Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I just got a compass mirror (the standard one w/ out the dim feature) to replace the basic mirror in my RTS and I was wondering if anyone has a compass mirror installed in their RTS? The mirror came alone with no wire harness... Does anyone know if the dealer sells these wire harnesses alone? I think someone on here told me that the wire harness should already be in the top counsol or something. I was wondering if i should atempt to install it my self or if i should have the dealership do it for me? I know nothing about installing and have never worked on something like this before. Any tips or help whould be great on installing this compass mirror.. thank you!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
While it isn't exactly the most difficult install based on the instructions, there are a lot of things you need to make sure you have available to you. Like the radio code and the like. You have to disconnect the battery before performing this activity. The harness in the instruction is the wire that goes between the mirror and the outlet location in the console in the roof. The outlet (or sometimes called harness) should already be in the roof, prewired for this install. You might want to pull up the instructions for the auto day/night mirror instructions and use those as this should be almost the same install. http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/automirror.pdf

·
Registered
146 Posts
fraz said:
hey all, I just got a compass mirror (the standard one w/ out the dim feature) to replace the basic mirror in my RTS and I was wondering if anyone has a compass mirror installed in their RTS? The mirror came alone with no wire harness... Does anyone know if the dealer sells these wire harnesses alone? I think someone on here told me that the wire harness should already be in the top counsol or something. I was wondering if i should atempt to install it my self or if i should have the dealership do it for me? I know nothing about installing and have never worked on something like this before. Any tips or help whould be great on installing this compass mirror.. thank you!!
See this thread for pictures of the connector to the mirror
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2021&page=2&highlight=valentine

The harness in the upper console is definately where you want to tap in for power. However, the connector up there isn't the one that will plug into the mirror. The compass mirror has a seven pin connector, of which only two are used.

I have installed the compass mirror in my RTL w/Nav (which came with a basic mirror) My mirror came with the plug at the mirror end so I just had to splice it in. In your case, you have two options:

1. Find one of those plugs .. (pretty tough I expect.)
2. Solder directy to the mirror pins or go into the mirror and solder on to the pc board. I just took a look at mine with a meter and verfied which pins you need to connect to.

They are the bottom most two pins of the seven, if the mirror is viewed in it's normal, horizontal, North up position.

The bottom pin is Negative, and is normally connected to the black wire in the harness.

The second pin UP from the bottom is the +12V, positive wire and normally goes to a yellow wire in the harness.

Once you get it running, give us a post here and let us know. You will likely need to run a simple calibration sequence to reset it for your vehicle and magnetic deviation for your local area. When I first installed mine, it was almost 90 degrees off! When you are ready, I, or someone else can help you get it calibrated for your area.

·
Registered
720 Posts
kd4z said:
See this thread for pictures of the connector to the mirror
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2021&page=2&highlight=valentine

The harness in the upper console is definately where you want to tap in for power. However, the connector up there isn't the one that will plug into the mirror. The compass mirror has a seven pin connector, of which only two are used.

I have installed the compass mirror in my RTL w/Nav (which came with a basic mirror) My mirror came with the plug at the mirror end so I just had to splice it in. In your case, you have two options:

1. Find one of those plugs .. (pretty tough I expect.)
2. Solder directy to the mirror pins or go into the mirror and solder on to the pc board. I just took a look at mine with a meter and verfied which pins you need to connect to.

They are the bottom most two pins of the seven, if the mirror is viewed in it's normal, horizontal, North up position.

The bottom pin is Negative, and is normally connected to the black wire in the harness.

The second pin UP from the bottom is the +12V, positive wire and normally goes to a yellow wire in the harness.

Once you get it running, give us a post here and let us know. You will likely need to run a simple calibration sequence to reset it for your vehicle and magnetic deviation for your local area. When I first installed mine, it was almost 90 degrees off! When you are ready, I, or someone else can help you get it calibrated for your area.
Where did you get the compass mirror from (Blue N,S,E,W)?

I would like to swap out my stock mirror for the blue compass one...

TIA

TL

·
Registered
146 Posts
tlaudio said:
Where did you get the compass mirror from (Blue N,S,E,W)?

I would like to swap out my stock mirror for the blue compass one...

TIA

TL
Ebay. It was a pull from a wrecked RL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts