Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I can't speak for the trims without it because I haven't driven one, but the interior of the my BE is the quietest pickup that I have ever been in and is better than most SUVs. I suspect that the acoustic windshield has something to do with that and if so, that alone would be worth stepping up to the RTL, but then you get leather and heated electric seats as well, probably making it the best value trim upgrade per dollar spent.
I called in today regarding my wife's car's windshield being hit by a rock on her '13 Avalon. The hit made an 18" (and growing) crack in her windshield. The rep said: "It's not your new Honda, is it?" When I said no, he not only pointed out to me that he was glad our NEW truck wasn't the victim, but proceeded to tell me how expensive the windshields were for my model...and that, at least for now, they had to be ordered directly from Honda as they were not readily available, and were taking a lot of time for delivery due to their special lamination process, which apparently is not available, at least to them, on the open market.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Another reason why brand new to market vehicles can sting. No readily available parts in some cases, and very expensive.
Yup. When the rear sliding glass exploded all by itself in m first Ridgeline, no aftermarket or individual service parts were available. Honda refused to cover it under warranty. My insurance company ended up paying around $1,400 (if I remember correctly) to replace the entire rear window assembly. The headliner, rear seats, and lots of interior trim had to come out. Fortunately, it all went back together just fine.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Another reason why brand new to market vehicles can sting. No readily available parts in some cases, and very expensive.
Well, to me, I don't see it that way when it comes to auto glass. If you read most glass policies, they say that they will replace or repair to government safety standards (or something like that...). If you want your vehicle to have the OE windshield, you need to pay the difference. The exception is if the OE is all that's available. That is the only time they will pay for that OE windshield in full, which is what would happen, at least early in the life-cycle of a new vehicle. Happened once to me on a new Highlander with a heated front windshield. I had to wait a week for it to come from Japan; however, got OE Toyota. Happy to wait that week to bring the vehicle back to OE spec.

Personally, I would probably replace with OE on the upper end RL's, no matter if I had to pay more, unless they could show me that the aftermarket windshield met all of the specs of the Honda one.

JMHO.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, to me, I don't see it that way when it comes to auto glass. If you read most glass policies, they say that they will replace or repair to government safety standards (or something like that...). If you want your vehicle to have the OE windshield, you need to pay the difference. The exception is if the OE is all that's available. That is the only time they will pay for that OE windshield in full, which is what would happen, at least early in the life-cycle of a new vehicle. Happened once to me on a new Highlander with a heated front windshield. I had to wait a week for it to come from Japan; however, got OE Toyota. Happy to wait that week to bring the vehicle back to OE spec.

Personally, I would probably replace with OE on the upper end RL's, no matter if I had to pay more, unless they could show me that the aftermarket windshield met all of the specs of the Honda one.

JMHO.
I'd only use Honda glass myself as well. I'm friends with someone in the business of fixing vehicles and through him and my own experience, the insurance companies are chinzers. I have argued like hell with them before on glass replacement, even a passenger window. My gym had 2 perps bust into 6-7 vehicles in just a few minutes, pure smash and grab. They got to my STi last, so they didn't steal anything, not even if the V1 in plain view, but they sure did bust the window out which ended up scratching the door. I had to fight like hell with my own insurance carrier and it wasn't even a collision claim. Boy they wanted to use some chinzer aftermarket crap and was pissed that I had a square foot of clearbra replaced on the rocker, on their dime, because that's what I pay insurance for every damn month.

My point was more about the wait. I'd hate to need a front RL windshield right now. Parts aren't all stocked up yet so it could mean the truck is down for a bit waiting for a part from Japan. If that is your primary vehicle, that sucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
The windshield in my brother's '16 Civic Touring got hit by a small stone while approaching an intersection this morning. By this afternoon, it turned into a long crack. Replacement cost over $800. No aftermarket glass exists for the Civic yet and OEM is on backorder! After the glass is replaced, the Honda Sensing camera has to be calibrated by a dealer. The best news is that he'll get an OEM windshield. The worst news is he doesn't know how long it'll take. It's right in his line of sight. I'd imagine those of us with "acoustic" windshields in the RTL trim and above are looking at that much or more for replacement glass and similar availability (or lack thereof).

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
The windshield in my brother's '16 Civic Touring got hit by a small stone while approaching an intersection this morning. By this afternoon, it turned into a long crack. Replacement cost over $800. No aftermarket glass exists for the Civic yet and OEM is on backorder! After the glass is replaced, the Honda Sensing camera has to be calibrated by a dealer. The best news is that he'll get an OEM windshield. The worst news is he doesn't know how long it'll take. It's right in his line of sight. I'd imagine those of us with "acoustic" windshields in the RTL trim and above are looking at that much or more for replacement glass and similar availability (or lack thereof).
Tell your brother to keep the order in his vehicle, showing that it is coming. If he gets pulled over and shows it, it can eliminate getting a fixit ticket for the windshield. Happened to me, once, and I appreciated that advice, so I am passing it along. Officer got a good laugh out of it when I told him the friend who told me to do that was a Police Officer.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Tell your brother to keep the order in his vehicle, showing that it is coming. If he gets pulled over and shows it, it can eliminate getting a fixit ticket for the windshield. Happened to me, once, and I appreciated that advice, so I am passing it along. Officer got a good laugh out of it when I told him the friend who told me to do that was a Police Officer.
That's a good suggestion. At least here in Texas, I've never seen a "fix it" ticket or warning issued for a cracked windshield. About the only time it becomes an issue is during an annual inspection and only if the crack is within a certain area within the driver's line of sight. People driving around with cracked windshields are the norm, rather then the exception, here.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
People driving around with cracked windshields are the norm, rather then the exception, here.
I've noticed that driving through Texas....my son did his medical residency in Houston for three years....came to hate that southern drive through lower west Texas from Arizona....Loved San Antonio, the hill country and Houston, though. I figure they must film space movies in that western region when they need a barren planet landscape:smile:....and then you hit that hill country and you can't keep from smiling....

We have lots of cracked windshields here in rural AZ, too; however, the gendarmes are quick to pull you over and cut you a ticket, especially if they are bored....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Exactly what I'm referring to. That sucks. If it was bad the vehicle would be down hard.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
My brother had his windshield replaced this morning. $751.53. I didn't realize until recently that the 2016 Civic has an "acoustic" windshield as well. Not sure if this is exclusive to the Touring trim or if it's in lower trims as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Saw my first 2017 today, while getting the airbags replaced in my wife's 2008 CRV. They only had one on the lot (surprisingly, all the way in the back of their lot) - an RTL-T (no moon roof/sunroof). While you are looking to make sure that your 2017 Ridgeline has all the items you want (moon roof/sunroof, etc..), be sure to look under the truck & check for a rear differential. Seems that AWD/4WD is now an 'option' - and is only 'standard equipment' in the RTL-E and 'Black Edition' (AWD/4WD is an $1800 option). Also checked the Honda website, cannot find ANY mention that the Ridgeline is a 'front-wheel drive' pickup. Even the diagram indicating 2WD gets around mentioning WHICH wheels actually drive the truck. I am actually amused at this -I mentioned years ago (when the Honda Ridgeline was originally introduced) that the only reason why it came 4WD/AWD as standard equipment was that Honda wouldn't sell many 2WD versions of a 'front wheel drive' pickup truck - at least from the traditional 'pickup' crowd... Guess we'll see how the 2WD versions sell now -

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Seems that AWD/4WD is now an 'option' - and is only 'standard equipment' in the RTL-E and 'Black Edition' (AWD/4WD is an $1800 option).

Even the diagram indicating 2WD gets around mentioning WHICH wheels actually drive the truck.
Honda confirmed months ago that there would be a 2WD Ridgeline. It was rumored a over a year or two ago.

Honda refer to all their vehicles where AWD is available (HR-V, CR-V, Pilot, and Ridgeline) as 2WD or AWD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honda confirmed months ago that there would be a 2WD Ridgeline. It was rumored a over a year or two ago.

Honda refer to all their vehicles where AWD is available (HR-V, CR-V, Pilot, and Ridgeline) as 2WD or AWD.
Understood. However, Honda appears to be actively avoiding the use of the term 'front-wheel drive', and 'transverse mounted engine', trans-axle, etc., in any information provided for the 2017 Ridgeline. Just saying - look close while shopping and go over the window sticker carefully.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Part Number 73111-T6Z-A11

Bernardi Price 369.25, does not include shipping. That is for the Black Edition, I believe that RTL and up have the same acoustic windshield. Availability however is yet do be determined.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Part Number 73111-T6Z-A11

Bernardi Price 369.25, does not include shipping. That is for the Black Edition, I believe that RTL and up have the same acoustic windshield. Availability however is yet do be determined.
$369 + shipping (if they'll even ship, which is doubtful) + labor to install (probably can't do this yourself) + labor to calibrate camera (can't do this yourself) = pretty darn close to $800-900.

There are 3 different windshields for the 2017 Ridgeline:

RT, RTS, Sport - "Standard" windshield P/N 73111-TG7-A03 MSRP $619.93
RTL, RTL-T - "Acoustic" windshield P/N 73111-TG7-A13 MSRP $619.93
RTL-E, Black Edition - "Acoustic" windshield with mask for Honda Sensing camera P/N 73111-T6Z-A11 MSRP $526.00

Interesting that there is no price difference between the standard and acoustic windshields.
Equally interesting is that the most complex windshield in the highest trims is the cheapest!

All three are made by Pilkington to Honda's specifications. Pilkington is a top-tier glass manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Has there been clarification yet whether RTL-T has a sunroof? Barring even that, not sure I understand the value proposition of the -T, is it really $2k for an upgraded head unit with lane watch?

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Has there been clarification yet whether RTL-T has a sunroof? Barring even that, not sure I understand the value proposition of the -T, is it really $2k for an upgraded head unit with lane watch?
No sunroof on the RTL-T.

See below for the differences between the RTL and RTL-T.

The biggest jump is from the RTL-T to the RTL-E at $5,440, but the latter comes standard with AWD. The difference between an AWD RTL-T and an RTL-E is "only" $3,640. That's still the biggest jump in price from the previous trim level, but it also adds the most hardware.

RT
• 280-hp,12 3.5-liter i-VTEC® V-6 engine with
direct injection
• 6-speed automatic transmission
• Heavy-duty transmission cooler (available)
• Intelligent Variable Torque ManagementTM
(i-VTM4TM) AWD system (available)
• Intelligent Traction Management
• 18-inch alloy wheels
• Security system
• Multi-angle rearview camera11 with guidelines
• Dual-action tailgate
• In-Bed Trunk®
• Integrated trailer hitch
• Truck-bed lights
• Push button start
• Capless fuel filler
• 60/40 split lift-up rear seat with underseat storage
• 200-watt audio system with 7 speakers,
including subwoofer
• USB Audio Interface13 (1.0-amp charging port in
center console)
• 4.2-inch Multi-Information Display

RTS +$2,040
adds to or replaces RT features
• Remote engine start
• 18-inch machine-finished alloy wheels
• Smart Entry
• Fog lights
• Exterior temperature indicator
• Tri-zone automatic climate control system with
humidity control and air filtration
• HomeLink®14 remote system
• Driver’s and front passenger’s seatback pockets

SPORT +$1,500
adds to or replaces RTS features [cosmetic changes only - no additional features]
• Crystal Black Pearl paint
• 18-inch dark gray-painted alloy wheels
• Sport badging

RTL +$2,265
adds to or replaces RTS features
• Acoustic windshield
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel
• Heated side mirrors (AWD models)
• Driver’s seat with 10-way power adjustment,
including power lumbar support
• Front passenger’s seat with 4-way power
adjustment
• Leather-trimmed interior
• Heated front seats

RTL-T +$2,150
adds to or replaces RTL features
• LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
• Honda LaneWatchTM15
• USB Audio Interface13 (1.5-amp charging port in
front / 1.0-amp charging port in center console)
• 8-inch Display Audio with high-resolution
touch-screen and customizable feature settings
• Apple CarPlayTM3
• Android AutoTM4
• HondaLink®16
• SMS text message function17
• SiriusXM® Radio18
• HD RadioTM19
• Pandora®20 compatibility
• Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation SystemTM21 with
voice recognition and Honda HD Digital Traffic
• USB charging ports in second row (2)
• Compass

RTL-E +$5,440
adds to or replaces RTL-T features
• Standard intelligent Variable Torque Management
(i-VTM4) AWD system
• Honda SensingTM suite of safety and driverassistive
features
• Exclusive 18-inch machine-finished alloy wheels
• Blind spot information system (BSI)22 with
cross traffic monitor
• One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
• Power sliding rear window
• LED headlights with auto-on/off & auto high-beam
• 150-watt / 400-watt truck-bed power outlet
• Body-colored parking sensors (front and rear)
• Heated steering wheel
• Blue ambient LED lighting
• Driver’s seat with two-position memory
• 540-watt premium audio system with 8 speakers,
including subwoofer
• Truck-Bed Audio System

BLACK EDITION +$1,500
adds to or replaces RTL-E features [cosmetic changes only - no additional features]
• Crystal Black Pearl paint
• Exclusive 18-inch black-painted alloy wheels
• Perforated black leather seats with red under-fabric
and red stitching
• Gloss black door handles
• Red ambient LED lighting
• Black Edition badging

101 - 120 of 139 Posts