Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be concerned about buying a used RL from a state where they use salt on the roads? I'm in Colorado so its not an issue here, but have heard it can cause some serious rust elsewhere. I'm looking at an '09 or '10 so it won't be very old but I'm still a bit worried about this issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Of course road salt is a rust issue. Why not search out and buy on from a western or a southern state?

·
Registered
480 Posts
No salt is better than salt, but I have not heard about it being a big deal with Ridgelines. I live in New England which is salted very heavily, and my 1999 Accord, with 180,000 miles on it, has no rust. So I wouldn't rule out a Ridge from a "salty" state, if it's a good deal otherwise.

Flymo

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,147 Posts
Of course road salt is a rust issue. Why not search out and buy on from a western or a southern state?
You are suggesting that he go to the difficulty and expense of locating a southern Ridgeline??

Most modern vehicles, Ridgeline included, have galvanized body panels and long rust through warranties. Certainly some surface rust will be present on various bolts and components but it is very unlikely that there will be functional issues due to rust with a 3-4 year old ridge. The issues with the trans hose fittings on the radiator might be more prevalent in the salt states but that can be fixed relatively cheaply.

To the OP. . .It seem a bit strange to be fixated on rust issues on 3-4 year old vehicle. Give it a thorough looking over and up on a lift and you should be able to see if there is any major rust problems. Read up on the radiator issues and consider budgeting for a replacement. . .
The presence of service records indicating proper maintenance and a well kept overall appearance would probably be a better place to put your focus.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,866 Posts
Actually the mag chloride they use on the roads here in Colorado can cause significant damage to the chrome, rubber, hoses, belts, etc on your Ridgeline. Many shops recommend a good washing after every significant snowfall.

I would opt for a little more sand and a little less mag chloride.

Good luck in your search for a rust free RL.:act006:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The first RL I looked at was from a northern state. While the rust wasn't that bad, I passed on it because there were lots more RLs available that *weren't* rusty.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
Mine, luckily, came from Florida. It had next to no surface rust anywhere under it when I bought it. It has now gone through three northern winters and, whereas there is certainly more surface rust on it now than there was when I purchased it, it's still nowhere near a concern for me. The issue of the rusted transmission fluid line fittings on the radiator will happen no matter if you buy a truck that was in Texas or in New York. That, along with the fluid maintenance history, is the main thing to look for as far as I'm concerned when buying a used RL. No matter where the truck came from or whatever its age or mileage, a thorough inspection and a long test drive will help you make your decision. If you don't feel comfortable doing this inspection yourself, take the truck to a trusted local mechanic and pay the $40-50 it takes for a full professional inspection before you purchase it. It will give you a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
An inspection is worth it, the radiator tranny fittings. Also once the doors are open, many Ridgelines have shown rust on the doors that will cost to repair or keep it from spreading. You can see rust on any ridgeline on the seat rails. Newer Honda's will have more signs of rust, meaning quality has gone down in the last 8 years.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
Thinner, cheaper metals and sub par paint. Unfortunate results of the chase for profit growth. Honda still builds a high quality vehicle, but it has slipped over the past decade or so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I bought my RL used at 3 years old and promptly got it rustproofed yearly and it's still rust free. And yes we use salt here big time.

My 11 year old 2000 CRV got rust protected from day 1, and was still rust free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.