Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PHOTOS BELOW

If you're like me, you've seen a few vehicles rolling around covered in bed-liner. Just a few years ago it didn't seem very prevalent, but it seems to be getting more popular. You'll see it done on jeeps to save the paint from trouble in the woods (or just to look cool), and occasionally you'll see people cover select areas of their trucks with it (like around the wheel wells) to prevent rock chips.

I bought my Ridgeline used, and the black paint was already in terrible shape. I had it buffed out which made it look wonderful. It didn't take long, however, before it started looking bad again. To top it off, all I had to do was rub across a bush the wrong way and the clear coat would have the infamous white scratches in it. So, I didn't help the situation any. And the paint on my mirrors started peeling.

I decided that I wanted to rough coat my Ridgeline. As in, the entire thing. I didn't want to have to deal with my clear coat/ paint getting scratched anymore, and what better way to prevent that than covering it in bed-liner? lol.

And, so far as I know, at this time my truck is the first and only Ridgeline anyone has ever totally rough coated. I got it done at the end of July, 2015.

As I may not be able to respond to individual messages and posts much for sake of time, I'll try to answer some questions here:

(1.) Does it add much weight?

There's literally 3 gallons of the bed-liner on the entire vehicle, so about 24
pounds (roughly 8 lbs per gallon) were added to the vehicle.

(2.) Does it add wind resistance?

I don't know, but I don't notice any.

(3.) Does it add road noise?

Not in the least. It might dampen road noise by a fraction, but it doesn't make
much difference in my case.

(4.) Does bed-liner fade?

Yes, but slowly. That's the reason I went with steel blue. I know it will fade too,
but I'm hoping it will fade with better results. Black will fade into splotches of
grayish black, and red will fade into pink.

(5.) Can it be protected from fading?

Only somewhat. If you go with black, there are products to restore the black
color to closer to the original. Since I don't have black, I've looked into a long
lasting clear protectant used in marine applications and such but haven't
purchased any. In the mean time, I coat it with Armor-all to keep the UV
rays from wreaking too much havoc.

(6.) Are there products that don't fade?

I've heard of a rough coat that doesn't fade, but I don't know if there is such a
thing yet. You'll have to research it.

(7.) How much money?

Mine was $3,000; about the same as a decent paint job. If you get it "Rhino
lined" or "Line X'ed," then you're looking at closer to the $8,000 range. The big
names charge you extra for the warranty. I just got a local guy to do mine. He
did it right the first time and for less money.

(8.) Can you do it yourself?

Yes. There are plenty of guys who buy do-it-yourself kits for these kind of
things. I was afraid to mess something up royally, so I opted out. Check out
Youtube if you're interested.

(9.) How do you clean it?

I'll confess, I'm not a pro at cleaning it yet, but I do a good job. For me,
just a water-hose and a soft scrub brush. It will hold dirt, as you can imagine,
so scrubbing it is a good idea.

Unlike paint, there's no clear coat to protect it, so it can be stained with
gasoline and stuff (just think about the back of your work truck). I haven't
been down that road yet, but a natural cleaner should help take the stains out.

Automated car washes are not a good idea, so I'm told. They will leave soap in
the crevices of the bed-liner.

(10.) Why?

For me, it fits my personality. I hate babying the traditional gloss paint. It has
to be washed right to keep from scratching it. It has to be kept
from the reach of bushes and limbs to protect it. And it has to be waxed.

I would rather coat my truck in bed-liner and let it roll down the trails, in the
mud, and wherever.

And honestly, I think it looks awesome.

(11.) Do you like it?

I love it, but to each their own. Hope you guys will like it too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Wow, looks different than the Honda Steel Blue, to me it looks gray. Glad your enjoying it. Looks good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, looks different than the Honda Steel Blue, to me it looks gray. Glad your enjoying it. Looks good
Thanks! It's actually a color that Hyundai carries believe it or not. I just liked the color so that's the one I went with. The rough coat altered the color somewhat. The actual paint itself is what the door handles are painted with for reference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great! What brand did you go with that you were able to tint it?
Thanks! It's a product called "Super Liner II." It comes in two parts, and the pigment's added to "part A." The website on the can is www.bedliner.com if you're interested. It has how to videos and stuff. The guy who did it for me gave me the rest of the product he didn't use. lol.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you took the time and did it right.

I REALLY like it a lot. It looks fantastic !!!!!!!!

I love the color too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks! It's a product called "Super Liner II." It comes in two parts, and the pigment's added to "part A." The website on the can is www.bedliner.com if you're interested. It has how to videos and stuff. The guy who did it for me gave me the rest of the product he didn't use. lol.
Yeah, that's very similar to Speedliner, a product I used 15 years ago. They were very specific about tinting with PPG paint. I tried using cheaper paint and it turned in a month or 2.
Lately been using Raptorliner. Seems to hold up, easy to apply and easy clean up. Not as soft and plyable as Speedliner though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you took the time and did it right.

I REALLY like it a lot. It looks fantastic !!!!!!!!

I love the color too.
Thanks! I love it. I'm really happy with the color too. I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, but I think it turned out awesome. I can see myself going with a similar color if I do it again to a future vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the looks of that truck a LOT.

What kind of tires are those, and is your truck lifted?
I appreciate it! It is lifted, and I wish I could lift it more. lol. I have the Truxxx lift/level kit (2" front, 1 1/2" rear). The old tires (in the bed in the top picture and on the wheels in the bottom two) were Firestone Destination M/Ts. They have a great aggressive look, and they lasted somewhere around 3 years for me. The big issue was the noise. It was horrendous. lol. The new tires are BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s. I love the look, the ride is smoother than the old tires, and the road noise is minimal, which is paradise on wheels compared to the old screaming banshees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, that's very similar to Speedliner, a product I used 15 years ago. They were very specific about tinting with PPG paint. I tried using cheaper paint and it turned in a month or 2.
Lately been using Raptorliner. Seems to hold up, easy to apply and easy clean up. Not as soft and plyable as Speedliner though.
Sounds like you've got some experience in the lining process. I was afraid to mess it up if I did it myself. You're braver than I am. lol. Is it pretty easy to get the hang of, or does it take a while? Given the time, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it someday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So do you have the black door handles on the left side, and the painted ones on the right,,, or was that right pic just for illustration ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You're braver than I am. lol. Is it pretty easy to get the hang of, or does it take a while?
What's brave was taking 80 grit to a brand new truck, especially when you want the bedrails done. Took a few beers to do it but all turned out well.:cheerleader:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So do you have the black door handles on the left side, and the painted ones on the right,,, or was that right pic just for illustration ?
Actually, they're all painted the same blue color that's in the bed-liner. The lighting just made it look darker in the other photos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts