Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and sorry if this has been asked already, I could not find within this forum, I was trying to find this device and seems it is not produced anymore. Only way is make it yourself by ordering circuit boards.
First question is there any place which still sells this thing?
I tried contact Comma regarding this, but did not get any reply.

Second does it really help with 25mph ACC limit? will ACC work as full range (low speed follow)?
is there a point buying Comma 3 if ACC still have 25 MPH limit?

On my other car I use ACC for highway driving and it is supper helpful in stop-go traffic. I think it handles it better then driver. Honda's ACC limitations makes whole system kinda useless.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Buy this now while it's in stock, it's needed on the RL:
1. Splitter for Comma Pedal | Etsy
And this when it comes back in stock, just asked the guy who makes it and says it'll be back in stock around christmas or right after:
2. Comma Pedal Toyota Honda GM VW Benz | Etsy

It DOES make it work down to zero and back up, you may want to run a custom fork (think of it as a modified OS for the Comma)..

That said, I'd buy a C2, the C3 really doesn't do anything more ontop of the C2.. or go super cheap and it all can be done for under 500 bucks using a china version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy this now while it's in stock, it's needed on the RL:
1. Splitter for Comma Pedal | Etsy
And this when it comes back in stock, just asked the guy who makes it and says it'll be back in stock around christmas or right after:
2. Comma Pedal Toyota Honda GM VW Benz | Etsy

It DOES make it work down to zero and back up, you may want to run a custom fork (think of it as a modified OS for the Comma)..

That said, I'd buy a C2, the C3 really doesn't do anything more ontop of the C2.. or go super cheap and it all can be done for under 500 bucks using a china version.
Thank you very much. ordered the first part second is not available yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is there a ballpark cost on the Comma Pedal? When they do become available, of course.

Edit- I would definitely have to buy a complete unit.

·
Registered
2022 RTL Modern Steel Metallic (coming soon)
58 Posts
Is there any risk of safety here? Just curious as I had never heard of these before and have two young kids I tow around in my RL.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the cost was about 125. bucks or some where around there for the pedal.

There is ALWAYS a safety risk. Never trust anything but yourself 100%. I would be much more vigilant if the kids were in the car, probably would only use the steering aspect of the system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Finally got the splitter today.. hooked it up and the pedal + splitter has the system as close to a tesla as it's ever going to get.

It does hit the brakes all the way down to zero (with the aragon fork which keeps the abs pump quieter).. and will start back up without any intervention.

It DOES NOT steer under 11mph. Which actually is nice, it's perfect for parking lots and low speed driving..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got the splitter today.. hooked it up and the pedal + splitter has the system as close to a tesla as it's ever going to get.

It does hit the brakes all the way down to zero (with the aragon fork which keeps the abs pump quieter).. and will start back up without any intervention.

It DOES NOT steer under 11mph. Which actually is nice, it's perfect for parking lots and low speed driving..
Any issues so far with the Comma Pedal? I am waiting for them to get it back in stock. If the system works even half as well as advertised, I will be so estatic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So far there is some kind of issue with the 22 ridgeline and the pedal. I'm trying to work it out with the guys writing the code. People using the pedal on a 21 pilot have no issues.

The issue is 30% of the time when in a situation where the car infront of you is SLOWLY slowing down, for some reason the whole system shuts off and you are back in command. It may just be my specific pedal as I wired it incorrectly the first time.. hopefully that's the problem, however I'm not sure.

The unknown part of this is that if a car quickly slows down it does work as advertised, all the way down to 0 and back up to whatever speed traffic is going.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
220 Posts
@RTLZ — You’re blazing the trail and I’m one of your followers.

I’m ready for the Comma Pedal as soon as they’re in stock and YOU’VE worked-out the bugs for the rest of us!

I wish they’d close the highway following distance in Open Pilot — but we’re taking baby steps here and I see a lot of potential with these units.

I’ve got about 2,000-miles on my Comma 3 and am getting ready to put a few hundred more on it this morning!

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
After a little bout with the Corona virus I'm back on the path to figuring this out. Just sent some logs over to some people today.

V2500 - have you had any kind of situation where the comma 3 disconnects for no reason at all? Some ridgelines come with "noisy" gas pedals.. the stock system ignores noise from the gas pedal, but open pilot doesn't. Wondering if my truck has one of these gas pedals that will throw the system off.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
220 Posts
After a little bout with the Corona virus I'm back on the path to figuring this out. Just sent some logs over to some people today.

V2500 - have you had any kind of situation where the comma 3 disconnects for no reason at all? Some ridgelines come with "noisy" gas pedals.. the stock system ignores noise from the gas pedal, but open pilot doesn't. Wondering if my truck has one of these gas pedals that will throw the system off.

Hey @RTLZ — I was wondering where you’ve been, glad to hear you’re back on the path!

No, the Comma 3 (C3) seems to be working pretty good in this truck. I’ve got over [EDIT] 2,000-miles 2,500-miles on it in my 2021 RTL-E. I wish the following distance was a little closer at highway speeds — there’s too much space for someone to pull-in in-front of me.

It works really well on the Carolina backroads around here in all kinds of weather conditions. Between the holidays, we took a drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway (around the Linn Cove Viaduct area). We drove about 300-miles, all on back roads, up-and-down hills (altitude change from 650-feet to above 4,500-feet above sea level). I engaged the C3 for as much of that drive as possible and I actually clocked the best gas mileage ever on this truck at 23.9MPG (calculated using the Fuelly App — not the truck display which was at 25.3MPG). Pretty good considering the hill climbs we encountered.

The Ridgeline is the weak point in the system — sometimes it’ll bitch at me while taking a curve. Sometimes I just let it go and it’ll make it without intervention. Other times (sharper curves or faster speeds), I may have to help a little (by helping it steer around the curve and then just letting-go of the steering wheel again) where it will center-the-lane and just keep-on going.

My only other complaint is the lag in acceleration after it reengages. For instance, say I disengage it because I can see traffic slowing ahead of me. The traffic starts moving again and I hit resume on the steering wheel. There is a “lag” after I tap resume and when the truck actually starts to accelerate back up to the selected speed before I disengage it.

The Comma could drive for hundreds of miles without ever requiring me to touch the steering wheel on most Interstate Highways (I can’t allow it to do that due to required comfort breaks!) — but the Comma would have no problem doing it.

At the end of the day, it does a lot to reduce driver fatigue and I suspect it will get better as they release updates to the software (called Openpilot). After all, they aren’t even up to Openpilot Version 1 yet (currently at v0.8.12)!

I am waiting for you to work the bugs out of the Comma Pedal and walk me through that for better slow-and-go driving (because the Ridgeline isn’t capable of true stop-and-go driving).

Thanks for asking…

·
Registered
119 Posts
" lag in acceleration after it reengages. "

The pedal solves this problem. It accelerates just as fast as you and I would. It's almost too agressive! I wonder if the problem I'm seeing is C2 vs C3 .. hmm

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
220 Posts
" lag in acceleration after it reengages. "

The pedal solves this problem. It accelerates just as fast as you and I would. It's almost too agressive! I wonder if the problem I'm seeing is C2 vs C3 .. hmm
I thought (at least for now), the C2 and C3 were equals until Openpilot (the software) starts taking advantage of the C3’s hardware advances?

I hope you get it figured-out so you can walk me through the Pedal (when they’re available).

Sorry ROC members who may not know what we’re talking about! You can see the Comma hardware by visiting their site: comma – introducing comma three

If you’re interested, you can find plenty of YouTube videos too.

Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought (at least for now), the C2 and C3 were equals until Openpilot (the software) starts taking advantage of the C3’s hardware advances?

I hope you get it figured-out so you can walk me through the Pedal (when they’re available).

Sorry ROC members who may not know what we’re talking about! You can see the Comma hardware by visiting their site: comma – introducing comma three

If you’re interested, you can find plenty of YouTube videos too.

Cheers

I just ordered the Comma 2, gonna do the "try it for 90 days to see if I want to upgrade" thing.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
220 Posts
I just ordered the Comma 2, gonna do the "try it for 90 days to see if I want to upgrade" thing.
@lanejustin good for you! Did your order the harness too? If not, better get one on order now. @RTLZ is the expert — just let us know if you have any questions — he has the C2 and I have the C3. Cheers…

·
Registered
68 Posts
One more time, for us older folks.
Do I just need a comma pedal device, at my gas pedal or do I need some type of other interface device as well?

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
220 Posts
One more time, for us older folks.
Do I just need a comma pedal device, at my gas pedal or do I need some type of other interface device as well?
The Comma 2 or 3 will work out of the box, but you DO have to purchase the Ridgeline specific harness to connect the C2/3 to the truck (it goes under the rearview mirror cover with USB C cable that comes from under the cover and connects to the Comm

I do not have the Pedal. From what I understand, the Pedal provides slow-and-go (or better slow-and-go) than the OEM system provides. The truck will NOT provide true stop-and-go driving because of the limitations of the Ridgeline itself. The low speed and steering limits are provided in the Table on the Comma.ai website — here:

EDIT: Here’s another link with some basic information about this:

Car Sky Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 44 Posts