Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wonder how well the 9-speed will hold up? I recently read it's the same ZF 9HP 9-speed transmission also used in Chrysler vehicles. There's a Class Action lawsuit currently by Chrysler vehicle owners because of this "problematic" transmission. Supposedly, Honda has made "significant" software upgrades to the transmissions used in the '19 and '20 model year vehicle.
Chrysler 9-Speed ZF 9HP Transmission Lawsuit Nearly Settled

·
Registered
429 Posts
That article is nearly two years old and complains of vehicles up to 2015's which are five years old.

Do you have confidence in Honda Engineers to deliver and maintain a good product. If not, look elsewhere.

If like the majority on this forum, you have confidence in Honda, don't worry about a component as it was used in a different manufacturers vehicles. Whatever vehicle you buy these days, there will be a lot of new technology that will very likely work very well.

Gone are the days when power-train components are used exclusively by one manufacturer and are used in their vehicles for several years. Most everything in our new vehicles are developed jointly by manufacturers who the consumer on the surface views as competitors, however, in development they all contribute to better products for today's market which puts requirements on the fleets that can only be attained by joint ventures.

Bottom line...do you have confidence the vehicle you purchase has a good warranty and a good service department to take care of issues? If you don't, you will probably never buy another car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ouch... did you go after others who have mentioned concerns like cylinders that shut off under light load, debris in injectors, tailgate wires breaking, etc. etc.???
I was merely pointing out the 2020 Ridgelines have a transmission with a troubled past and hoping Honda has fixed the issues (also found in recent Accuras, Oddesys and Pilots) with software updates.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
I wonder how well the 9-speed will hold up? I recently read it's the same ZF 9HP 9-speed transmission also used in Chrysler vehicles. There's a Class Action lawsuit currently by Chrysler vehicle owners because of this "problematic" transmission. Supposedly, Honda has made "significant" software upgrades to the transmissions used in the '19 and '20 model year vehicle.
Chrysler 9-Speed ZF 9HP Transmission Lawsuit Nearly Settled
We rented a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica this past week while on vacation in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. The vehicle was nicely equipped, not a stripped down model. It had the auto stop/start technology, which proved to be very noticeable.

The 9-speed transmission was atrocious, just as @Weldguy1 mentioned above. We were driving within the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and the transmission performed terribly. The road within the resort is steep and winding. Each time the vehicle would downshift (going up the hill) it would lurch forward, and after a few seconds it would upshift and lose speed considerably. It barely made it up the winding and steep road. No wonder there is a Class Action lawsuit.

The Ridgeline transmission should perform better due to the software updates and programming which Honda provides. I would never purchase any Chrysler product with the 9-speed transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
I've had a rental Pacifica with the 9 speed and it was perfect in shifting on the hills around Salt Lake City Utah. I don't know if I'd base your experience on just one sample (like I am too). The previous 9 speeds I've had in other rentals in the 200 and 300 sedans where not nearly as good shifting as the Pacifica as those were older designs.

The 9 speed has a unusually crazy track record since most manufacturers when met with such complaints usually just switch the transmission to a different design. Rarely do they just keep making them.

Steve

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
A good friend of mine let his brother sell him a Jeep Cherokee to replace his Toyota Avalon. The Cherokee has the 9HP and it's very transparent - it does it's job quietly and smoothly. The vehicle is less than a year old and is full of rattles and the navigation system always shows the vehicle one block away from where it actually is. The radio has virtually no bass and the road noise is high, but the seat leather is top-notch!

The 9HP can be made reliable, but no amount of software can hide the fact that it uses dog clutches for some gears. The shift logic, timing, and feel of dog clutches will always be different than friction clutches because they work differently. Friction clutches can have variable engagement. Dog clutches are either engaged or disengaged with nothing in between, so unconventional shift logic must be used to ensure the two halves of the dog clutch are rotating at exactly the same speed and are in the exactly the right position before they are engaged.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
I've had a rental Pacifica with the 9 speed and it was perfect in shifting on the hills around Salt Lake City Utah. I don't know if I'd base your experience on just one sample (like I am too). The previous 9 speeds I've had in other rentals in the 200 and 300 sedans where not nearly as good shifting as the Pacifica as those were older designs.

The 9 speed has a unusually crazy track record since most manufacturers when met with such complaints usually just switch the transmission to a different design. Rarely do they just keep making them.

Steve
The Pacific drove fine on the hills around the city and on the 200+ mile trip from Nashville to Knoxville, but it was the steep winding roads at low speed that gave it the most problems. We had six people in the van and it would barely make it up the steep grade at around 15-20 mph. Part of the problem was that I had to slow down into the curves because of how sharp they were.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts