Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually like to do my own work but man, after reviewing the installs pdfs for those I don't think I'm going to touch 'em. Maybe once I got into it might be ok but sure has me scared right off the bat. So now my plan is to have the dealer install them but that scares me too. I sure don't want to be the guinne pig for the kid the manager hands my work order off to. I think I might wait a year before adding those on. Lots of electrical wiring and many panels to be taken off/on and drilled into.

I plan on installing the running boards myself but appears I'll have to buy some special rivit insterting tool for one of the bolts, sheesh.

Following the new '05 Ody forums I know most dealers did not know how to deal with initial issues until just recently. Heck, they still don't have the equipment to align the front wheels for them, could be just a PAX tire thing though limted to the Touring models.

Anyway, with the brand new model I sure hope I don't have any trouble as I know the dealer mechanics won't have a clue until they get some experience with them and some TSBs issued by Honda which are always slow to be issued.

Fingers crossed they got everything correct right off the bat.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have reviewed some of those installation instructions and I agree they are way too complicated for me as well.

I know what you mean about being the guinea pig for the dealer. I was the first one to get a towing package installed on my '05 Ody. It took them 2.5 days to get the job done (no, they didn't charge me for 2.5 days of labor). In the end, as they were putting the front bumper back on, they dropped it and ripped out one of the parking sensors!!

I got a loaner for free during the initial install and they fixed the parking sensor for free, of course. Overall, I was pleased with the dealership because they were very up front about their fear and unfamiliarity with installing the towing package in the Ody. I preferred that they took their time and were careful as opposed to running through the process and screwing something up royally.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You ain't lying there about the difficulty on the installs. I wanted the fog lights on the front bumper and the pdf instruction show you cutting 2 big holes in the painted bumper. I don't know about y'all, but I'm not comfortable with doing all that cutting and the edges look like crap and flaking paint edges. Also I don't want to slip up and mess the bumper up trying to do it and not even be able to get a new bumper for months. I'd just assume have the dealership do it so at least they pay for fixing the bumper. You look at all the competitor trucks and they all have the driving lights (fog lights) already in the bumper or it is molded. Plus you got to take like the whole front end off to attach. What a headache!

Yeah, I looked at those DVD instructions. I'd take you a whole weekend and I think you'd still not be confident it'll work when your done. Or even what shape the interior would be in by you taking so many things apart.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No kidding, I think I will stick to installing the floor mats, and the under back seat carga tray. Even the under back storage system start to get complex, and requires cutting. Or even worse, check out the trunck net, you need to get under and drill holes!

Oh well the good news is that all the things I want or really need are built in except the Tonneau cover.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe honda is making these things difficult to persuade you to go to the dealership to get the work done.

·
Registered
762 Posts
From everything I've heard it has more to do with keeping the cost of the initial vehicle down. There are different departments at Honda that handle the new vehicles and the accessories. Obvoiusly the accessory ones are always pushing for more plug and play applications. Yes, I know it doesn't seem like it would add much to the vehicle price (and it might not) but I'm sure when it comes down to expenses and budgeting the vehicle every bit counts. They have gotten better with some items but there is still some ways to go.

It may also have some to do with the accessories not being developed at an early enough stage to design the attachments and wiring into the vehicle.

-Trevor
HandA

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I had a feeling that it might have been a cost issue. Before folks got to actually drive the truck they were critical of it because it is a Honda, it has only a V6, blah blah blah. A very high price tag, even just at the top end, would have given the critics that much more to complain about.

·
Registered
526 Posts
From everything I've heard it has more to do with keeping the cost of the initial vehicle down. There are different departments at Honda that handle the new vehicles and the accessories. Obvoiusly the accessory ones are always pushing for more plug and play applications. Yes, I know it doesn't seem like it would add much to the vehicle price (and it might not) but I'm sure when it comes down to expenses and budgeting the vehicle every bit counts. They have gotten better with some items but there is still some ways to go.

It may also have some to do with the accessories not being developed at an early enough stage to design the attachments and wiring into the vehicle.

-Trevor
HandA
I used to try to wave, no one ever waved back so I have stopped.

You probably see more RLs here in Colorado then most places since they are all 4WD. When I drive my son to school I normally see one or two (not counting the one driven by my firstgraders friends mom), and there are at least 2 other owners in the neighbor hood.

However, they still dont wave.

However, they still dont wave.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
bottom line - I wanted that camera and having installed other OEM accessories I was confident that with an early start, quiet work area, tools, camera kit and printed instructions- I'd do it

Believe me, mechanically I'm just average.

I've read the forum on how long it's taken others and I've watched youtube on the install which states 6 hrs ... Who cares? - just do it.
Block-out a day for the project, get a pot of coffee going and get it done one diagram, one page at a time. You'll do it, save a bundle and feel pretty a good about yourself.

I kept a marker handy and crossed-out the diagrams as I completed them.

I decided to install the back-up sensors too at the same time since the truck was apart it only made sense. I guess, I saved at least a thousand bucks that day on install fees, good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts