Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have used the search function and could find no definitive answer. The two sets in question are the Pioneer TS-A1605C and Infinity Primus PR6500cs . I found both at a similar price. I chatted with an advisor to get clarification on fitment; of course they'll both need the sahr6 brackets. Sadly, in an effort to keep costs down, they'll be running only off a HU (most likely 22rms/50max - I haven't decided model yet. recommendations welcome). They will be paired with an MTX Thunder 202 and either a single MTX TN10-04 , Kicker C104 , or RF R1S410. I don't have a problem installing the tweeters in the sail, if need be. This is my budget, family friendly build. At this point, ANYTHING is better than stock paper. Thank You for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I have used the search function and could find no definitive answer. The two sets in question are the Pioneer TS-A1605C and Infinity Primus PR6500cs . I found both at a similar price. I chatted with an advisor to get clarification on fitment; of course they'll both need the sahr6 brackets. Sadly, in an effort to keep costs down, they'll be running only off a HU (most likely 22rms/50max - I haven't decided model yet. recommendations welcome). They will be paired with an MTX Thunder 202 and either a single MTX TN10-04 , Kicker C104 , or RF R1S410. I don't have a problem installing the tweeters in the sail, if need be. This is my budget, family friendly build. At this point, ANYTHING is better than stock paper. Thank You for your input.
Both speaker systems you are considering use 1st order crossovers on both hi and low drivers which should be better than lesser designs running woofers to their mechanical limit. Both are known brands with good manufacturer support so from that perspective it's hard to go wrong with either pair. When it comes to shopping speaker systems in a price range, there is no "right choice". If you have the option to compare both with a H.U. similar or the same as you are going to be using, trust your ears. Speakers have their own sound and no one can tell you what sounds good to you. Like food, I like (fill in the blank) with (fill in the blank) but you may find what I like less than pleasing. You are on solid ground with either set. What are your plans for the sub enclosure? I assume under the rear seat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What are your plans for the sub enclosure? I assume under the rear seat?
Thanks for the reply. As for the enclosure, down firing under rear seat. So far my only reputable option is sub thump, but this weekend I will try to hit a few shops for some custom quotes. I'm not even sure whether to go sealed or ported, though. This will be my first sub. My 2 previous Accord's just had Pioneer hu's and 4ch amped speakers. That was enough to keep me happy then since the 6x9's met my bass needs.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Pioneer is traditionally a lower end product and Infinity is a mid-grade product. Your choice.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Infinities are 3 ohm speakers which will help draw a little more juice from your headunit. I've honestly been somewhat of an Infinity fanboy for well over a decade. They've always sounded great to me, though I do like a bright sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I went ahead and purchased the Infinity's after a little more research online. Also, while on the Infinity subject, how are the Basslink's; sound/fitment? They are within my same wattage wants. It may be more cost effective for me in the long run since I don't have to buy a box and sub for around the same price. With that being said, I'd be able to run the MTX amp to the front components as well. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How do you like the sound of the infinity speakers? Mine are coming in Friday and I also ordered some MDF mounting rings to help install them. I've been looking at building a custom box under my back seat with 3 8" subs that I have already. I need to pull the rear seat and mount all my amps one of these days.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Yes, just for the extra 3 db sensitivity the infinities offer, makes them the right choice if they are not going to be used with good power or an amplifier.

Pioneer had a model just one step up from the one mentioned here that was a preference over many components in the $200.00 retail price $100 plus on line pricing, like Polk, Infinitive and those, smooth high frequency response and with the proper power, one of the best budget priced components sets available.

Both sets appear to have a cap and and coil in their crossovers making them a 2nd order, 12db slope crossovers.

Here is more information on passive crossovers, slopes, 1st order, second order, third and more of that technical info.

http://www.bcae1.com/xoorder.htm

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a Basslink in my Tacoma right behind the driver's seat. It filled in the bottom end, but the bass was not very tight and it did not get very loud. However, it may be just what you need. Not sure how well it would fit under the seat though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional insight, laserguy and beatle. I am still unsure weather or not just having the components as well as the matching coaxials (also in the mail)for the rear will fulfill my needs. I just have to wait and see. Now I'm just on the fence on my HU. It'll be between the Pioneer, Kenwood or JVC Double Din's (non-touch screen). I just like the look of them and they all basically come with BT and iPod control, so it'll most likely come down to price. Does the 14w vs 22w rms really make that big of a deal, or is it just a way to sell more?

I need to get out and check out the Basslink and/or an 8" Bazooka in person in case there is a need for more bass. Searching around all I can find is one set of pics with the Basslink installed, but they're not very detailed.

Thanks, Guys.

·
Registered
379 Posts
More power is always better, but an external amp will be better still. I drive my speakers with a Clarion XC1410 tucked behind the dash. It delivers 50w RMS to each channel, and 75w @ 2ohm. A larger amp with even more power would sound better still, but this is the point of diminishing returns, at least for my budget. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, the JVC KW-R910BT, Infinity Primus PR6500cs and PR6502is are in my trunk right now. I will be installing them all on Tuesday. I'll take some pics before and after. I'll be installing with a work buddy who's an old-school installer, so I'll see what tricks he shows me. I still haven't made it out to listen to some sub options, but just by reading and further research, I'm leaning towards the Bazooka BT8014. It seems to be a great, cost effective match to my MTX Thunder202. We'll see.

A side question: If I have the MTX Thunder202 running the sub along with, say, the Clarion XC1410 for the doors and tweets, will I need a cap or a stronger battery?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts