Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a few of us are having the cold start noise. ( usually 25 degrees or less and the first start makes a zipping sound) Has anyone taken their RL in to have this looked at yet?

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a Honda "feature" It's 6 degrees here right now and I expect to hear the sound when I start my 03 Accord in about an hour.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed the same thing after a cold snap in Colorado. I took it in and after it cooled down they heard the noise for a second. The dealer ordered a new belt tensioner and a new belt, I'm awaiting the call that the part came in. I will post when the repair is completed and if it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeap. I hear the same sound every morning, during cold starts below freezing, when the truck has sit overnight.

Can only duplicate under those conditions. Thus making it that much harder for the dealer to identify when I do take it in.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hmmm. No problem here. I start mine at around 25 degrees sometimes and have had nothing unusual. I will keep my ears tuned though.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
basils said:
Hmmm. No problem here. I start mine at around 25 degrees sometimes and have had nothing unusual. I will keep my ears tuned though.
Mine doesn't do it at 25, but it does at 20. Keep your ears open as the temps fall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
get it every moring myself , at first i thought it was a problem with the starter , havent called the dealer yet to let them know , wanted to see if someone had this as well here

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the same sound for a second on 1st start up in cold weather too.
I get the same sound from Chev Express work van too, also the same with my previous vehicle which was a Chev Astro.
sounds like a normal thing to me;) ....I think:confused:
But I have a problem when my Honda sounds like a Chevy:) I'll mention it to the dealer next time I am in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I definitely have the noise...kind of a grinding-of-the-gears sound. At first I thought it might have me holding the key too long in the start position. But now after testing I'm convinced the sound definitely isn't caused by anything I'm doing during the start process.

I definitely don't like grinding sounds during the first month. I'll be watching this thread and talking to the dealer soon.

Thanks to all who post here - as a one month new owner I continue to be amazed at all the valuable info that is posted and available. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I noticed this sound on mine as well and seen this thread. Just wondering if anyone got an answer from honda as to what it is. Doesn't sound healthy to me. It makes that sound as though you were to turn the ignition and hold it after it's started. As with everyone else, it's only during a cold start and only for a second.
I'll be taking my truck in this week to fix a leak. I'll try to remember to ask about it then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This post is by no means official, but i heard the noise the last couple of mornings. it has been below 20 in the mornings here. The noise is the same noise i used to get with my 03 F250. it was the power steering pump. Except on the ford, it used to last for close to a minute, or until i moved the steering wheel.
I think it may have something to do with the type of power steering fluid that is now in use. in the 3 years i owned the ford, it never got worse or better. it was something i got used to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, I got it too...but I also had it on my '99 Dakota. Never seemed to hurt anything and only happens below 25 degrees or so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my friend and i both have Ridgelines and both have the same noise for a few seconds when it dips down below freezing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
we have it up here also. fortunately it happens in many other makes and models. that i have driven. i guess the cold here in canada is more common.:D i have had it in a jeep,chevy venture, and astro for sure oh and yes the ridge. has to be cold to here it. sounds like a blader(gas pump) when it is priming for the first time in the cold. never asked a mech or had anything done to my other trucks. hope this helps

locdoc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts