Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2006 ridgeline and my cool pack went out so my husband replaced it and also replaced all the spark plugs but still can not get the truck to start.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Moderator note: I moved and merged your post with your original thread which was mis-posted in the feedback forum.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
How about posting any other symptoms you observed? How long have you had the RL? What maintenance has been performed? Any recent maintenance or mods?

General location of your RL?

Edit: did your husband use the OEM sparkplugs? He should also check the starter cut relay.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If it was running and now "won't start", I'd first suspect some error during replacement of plugs & coil pack. Check to see that all coil packs are completely seated & installed in the correct locations (wires)... although that shouldn't be an issue. Retrace all steps taken during this work to ensure something has not be left "undone".

When you say "cannot get the truck to start", I assume you mean that the engine turns over (cranks) fine, but just won't fire up. Correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption. If I'm correct, then I'd ask if the engine "stumbles" as if trying to fire up, or if it just cranks over smoothly without firing up at all (different causes for these different symptoms)?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a 2006 ridgeline and my cool pack went out so my husband replaced it and also replaced all the spark plugs but still can not get the truck to start.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?
Can you tell us more? Which coil failed? The engine has six individual coils, one on each cylinder. Does the engine turn over with the key but just not start? Or does it not even crank?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How did you find out a coil failed? Check engine light? Do you know what code came up?
There is a way to test if you are getting spark but its kind of a leave it to the pros kinda way...

·
Registered
277 Posts
An engine needs three things to start (and run): air, spark, and fuel.

I'm assuming that it has enough air to start -- your intake system and filter would have to be completely plugged for this to be an issue, and it's likely not.

I'm also assuming that it has enough spark to start. Sure, one coil may be flaky, but with the other five coils, it would start and run, though it'd certainly be a little rough. I hate to ask you to check the obvious, but since your husband replaced the spark plugs -- check to be sure that the spark plugs are torqued correctly and that the coils are fully seated on the plugs, are retained by the small nut or bolt for each one, and are plugged in with their harness connectors. In the excitement of changing them out and trying to get it to start, I suppose it's possible that the wiring connections to the coils were forgotten (so none of them would be providing any spark).

If it cranks smoothly and doesn't even cough or attempt to start, then I'm guessing that it's not getting fuel. I would check the fuel pump fuse closely; swap it with a similar fuse even. Turn the key on (but don't crank it) and listen for the fuel pump to run for a few seconds. If you don't hear ANYTHING when you turn the key on, it's likely that your pump is not running (for some reason). It could just be the fuse.

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
Have you verified the starter cut relay yet?

You might also update your profile and indicate your location. Perhaps someone knowledgeable lives nearby and could take a look with you.

Edit: definitely check fuses.. especially #2 in the under dash fuse box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back and rechecked all the spark plugs everything was good there and than we replaced the starter relay still nothing. It cranks and sounds like it wants to start but it won't

·
Registered
246 Posts
when you turn the ignition on, does a 'green key' light flash in the instrument panel?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Check all the fuses.
Under dash panel #19 15A fuel pump would be a start for me.
Can you hear the pump kick in priming before you try to start?

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
It has to be something simple. And yet sometimes those are the most difficult to find!

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
If it was a local vehicle, I'd like to poke my head under the hood and see if there's anything that stands out to me, but I have no idea where they're located.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts