitive clunk coming from the front wheel area that only occurs when the vehicle is cold. I had a Honda service manager explain the problem as a brake caliper unit auto adjusting. When cold, it does this and not after driving as the caliper expands fromn the heat. It may occur at the approximate spped that the doors auto-lock and this could be confusing the symptom diagnosis. If it only occurs after the truck has been sitting, the brake explanation rings true. if it happens all the time, there is another group of threads that describe problems some have had with strut bushings in the front.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks sir!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ahhh, I'm accustomed to our Accord's little hum-buzz when it does the ABS self check.

Thanks, Tex's Ridge. I'll check on that.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
a_vdk said:
I notice it mainly when the engine is cold and the air conditioner is on prior to start.
Same here when A/C is left on and engine is started after sitting a day or two. I have tried to remember to turn A/C off before turning engine off and it does seems to happen less the next time I start the engine.

I feel a definite, although short, shake in the engine which is why I think it is the A/C clutch engaging. And the longer it sits the more often it happens.
Sometimes the "clunk" is real loud and think it could be a combination of the ABS brake self/check as many others have stated. The longer it sits is also indicative of an ABS check.

Anyway I dont feel or hear the "clunk" or "shake" after starting the engine many times in the same day. Hopefuly this issuse will get settled soon and we can all rest in peace, although I'm not too worried about it because so many have experienced, hopefuly it is normal.

Good luck at the Dealer and let us know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hear the clunk also but only when I start the the truck with the AC on or turn it on after it's running so I would guess it has something to do with the compressor engaging. I don't really think nothing of it.

I also have the minor clunk a half second before the auto door lock engages. I think that's what the noise is from, the sensor or whatever makes it work engaging the auto door lock. For me that only happens when you have it in drive and start to pull away, again I think it is not a big deal.

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! I am glad to know it is normal and I copied this post for the Honda dealer. I appologise if this was a repeat post I normally search before asking.

Thanks Again :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts