Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to see what I could get in an F150 at the same cost as a new RTL-T. I was a happy F150 owner for about a dozen years, before buying my current ride, an '11 RTL Ridge.

I like the '11 but dislike its lousy gas mileage. We run across I-80 a lot at 82mph and only get 18.3 mpg. Our eye has been on a new RTL-T, but yesterday we stopped in at a Ford dealer and asked which F150 we could have at the same cost or less that the RTL-Ts number of about $39K.

We were shown an XLT F150 Sport with the V6 twin turbo engine, the 302A Sport package, and some other goodies, that brought the sticker up to about $48K, but that the current incentives plus deal if you let Ford finance it for zero percent, brought the cost just under the RTL-T.

So, no CarPlay, no blind spot camera, no leather seats, but otherwise, a great comparison. And the fabric upholstery was wonderfully rich looking.

The problem is with the mileage, which is advertised as comparable with the Honda, but the field reports say is terribly under the stated figures. Some say we can expect well under 20 mpg ON AVERAGE.

Reactions: bearjj9

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was a loyal '02 f150 super crew owner 14 years,255,000 miles no major mechanical problems, besides the ageing interior and three broken seat belts it had been an awesome truck! Not impressed with fords current offerings...gas mileage unchanged, few different styling bells and whistles is about all I could see,kind of disappointing. Looking towards the future with gas prices bound to go up and wanting a little more from the technological side as well as wanting the practicality of a truck I felt I was doomed. I had succumbed to wait it out a few more years,but I thought I would check out Honda since I had owned an accord and trusted the brand. I had seen the earlier ridgeline models on the road, didn't know Honda stopped making them, and was truly impressed and delighted with the 2017 rtl-e. It had every thing I was looking for and then some. Intuitively awesome job Honda! Much more value for my hard earned money.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Was a loyal '02 f150 super crew owner 14 years,255,000 miles no major mechanical problems, besides the ageing interior and three broken seat belts it had been an awesome truck! Not impressed with fords current offerings...gas mileage unchanged, few different styling bells and whistles is about all I could see,kind of disappointing.
Good Lord, son, what planet have you been on the for the last 14 years? Did you just drive by a Ford dealer, and look out the window at some used F150's?

So, you averaged 23mpg with your '02? You could go pull off a sub-7 second 0-60? Pull 12,000#'s? How did that all aluminum body work for you in '02? How did you like the E-lock rear diff? How about that huge rear seat that flips up with a flat floor, was that pretty sweet for you? I could go on and on, but hopefully you might be waking up a little at this point.

Now, if you just want a new RL, fine and dandy, have at it. But please don't make completely ignorant remarks about something you obviously did zero research on.

Sheesh already. :act018:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dont' forget, you can climb a median or curb with an F150 without scraping your undercarriage if you need to turn around for some reason....lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
We looked at F150s a couple of weeks ago. Bottom line, the crew cab trucks are simply too friggin big. Personally I'm not all hot and bothered with their Eco Boost engine offerings. Too many problems I've personally heard about and I hear Ford is in trouble overstating the gas mileage on the F150.

And OMG the size of the mirrors is just ridiculous to me. Those things stick out so damn far, I was afraid I was going to hit something with them.

Again, my impressions, which mean nothing to anyone else other than me...

·
Registered
328 Posts
My heart argued for an F150 with my brain for like 3 weeks. I like the way they look, the power and the size is nice, and they've got that cool factor. I already had plans to trick one out with nicer tires and a leveling kit. I test drove a few and in the end just couldn't do it. My brain won. Too big, I don't need the capability or size. It'd be a pain to park, wouldn't fit in my garage, and my wife wouldn't like driving it. Also, on the highway it is still very much a truck, kinda loose and squirrely when passing at high speeds. I have a long highway commute, wouldn't make sense for me. I did like the feeling it gave me when cruising around town, just didn't fit my needs like the RL. The RL drove waaayyy more car like (a good thing). By the way OP, never buy a car by asking what you can get for 37k. I looked at pricing and you can get the one you looked at for significantly less. I'd say 34 if you tried. Also, I wouldn't touch the ecoboost engines with a ten foot pole. They're powerful, but plagued with problems. Go 5.0 for the best chance at reliability.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Bottom line, the crew cab trucks are simply too friggin big.

And OMG the size of the mirrors is just ridiculous to me. Those things stick out so damn far, I was afraid I was going to hit something with them.

Again, my impressions, which mean nothing to anyone else other than me...
Wife and I went a test drove a few and I agree 100%. She actually told me that if I bought one, she refused to drive it as it was just too big and she would be afraid to park it, drive it downtown, or even take it in and out of the garage.

They drove nicely; however, the size just killed it for both of us.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Also, I wouldn't touch the ecoboost engines with a ten foot pole. They're powerful, but plagued with problems.
Where do you people come up with this stuff? Plagued with problems? Would you care to detail some examples of this so called plague?

You do realize, in just the F150 alone, Ford will sell more Ecoboost engines in two months, than the RL will (likely) sell for the entire model year. Sample size is relevant.

I would suggest a little more in depth investigation before you make such ridiculous comments.

And yeah, it really sucks to have 375 lb/ft of torque right off idle, and average 23mpg in a full size 4x4 super crew. What a horrible engine! And in case you're curious, it's been in for ZERO warranty issues, better than the last Honda I had.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would suggest a little more in depth investigation before you make such ridiculous comments.
I did do research, that's where my comment came from. Anyone with an internet connection is welcome to do the same and come to their own conclusion, they don't have to take my word for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat now, thinking about the f150. I've had a newer Tundra so I know I can get used to the size but I really prefer the size of the first gen tundra 01-06. That size is just about right, the new full size trucks are just too big! I guess they are still selling fine though...

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I understand it the newest models of F-150 (2016) with the 302A package come with the new Sync 3 touchscreen system which does indeed support CarPlay and Android Auto.

I've also been cross shopping the two vehicles, it's hard not to when on the face of it you seem to get a lot more truck for your money with the Ford.

For me I think it will come down to whether I can really live with that large of a vehicle day to day. It's fine on a roadtrip but squeezing in and out of parking lots daily probably isn't much fun. Also while the bed is larger in some ways it is less useful. I really like that the Ridgeline bed is easy to reach into from the side and the shallow side height makes it easy to get to anything that's in the bed. The F-150 requires some climbing to accomplish the same thing.

I think it would be a much easier decision if we got the Canadian trim levels here, they get Honda Sensing and the nice touchscreen on every trim level. Carplay + cloth seats at a better price would really help sell me on the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was a loyal '02 f150 super crew owner 14 years,255,000 miles no major mechanical problems, besides the ageing interior and three broken seat belts it had been an awesome truck! Not impressed with fords current offerings...gas mileage unchanged, few different styling bells and whistles is about all I could see,kind of disappointing.
Good Lord, son, what planet have you been on the for the last 14 years? Did you just drive by a Ford dealer, and look out the window at some used F150's?

So, you averaged 23mpg with your '02? You could go pull off a sub-7 second 0-60? Pull 12,000#'s? How did that all aluminum body work for you in '02? How did you like the E-lock rear diff? How about that huge rear seat that flips up with a flat floor, was that pretty sweet for you? I could go on and on, but hopefully you might be waking up a little at this point.

Now, if you just want a new RL, fine and dandy, have at it. But please don't make completely ignorant remarks about something you obviously did zero research on.

Sheesh already.
You own an F150 and are grossly overstating its MPG unless you get 5 MPG MORE then every F150 2.7 on Fuely.It averages 18 MPG. Good try. Yes it is very efficient for the power and size of the truck though.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

Sheesh already. :act018:
Where do you people come up with this stuff? Plagued with problems? Would you care to detail some examples of this so called plague?

You do realize, in just the F150 alone, Ford will sell more Ecoboost engines in two months, than the RL will (likely) sell for the entire model year. Sample size is relevant.

And yeah, it really sucks to have 375 lb/ft of torque right off idle, and average 23mpg in a full size 4x4 super crew. What a horrible engine! And in case you're curious, it's been in for ZERO warranty issues, better than the last Honda I had.
Are you sure you want to add NSIDER to your ignore list?
Yup, I am sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is an apples and oranges comparison on many levels - I have said it a few times in other threads - but the Ridgeline really cant be compared to a full size pick up...why...because its not a full size pick up .... just because something has a bed does not make it the same ...and the reason Ford has so many incentives is because not many everyday around the town drivers want a large gas guzzling pick up - its an awesome blue collar work truck- if you are like me... a white collar go to the hardware store once a week guy - the Ridgeline is a much better choice - wanna go off-roading ...maybe a Jeep or Tacoma is for you... the Ridgeline is not meant for the work site or off road - its for people who want a "bed" and go to the grocery store a lot....Personally I love the looks of F150's , Silverado's, Tacoma's etc... but for what I do the Ridgeline does the job - I dont need what the other trucks bring to the table ...

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I shopped the F-150 and Ram 1500 along with the RL.

The full sizes trucks were just too big for my needs and wouldn't fit in the garage. The Ridgeline fits in my garage and my wife is more comfortable driving the RL if needed.

I liked the Ram 1500 better than the Ford F150. Both were nice but, just didn't work for me and the Honda did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've put about 1500 miles on one of the new 2.7 liter ecoboost engines in my F150 4x4 supercrew. I've never gotten above 20 mpg on a tank from combined city/highway driving. It is more like 19 from the computer on the dash, which means more like 18 mpg in real numbers. I think the fuelly.com estimates are more accurate. Perhaps a 4x2 may get a little better mileage than my 4x4, but I think anyone reporting 23 mpg on average in an F150 is driving near 100% on the highway at speeds below 65 mph. You can get fantastic gas mileage if you can manage to never hit a traffic light and maintain a constant speed of 45 mph everywhere you go. That isn't realistic, and it isn't as good as what the new Ridgeline gets.

The 2.7 liter engine is nice, but the mileage drops significantly if you drive aggressively or drive at speeds above 70 mph. My 2016 F150 still gets better mileage than my mom's 2015 Honda Pilot, though.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,339 Posts
I've put about 1500 miles on one of the new 2.7 liter ecoboost engines in my F150 4x4 supercrew. I've never gotten above 20 mpg on a tank from combined city/highway driving. It is more like 19 from the computer on the dash, which means more like 18 mpg in real numbers. I think the fuelly.com estimates are more accurate. Perhaps a 4x2 may get a little better mileage than my 4x4, but I think anyone reporting 23 mpg on average in an F150 is driving near 100% on the highway at speeds below 65 mph. You can get fantastic gas mileage if you can manage to never hit a traffic light and maintain a constant speed of 45 mph everywhere you go. That isn't realistic, and it isn't as good as what the new Ridgeline gets.

The 2.7 liter engine is nice, but the mileage drops significantly if you drive aggressively or drive at speeds above 70 mph. My 2016 F150 still gets better mileage than my mom's 2015 Honda Pilot, though.
Yes,

Have a look at Fuelly for the F150. The average MPG for the 4dr 2015 with the 2.7 is around 18mpg. Thats a bit better than the 16mpg average I get in my 06 Ridgeline but falls well short of the GenII, not to mention the CLAIMED mpg that Ford advertises.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts