Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2019 Sport for a little over a month (< 1000 km) and today I had it towed to the dealer. A minor issue by the sound of it only I'm not sure (and neither is the dealer) of what the issue is. We've had several nights of -35C so I've kept the block heater plugged in. Started it without a problem this morning and drove to friends - about 15 mins drive, and left the truck unplugged for about an hour and when I went to start it got the 'keyless start system problem' warning. I guess I'm still not comfortable with the push button start and tried a few pushes with the brake depressed and otherwise. At one point the engine did kick in then died. I phoned the dealer for advice - which was to get it towed in. After the tow truck was requested (could be up to 5 hours I was told) I tried it again with the the same outcome other than the engine turning over but not catching and the dash lighting up with all sorts of warnings.

The dealer hooked it up to the scanner and got code P0087 - Fuel pressure test low, cleared the codes and reset, and I got my truck back which I was most thankful for. However I didn't really get an explanation of what caused the problem. A suggestion from a friend, a little more mechanical savvy than me, suggested a vapor lock in the fuel line due to cold and only half a tank of gas - I'll try and get some more info from the service tech tomorrow. I'm also thankful this didn't happen in the bush, out of cel range which it easily could have. Lost a little bit of confidence today so I'm going to have to find out if there's a way to get it started on my own if this happens again.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had my 2019 Sport for a little over a month (< 1000 km) and today I had it towed to the dealer. A minor issue by the sound of it only I'm not sure (and neither is the dealer) of what the issue is. We've had several nights of -35C so I've kept the block heater plugged in. Started it without a problem this morning and drove to friends - about 15 mins drive, and left the truck unplugged for about an hour and when I went to start it got the 'keyless start system problem' warning. I guess I'm still not comfortable with the push button start and tried a few pushes with the brake depressed and otherwise. At one point the engine did kick in then died. I phoned the dealer for advice - which was to get it towed in. After the tow truck was requested (could be up to 5 hours I was told) I tried it again with the the same outcome other than the engine turning over but not catching and the dash lighting up with all sorts of warnings.

The dealer hooked it up to the scanner and got code P0087 - Fuel pressure test low, cleared the codes and reset, and I got my truck back which I was most thankful for. However I didn't really get an explanation of what caused the problem. A suggestion from a friend, a little more mechanical savvy than me, suggested a vapor lock in the fuel line due to cold and only half a tank of gas - I'll try and get some more info from the service tech tomorrow. I'm also thankful this didn't happen in the bush, out of cel range which it easily could have. Lost a little bit of confidence today so I'm going to have to find out if there's a way to get it started on my own if this happens again.
A few more thoughts:

Something I neglected to mention which I was reminded of when reading some previous posts. At some point in my attempts to start - and I can't remember the sequence, the brake was rigid in the raised position and I could not depress the pedal to even try to start. I didn't attempt to force it.

Another thing nagging at me is that I had started it remotely from inside the house - at least I thought I had but it was off when I got outside which was within the 10 min running time. Not sure how this would effect things but I think it has to be an electronics issue not a cold weather problem.

When the tow truck driver got in (I had gone home and left the key with my friend), it started without any problems.

I didn't get any further enlightenment from the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.