Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm not driving a 70K truck, but my Land Cruiser before my Ridgeline had a buttery smooth transmission. This one seems to require a bit more pressure to put it into reverse or drive, and at that, it sometime makes an initial loud 'clunk' when doing so. I haven't noticed anything unusual in the way it drives. Is this a normal operative sound? Anyone? If I'm parked on an incline, it's a sure bet to get that sound every time.

·
Administrator
20,333 Posts
I know I'm not driving a 70K truck, but my Land Cruiser before my Ridgeline had a buttery smooth transmission. This one seems to require a bit more pressure to put it into reverse or drive, and at that, it sometime makes an initial loud 'clunk' when doing so. I haven't noticed anything unusual in the way it drives. Is this a normal operative sound? Anyone? If I'm parked on an incline, it's a sure bet to get that sound every time.
My 2007's drivetrain clunked from day one, but only when I shifted INTO park - so did my buddy's 2005. My 2010 is much, much better in this regard. If you're referring to the amount of force required to be exerted on the shift lever, both my '07 and '10 required more force than most vehicles I've driven with column-mounted shifters. My '09 Silverado was much easier. My favorite shifter was in my G35 - it clicked into gear like a precision microswitch.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Set the parking brake before you lift your foot from the brake pedal. This keeps the truck from rolling against the parking dog. It should help alleviate alot of the clunking noise when shifting out of park.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Set the parking brake before you lift your foot from the brake pedal. This keeps the truck from rolling against the parking dog. It should help alleviate alot of the clunking noise when shifting out of park.
I have noticed that the parking brake has a fair bit of travel before it holds... but then it holds VERY well. I have gotten into a habit that's good with any automatic transmission: put it into neutral, set the parking brake, release the regular brake, then shift to park. I never have any shifting issues into or out of park.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
I have noticed that the parking brake has a fair bit of travel before it holds... but then it holds VERY well. I have gotten into a habit that's good with any automatic transmission: put it into neutral, set the parking brake, release the regular brake, then shift to park. I never have any shifting issues into or out of park.
Same here. I make sure the RL is being held by the E brake before shifting to Park.

On these type of posts, I'm never sure if the OP is talking about the clunk from the parking pawl when shifting out of Park with tension on it... or if they're talking about a different clunk when the transmission shifts into D or R.

On my RL, when I shift into D after backing out of the garage, I always get a double bump (but no clunk) and wait for that until I give it any power. My old T100 did the same thing. Not sure what that is. I think our Pilot does the same thing.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
On my RL, when I shift into D after backing out of the garage, I always get a double bump (but no clunk) and wait for that until I give it any power. My old T100 did the same thing. Not sure what that is. I think our Pilot does the same thing.
Plus, just as your start to move, the ABS may recalibrate, yielding an audible thump. It's very disconcerting if you don't know what it is.

It is amazing how much engineering work goes into making machines do things that users expect to happen without a fuss or any symptom of internal details. The details that do show, if they are common, get accepted and normalised.

For example, if Edison had succeeded in creating a viable automotive battery and electric cars became the norm decades ago, we'd laugh at the idea of piston engines in our vehicles. What? A series of wonky explosions to create a spinning driveshaft? You have to "warm up" the engine? Huge amounts of fuel energy are lost as heat? What rubbish!

Most people do not realise that Honda transmissions are completely different from most others in the industry. Some behaviour may differ. That said, it has come up a few times on the ROC that the use of non-Honda transmission fluid may have a significant detrimental effect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I will try setting the E brake in neutral before putting it in park. Most times this has been the issue on hills when coming out of park at the bottom of my driveway, but sometimes also clunking out of park into reverse just leaving the garage...not really a 'clunky transmission' otherwise. I just don't ever remember hearing my last Land Cruiser make as much noise coming out of park, on a hill or not, so it's a little jarring. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts