Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Replacing the spark plugs in a 2008 RL RTX with 144k this morning. Pulled the front three coil packs and as you can see in the photo the two on the right have some brown discoloration on them. (The back three look fine) Any idea what causes this? And if I should replace them? Anything to be worried about? There’s no hesitation, misfires, or codes…just doing some maintenance. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I pulled mine to check the tourque on the plugs in the front, my left coil and middle coil looked exactly like your middle and right coil. Were any of the front plugs loose when you changed them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I pulled mine to check the tourque on the plugs in the front, my left coil and middle coil looked exactly like your middle and right coil. Were any of the front plugs loose when you changed them?
The middle and right plug were not loose, but not terribly tight either when I removed them. I assume there was some blow by that caused the discoloration Not sure if this damages the coil or is just unsightly to look at. What should the torque be on plugs by the way?

·
Registered
351 Posts
No need to change them if they are working and you have checked your torque on your plugs. Mine also have some of the brown discoloration, but it's not excessive. If they get oil, then you have to get tube seals for your valve covers. Is #6 a little wet with oil?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,443 Posts
The middle and right plug were not loose, but not terribly tight either when I removed them. I assume there was some blow by that caused the discoloration Not sure if this damages the coil or is just unsightly to look at. What should the torque be on plugs by the way?
For 2006-2008, the torque is 13 lb-ft:
Rectangle Font Parallel Drawing Paper product

For 2009-2014, the torque is 16 lb-ft:
Font Parallel Number Rectangle Document

Attachments

Reactions: Vlad the Impaler

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No need to change them if they are working and you have checked your torque on your plugs. Mine also have some of the brown discoloration, but it's not excessive. If they get oil, then you have to get tube seals for your valve covers. Is #6 a little wet with oil?
I thought it had a little oil on #6 so I just pulled the coil again just now to make sure. Turns out, no oil just really shiny. That coil was the plug which required the least effort to remove.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That was speedlever with the torque. Credit where credit is due! Glad you're getting what you need.

Reactions: speedlever
1 - 9 of 9 Posts