Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting interested in getting a code reader that would allow me to check and reset codes. My RL is new, so it should be a while before I need to do much on that account, but my girlfriend has a ten-year-old Toyota Highlander. She recently had some exhaust work done on it including a catalytic converter replacement. Her check-engine light is still on (replacement was done by a local mechanic, not dealer). Would a code reader clear something like this, or is it a dealer issue? At any rate, what would be a decent reader that doesn't break the bank?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I am getting interested in getting a code reader that would allow me to check and reset codes. My RL is new, so it should be a while before I need to do much on that account, but my girlfriend has a ten-year-old Toyota Highlander. She recently had some exhaust work done on it including a catalytic converter replacement. Her check-engine light is still on (replacement was done by a local mechanic, not dealer). Would a code reader clear something like this, or is it a dealer issue? At any rate, what would be a decent reader that doesn't break the bank?
Got an android phone? Get the free torque app from Google play store and buy the mini elm327 obdii bluetooth code reader on ebay! Cost me $12

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I was looking at a sweet as all get out scan tool the other day on the Snap-On truck.
It was freaking amazing. Just under $10,000.00 though.

Code readers are WELL worth having and you can get them any where from pretty cheap to, well, a whole lot.

If you have some money to spend I would get one that not only reads codes but does some measure of data streaming. It is pretty neat to see what sensors are doing what and all the goings on in your system.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
OK, let's try this where my post got cancelled supposedly because of an identical thread? This thread wants to go the direction of using one's smart phone, what if I do not own a smart phone, can anybody recommend, and give advice on, an inexpensive stand alone reader?

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts