Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you new owners tried out the sand mode or mud mode?
Would be interested in your experiences with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has dared to take their new 2017 RL off paved roads yet?

Too bad Northernlights did not buy one. He would have an off road report by now! >:)

·
Registered
169 Posts

Too bad Northernlights did not buy one. He would have an off road report by now! >:)
I was on a dirt road last week but there wasn't any mud or sand.. so I didn't have to use those modes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The mud one needs to have a camera showing the truck going through the mud. Seems like I am more interested in how the trucks tires are going through mud that where the truck is going.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

Me & my friends went out to our hunting land this weekend too clear approximately 3 acres & plant soybeans. Plus we did a little trail maintenance. If I would've bought a G2 it would've been there. We used my friends F150 on 34's to pull the cut up, 10' to 14' length, tree trunk & limbs across the creek & up the hill a little out of the way. When we started the tree removal I told my friend, now I see why you wanted me to ride with you because it's a light truck duty day. He said, this is one time I should've told you to drive to so I could watch you pull your truck in half.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Heading up to Godiva Peak in Eureka, Utah Friday. That'll be a good climb up a mountain with some good rock hopping but unfortunately no mud or sand up there.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
What do we know about the differences between mud/sand/snow selections? Is that an improvement over the G1's manual VTM-4 lock and ability to disable VSA for sand, mud, and deep snow... which allows wheelspin in order to maintain momentum? Is there a VSA disable switch on the panel? I assume the G2 still has VSA?

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
So, the best chance of having a bit of "juvenile fun" in the G2 may be in "sand" mode (which offers the most rear bias) "snow"mode (which offers more rear bias) while driving on snow or ice with the VSA switched "off"*.

*It seems like Honda have changed their VSA logic in recent years. VSA now allows a bit more wheel spin when "on" and turning it "off" no longer completely turns it off, but rather turns it "down". :)

EDIT: Sorry, kids - "Daddy took the T-bird away."

"This button is on the driver side control panel.
To partially disable VSA® functionality/
features, press and hold it until you hear a
beep.

With the button pressed, your vehicle will have
normal braking and cornering ability, but VSA®
traction and stability enhancement becomes less
effective.

When the button is pressed, the traction control
function becomes less effective. This allows for the
wheels to spin more freely at low speed. You should
only attempt to free your vehicle with the VSA® off if
you are not able to free it when the VSA® is on."

Notice that pressing the VSA button on the G2 no longer turns off traction control and vehicle stability assist completely like it did in the G1.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
Interesting article. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have been using my new RTL at the Texas Gulf Coast beach, and have used the Sand mode each time. Mix of hard pack and some wind-blown loose sand about 6 -8 inches deep. When in Sand mode, pressing the accelerator slightly gives immediate response to the drivetrain and starts the truck moving. Have to be careful to watch the speed so the truck doesn't jump past 15 mph limit on the beach. Oh, Traction control indicator symbol shows off in Sand mode. Will have to defer to experts if this is actuall off or just low level operation.

Contrast with Normal mode where there is a slow engagement as you press the accelerator and you have the ability to creep very very slowly. So far in Sand mode seems to be surefooted, although this darn truck is just too new for me to venture into the really deep loose sand or try a standing start in the moderate depth loose sand.

And too purty to take into mud. So far, anyway.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I found another review at the bottom of the page after reading the review in your link. LOL! Great quote concerning the competition.
I remember thinking the Chevrolet Colorado was a revolution in well-behaved pickup trucks when I first drove it over a year ago, but man, that thing feels as refined as a railroad shunter compared to the Honda. And by the same measure the new Toyota Tacoma might as well have been forged by hand at a medieval blacksmith’s shop.
From here.
The 2017 Honda Ridgeline Is Solid, But A Little Too Much Accord For Its Own Good

And from even another review, is the most accurate quote.
Most pickup owners will look at the Ridgeline and laugh, as they cruise around in their big, manly, full-size, V8-powered trucks, getting 12 miles per gallon because occasionally they have to carry a chair.
from here.
http://jalopnik.com/if-the-honda-ridgeline-fails-its-because-pickup-truck-b-1752719068

·
Registered
63 Posts
When in Sand mode, pressing the accelerator slightly gives immediate response to the drivetrain and starts the truck moving. Have to be careful to watch the speed so the truck doesn't jump past 15 mph limit on the beach.

So if I understand you correctly, do you suggest using sand mode for drag racing?:wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Today during my lunch break I played with the different driving modes some. I have to say that Sand mode is a lot of fun! With all other modes the difference was subtle, but in Sand mode there is a dramatic difference.

It seems like I heard/read that the 0-60 time isn't improved with Sand mode over Normal mode, but I don't see how this is possible because the truck jumps off the line and it doesn't shift until a much higher RPM.

It seems like it keeps the truck one gear lower (maybe even 2 gears at higher speeds) than it would be in Normal mode. This makes it so that tapping the gas causes the truck to really jump forward. Obviously the engine noise is louder (which sounds good when accelerating) and fuel consumption I'm sure is much higher.

Sand mode might come to be known as "Sport" mode...

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do you think sand mode would work for towing?
All I know is that it feels like over drive is turned off, there is a message on the screen that says something about traction control being reduced or disabled (allowing for some wheel spin I if needed I believe), the throttle is very sensitive, and the shift points are much higher.

I found it interesting that I can turn Sand mode on (which makes for fast acceleration), but also turn ECO mode ON (which basically does the opposite of Sand mode). I didn't test acceleration with both options turned on, I'll do that as I'm leaving the office today. Hopefully the truck doesn't get confused and explode as soon as I press the gas. :)

·
Administrator
14,918 Posts
I wouldn't use anything but normal mode in traffic on dry pavement. Why?

1. We don't know what damage or excessive wear (if any) might be occurring to clutches in the iVTM-4 unit. The vehicle allows other modes to be selected and the manual doesn't specifically warn against using other modes on dry pavement, but there's still reason 2 below. For G2 owners who aren't familiar with the G1, the G1 had a "VTM-4 LOCK" mode that could "lock" the rear wheels to help get you unstuck. It would only work in 1st, 2nd, or reverse. Using it on dry pavement results in increased wear and likely damage to the VTM-4 unit.

2. In sand mode, the throttle becomes very sensitive. Just touching the accelerator pedal seems to produce about 1/3 throttle or more - the vehicle can dart out into traffic unexpectedly. Do NOT use this in a parking lot! You've been warned! It wouldn't surprise me if Honda release a software and/or manual update to alter or warn against using the function except for the intended purpose.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts