Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a high pitch noise from engine at first start in cold weather below freezing temp. The colder the worse it is. In warmer weather no noise. The dealer finally came up with starter motor replacement has anybody had this happen? pricey fix at $825 Can. it's a 2010 with 115000 klm thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
A quick little "wrrr" upon start up is normal in cold weather.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would make sure the starter is operating properly and the noise isn't the starter bendix failing to retract which can cause wear on the flywheel.
$825 ?? I think a OEM starter is around $280-300.00 off the net and rebuilt around $150-200 ish.
At 825 he wouldn't touch mine

Reactions: CallahanSeanR

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
I don't know what it is. I have seen speculation on this forum that it is the power steering pump.
That would be my guess also.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Change the PS Fluid first, many threads on that here

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,430 Posts
I have the exact same problem and it only occurs when it's cold. Originally, I thought it was the belt slipping and my dealership's mechanic thought it was the belt tensioner not doing its job. Which appears to be wrong since they replaced it and I still have the same problem.

skelley521 may be right, it could be the bendix gear not retracting fast enough when it's cold (http://youtu.be/RKjdnQ0sHQc?t=13m48s). I'll bring that up the next time I stop by my dealership for service.

·
Registered
579 Posts
stormy, I can not for the life of me comprehend that dealer price for a starter swap.
I would literally laugh in their faces, say thanks but no thanks and walk out and never return....on a good day.
On a bad day, I'd prolly punch him and say "that's for thinking I'm stupid"....lol.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
I suggest you buy an inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope and verify where the noise is coming from. I did this to track down a whine to an alternator.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This may not be related but I remember that my former Ridge, at cold temps startup, made an owl sound. Kind of a brief whooo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine does it, too. Our MDX had the starter noise where the gear didn't retract, and the noise the RL makes is a distinctly different sound. A high pitched owl "whooo" is a good way to describe it. It's only VERY momentary after the engine fires. I did put a new serpentine belt on it to eliminate that possibility, but that didn't change it whatsoever. The power steering system is an interesting idea.

Do other Honda V-6s (Odysseys, Pilots, Accords, etc) that may use the same power steering pump do this also? I've never heard the noise out of our MDX which, I presume, uses a very similar power steering pump.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
I have never heard that sound in any of the 5 Hondas we've owned since 1996!

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Here is another example of the sound mine is making just after startup on cold days. Hopefully you can hear it over the seat belt warning chime.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts