Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is here! I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk when the new phone book comes. Going to get to work on getting it going but it might take me all weekend.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heading out now. 😬 I could not find a video how how to mount the device so it dose not block the auto high-beams. I love that feature, do not want to loose it.
My auto high beams have come on 1 single time since I purchased the truck, and was in the middle of a lit area during sunset.

.................speechless.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My auto high beams have come on 1 single time since I purchased the truck, and was in the middle of a lit area during sunset.

.................speechless.
mine work really well. they can even tell the difference (most of the time) between road markers and tail lights.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alrighty! Installed pretty quickly and mostly painless but getting the cover off the camera was impossible till I found a tool I used to remove the door panel. That made it a breeze.

I dont know how long it took but if you go by the amount of cursing, figure about 20-30 choice words and thats a rough estimate.

It went in fair easily once I got the cover off. The wire JUST makes the distance to the port.
So far, eh! I it works much better on main roads and expressways, it was almost flawless. It cannot make most sharp turns but that is to be expected. it was not designed to handle sharp turns.

Most other times it held the line well, driving almost dead center of the lane. it did work on a 25MPH side street which was not well marked and was very narrow. It was the street that I first tried it!

Going to try to get some video up soon, maybe tomorrow/

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is a little 5 minutes video, muted for your benefit. All the cursing and mumbling to myself could cause PTSD. Getting off at the SA (highway sign), it did not want to change lanes. At one point, it thought about getting off a ramp when I did not have the signal on, but stayed on the highway without assistance. It works well, but is nowhere near a self driving car. On many curves, it would not turn, I would get a message that the turn was too sharp (in so many words). It also has a feature that watches you to make sure you are paying attention. It worked fairly well, but was not 100%. The lane change feature is good. You put on your signal and tug on the wheel and it makes the lane change for you! It DOES NOT stop at red lights or stop signs. In the Ridgeline, comma.ai shuts off at 25 mph.
The auto high-beam DOES NOT WORK! I am very bummed about that. The comma device is directly behind the sensor for the auto high-beams so the sensor thinks it is daylight. I tried to shut the screen of the comma device off, but it doesn't seem possible. I didn't want to mount the comma device any lower then it is. Oh well.
It did work on local streets with 25 mph speeds and no traffic line on the right side of the lane. It drove a little too close to the side but the roads in my neighbor hood are ...old. No clearly defined lane.
Overall, it does what they say it will do. Level two autopilot. On the highways and intestate this is where the comma.ai would shine. I can't wait to take a road trip.
At $999 plus $199 for the cable you need to connect it to the vehicle, it is not cheap.
Is it worth it? I think it will be a 50/50 split. Those who don't want any gadget to drive or even help drive their vehicle will not get one. Those who like the 15 second self steering feature (Lane keeping assist) will love it. I love it. I drove 30 minutes without TOUCHING the wheel, but as soon as I took my eyes off the road, even to just look at the speedometer, it started beeping like mad. In that sense, it seemed safer then the tesla autopilot which is easily tricked.
Overall, I love it and will not be returning it. I hope it lasts a long time, or at least long enough for my Cybertruck to get here...
EDIT-just realized if you play it at 2x speed, you can see what driving 120 mph is like.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those who like the 15 second self steering feature (Lane keeping assist) will love it.
I like the 15 second self steering feature when it works, but what I don't like:
  • It often "pulls" to the left and then I get a LKAS warning. Not always, and when it does, 80% of the time it's to the left.
  • It can only handle the mildest of turns
  • The 15 seconds part
I don't want the truck to make decisions about changing lanes for me. But I would like it to keep itself in its lane and adjust following distance.

Is the ACC's very sluggish acceleration and sometimes harsh braking improved with this?

I am super interested in your experiment :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
It seems like a cool piece of tech, but at the end of the day, what's the point? I mean if you can't close your eyes and go to sleep, and you have to look straight ahead you might as well be driving. Right? Not to mention where do you put your hands on long trips that's not on the wheel and is comfortable all while never looking away from the road?'

I'm all for self driving cars, and if I could ever sleep on the way into work that would be a huge win, but I don't see that happening in the next 20 years at least, and I'm not working that long.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the 15 second self steering feature when it works, but what I don't like:
  • It often "pulls" to the left and then I get a LKAS warning. Not always, and when it does, 80% of the time it's to the left.
  • It can only handle the mildest of turns
  • The 15 seconds part
I made some impressive sweeping turns. But they had to be very sweeping.
The 15 seconds is gone. On my trips cross country, before the comma, two years ago, I made 2 minutes on a dead straight road but the truck tricked itself into thinking I had moved the wheel. It would do that shake to alert you to steer, but it would sometimes reset itself.

I don't want the truck to make decisions about changing lanes for me. But I would like it to keep itself in its lane and adjust following distance.
it does not make the decision, you make that choice, you must turn on the signal and tug on the wheel for it to change lanes. I think you can just change lanes normally, but I didn't even try it.
Is the ACC's very sluggish acceleration and sometimes harsh braking improved with this?
The acceleration was not improved but I don't know who the braking. I was mostly on the highway.
I am super interested in your experiment :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems like a cool piece of tech, but at the end of the day, what's the point? I mean if you can't close your eyes and go to sleep, and you have to look straight ahead you might as well be driving. Right? Not to mention where do you put your hands on long trips that's not on the wheel and is comfortable all while never looking away from the road?'

I'm all for self driving cars, and if I could ever sleep on the way into work that would be a huge win, but I don't see that happening in the next 20 years at least, and I'm not working that long.
ok

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coming from an '18 Accord EX, I had to make some serious adjustments in my attitude when I began driving my new '19 RL and its AI. The ACC is severely crippled in the RL (no slow follow,) the brake hold is GONE, the auto high beam is inconsistant, and LKAS is even less effective than the Accord's. I really like the RL and its many features and capabilities, but it ain't perfect, folks!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had an interesting trip home from work. I was on a single lane road (each way) and was coming up to a red light with cars in front of me. I covered the brake knowing the ACC would disable at 25mph. Well, it didn't! it braked slowly till a complete stop, then held the brake on at the red light. When the light turned green it released the brake but only then did I get a message saying speed too low and it didn't accelerate.
That was the first time it did that, it is NOT supposed to be able to do that and I am still baffled as to how it is even possible. I think I received an up date the night before but I dont know what is new in the update. When I have some time I can check into it.

Also, if I cover the comma screen, turn on the auto brights, they will work for a while. but it must be right on the verge of being too much light so they turn off again.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
320 Posts
I'm assuming the light from the screen coming up from under the sensor, Why not build a little shield on top of the screen, like a sun visor (baseball cap style). you could just cut out a piece of black(ish) cardboard to test the theory, and if that works search for a black plastic guard that will fit.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm assuming the light from the screen coming up from under the sensor, Why not build a little shield on top of the screen, like a sun visor (baseball cap style). you could just cut out a piece of black(ish) cardboard to test the theory, and if that works search for a black plastic guard that will fit.
Yes, I am going to try that. I double checked it this morning and it would engage when I covered the screen and might last more then one on off cycle...seemed random before I had to cover it up again.

I also did not calibrate it correctly when I first installed the comma 2. I started the truck and it said calibrating....then it was done..if was laying on my lap, I didnt know it was going to do that. Today I decided to change something (I forgot what it was!) and it said it had to reboot. It rebooted and said calibrating....increase speed to 17mph! I will see if there are any changes.

And several times the truck came to a complete stop behind traffic stopping for a light, all the way to 0mph, and 2 an 3mph and each time it held the brakes on while sitting at the light. When the vehicle in front of me moved, it DID release the brakes but immediately gave the message to manually drive, speed too slow.

I still love it and the new feature (?) that comes to a COMPLETE stop make me want a full self driving vehicle.
But, it must shut off as soon as I touch the brake pedal. Starting off, by itself, when traffic moves would be a GREAT addition. I wonder if they are working on that...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts