Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been having this clunking noise when I may 90 degree turns and accel. It seems more common when I make left turns ( exteneded turns). It doesn't matter which way I turn it happens. I have taken it to the dealer, and all they did in the two days was tighten the suspension bolts... Granted it somewhat helped, but it still happens even though I was told it wouldn't happen again (surprise).

I have a video recorded that I will get uploaded as soon as I can find my usb cable. I did try to show the tech today the video, but it was hard to hear the sound in the shop. Hopefully you can give me some ideas.

Side note: when I brought it in they weren't able to replicate the noise at first maybe because it was raining and the noise was muted, but I drove a tech around and he thinks my axle may be out... but the head tech does not believe him/ or something.

2012 honda ridgeline sport
27000 mi happened around 23000 ( im stuck at school most days and with this being break it is probably the best time to get this solved asap.)

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been having this clunking noise when I may 90 degree turns and accel. It seems more common when I make left turns ( exteneded turns). It doesn't matter which way I turn it happens. I have taken it to the dealer, and all they did in the two days was tighten the suspension bolts... Granted it somewhat helped, but it still happens even though I was told it wouldn't happen again (surprise).

I have a video recorded that I will get uploaded as soon as I can find my usb cable. I did try to show the tech today the video, but it was hard to hear the sound in the shop. Hopefully you can give me some ideas.

Side note: when I brought it in they weren't able to replicate the noise at first maybe because it was raining and the noise was muted, but I drove a tech around and he thinks my axle may be out... but the head tech does not believe him/ or something.

2012 honda ridgeline sport
27000 mi happened around 23000 ( im stuck at school most days and with this being break it is probably the best time to get this solved asap.)

Thanks for your help guys.
They should have already checked this, but make sure your CV boots on your axles are not broken/cracked & leaking grease. If they are, you probably need at least one new axle. Very common symptom of shot axle CV joints is clunking as you turn. No way this should be happening on that new of a vehicle (unless you lost all your grease that's inside the boot). If you're under warranty (you are, right?), then just badger them 'til they make it right. Maybe try another dealer if you have to.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
If it is making a clicking sound while at full lock, it may be a CV joint (Front dirve axles). If it is a clunk when the weight shifts, it could be a tie rod (Front suspension) or rear link bar could be broken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey bmwproboi05... just wanted to add to Dnick and MikeT's great suggestions. I had similar issues several weeks ago and it drove me nuts.

In my particular case, it was the 17mm strut mount bolt (underneath cowl) that came a bit loose. When I replaced both front struts, I foolishly used anti-seize on the threads in fear of having trouble removing nut in the future. This bolt is self-locking and as long as it's torqued to specs, you don't need anti-seize lube (at least not in sunny South Florida). It would make this clunking noise every time I turned and I could not figure what the heck it was. By the way, this happened on smooth road surfaces while turning full lock and starting from a full stop.

NOTE: I also changed the sway bar bushings prior to all of this, which helped reduce the clunking noise, but that was when going over bumps in particular.

I knew it had to be something else because I had already replaced inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links and my CV joints looked good with no grease leaking anywhere.

Hope you figure out the source of your clunking noise.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah, It occurs to me that you weren't really specific about the 'clunk'. So I should point out that if it is the CV joint(s), you'l get a steady, rapid, rhythmic clunking as you turn (clunk,clunk, clunk, etc.). If it's not like that, then it's not the CV joints. If it's more irregular, or singular clunks suspect your sway bar bushings or link ends.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright guys, I just got back from the dealer. After showing the video and finding out my neighbor was the service manager. They were able to find out that both my axel are bad, some bushings, and a few other things need to be replaced. All I can say is thank gaw I still have warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
alright guys, I just got back from the dealer. After showing the video and finding out my neighbor was the service manager. They were able to find out that both my axel are bad, some bushings, and a few other things need to be replaced. All I can say is thank gaw I still have warranty.
Hey guys....I’m reading this because My 2019 Honda Ridgeline with 7500 miles had an intermittent clunk from the right rear. I couldn’t find anything, then drove to Las Vegas and back (850 miles each way). On the way back as we turned off I-70 to get gas, we got a clunk, clunk, clunk that corresponded to the wheels turning. A mechanic at the gas station got it up on a lift and the right rear sway bar link, lower nut, was missing and the sway bar was lodged against the axle (hence the repetitive clunking noise). The mechanic reconnected the sway bar to the connection point with a locking washer and nut, and we made it back home. I take the truck in tomorrow to hopefully have the sway bar replaced since the boot was ripped and the original nut was gone. Also, the mechanics said that the lower bolt on the sway bar that had come loose did not have an Allen wrench hole in the end of it like the other 3 bolts. I bought the truck brand new, and have never had it in the shop, other than an oil change, so this odd bolt was installed at the factory, or somehow a dealer somewhere in the sale process replaced the bolt, which would be weird. Anyway, if you hear clunking from the rear when turning over I ever terrain, check the tightness of the say bar nuts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts