Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Meguiar’s Ultimate Black – Trim Restorer on the black exterior plastic? Wondering if it's too messy or if it is a good idea

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,726 Posts
I tried it on the black / charcoal trim on my Escape. It looked OK, wasn't difficult, but required frequent reapplication to keep the appearance consistent.

Personally I abandoned using it. For me it wasn't worth the hassle, I didn't feel it was meaningfully better than just normal washing maintenance for a useful duration (at least in Texas sun and heat).

I don't 'buy' that it'd make any real long-term difference as a 'protectant', but who knows. If the duration of the 'restored' appearance is any indication, it'd take frequent reapplication for that to work IME.

In summary IMO: good for a 'special occasion vehicle primping', not worth the hassle for ongoing daily life.

YMMV

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I have used Meguiar’s Ultimate Black – Trim Restorer on my Ridgeline. As mentioned by @CentexG2, the protection won't last more than about one month, but it looks really good when applied. It is not really messy to apply - just put a small amount on a microfiber towel and wipe it on the vehicle.

Reactions: mbertolero

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
235 Posts
I tested this on my bumper trim, just on the "step" section. Looked O.K. but about 2 weeks later I took a 5 mile drive on a dusty dirt road.
When I next checked the only part of the bumper that had a coating of dust was the treated part!
I'd look for something else that doesn't cause dust and dirt to cling to it.

Reactions: mbertolero

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use Meguiar’s Paint Protector. I don't know if it's protecting the paint but it sure brings back and keeps black and grey plastic trim on my wife's Pilot, my Corvette and now my Ridgeline. The local dollar store had it for a dollar. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use Adam's VRT tire and trim dressing. Works well so far. Takes less than 5 mins to do the trim + tires (note using a separate applicator for the trim and tires).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been really happy with Ultima Trim & Tire Guard Plus also known as UTTGP. I have not used it on this truck yet but it is one of the longest lasting products I have tried on trim. It is expensive but a bottle should go a long way (not as much on tires due to consistency) I have used it on other vehicles and it will last >1 month compared to back to black and etc.

few caveats include: it will attract dust initially and can be uneven if you are heavy handed on smooth surfaces. A little buffing will help in both of those scenarios

Further down the faded spectrum is Wipe New. It know it sounds like crap but will brighten already faded plastic for months.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah the problem is anything with oils will attract dirt. Related, I got it waxed and the idiots got wax on the black trim. Will the coating products help get that off? I’ve heard oil does a good job in general.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,759 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah the problem is anything with oils will attract dirt. Related, I got it waxed and the idiots got wax on the black trim. Will the coating products help get that off? I’ve heard oil does a good job in general.
GooGone or Simple Green. Either are effective. Once you remove it, have a spray bottle with soap solution to wash that area off to remove any residue of the cleaning products.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
GooGone or Simple Green. Either are effective. Once you remove it, have a spray bottle with soap solution to wash that area off to remove any residue of the cleaning products.
I'll have to try that because I've never had luck with anything. What I do is pretreat the black plastic with meguiars ultimate wax (says on the bottle it won't leave residue on plastic and it doesn't) and then wax away. I'd prefer a painted surface to avoid these extra steps.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Try Gold Eagle 303 Aerospace Protectant. Works great at restoring the OEM look to molding and tires without the shinny finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
99 Posts
I got it waxed and the idiots got wax on the black trim.
These may only be Canadian, but:

I found wax removal was easy with a "Simoniz Wax and Polish Remover". Essentially a black eraser that rubs off wax really well, even on the textured black plastic. But, it does dull the plastic where you rub it, so you need to follow it with some sort of treatment. I've tried "Silverwax Unpainted Mouldings Restorer". Going on 4 months and no significant fading back to grey from the black (produced in Quebec - probably only Canadian, eh). But don't put it on the step tread of the bumper, the treatment makes it very slippery!

(No, I don't work for CDN T.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simple green and some elbow grease worked well. Used Meguiar’s Ultimate Black after. Looks really good. I like the contrast of the deep black and off white. I did not go overboard on application and I wiped it with a fresh towel after to get ride of any extra product. I don't use anything on the tires, I just keep scrub them clean.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,759 Posts
I like the sign on the wall and $25 for storage is not that bad in Philly. I cant even imagine having a nice vehicle in Philly. I used to manage accounts by the Penn's Landing area and I used to cringe when I had to visit. Good thing I had my own space in the garages of my accounts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the sign on the wall and $25 for storage is not that bad in Philly. I cant even imagine having a nice vehicle in Philly. I used to manage accounts by the Penn's Landing area and I used to cringe when I had to visit. Good thing I had my own space in the garages of my accounts.
Yes, when I was street parking my previous car, I was going insane. People just hit you when parking. I paid extra for a parking spot when I got my truck and I only park it in garages.

Believe it or not, there is an Audi R8, Range Rover, and 2 new Porsches in the lot as well. If you have a parking spot and don't go downtown, it's not too bad.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll have to try that because I've never had luck with anything. What I do is pretreat the black plastic with meguiars ultimate wax (says on the bottle it won't leave residue on plastic and it doesn't) and then wax away. I'd prefer a painted surface to avoid these extra steps.
I got wax on my trim (my fault). I used a latex eraser (yeah, like you use in in the office), and then I followed up by spraying Simple Green on a wet cloth and cleaning the trim. That was followed by a thorough rinse and then a soap and water cleaning. I now use Turtle Wax Liquid Ice when I handwax the paint (2-3 times a year). I'll periodically apply 303 protectant to the plastics, and after two years in Houston, the plastic still looks quite good.

Now, in between the hand waxings, I'll go to the automatic Carwash and every three washes pick the wax option. Again, there really hasn't been a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts