Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice in some old posts that a common concern is having a dealer 'rip' into your new Ridge, w/o having previous experience with some of the more complex installs.
To get past this, I recommend looking for a dealer that's put together a 'demo' Ridge with most of the bells & whistles on it. I was able to trim my fear factor way back after taking a close look at a Ridgeline the dealer had set up for themselves. With my new found confidence, I had them install a lot of my gear. They in fact did a great job all around (I didn't have them do the rear camera just because I couldn't live with paying so much. Fog lights were a concern for me though (make sure you check the wire routing - they might want to short cut you there). One thing I noted on their demo truck install was that they DID go ahead & install the center chrome strip on the front bumper, even though they also installed the front "brush guard" (instructions say can't have the center chrome strip w/brush guard also). It looked fine, so I had them do mine that way also - I think they said they had to make a minor install adjustment to compensate. BTW, the accessories "grill" looks great - I'm surprised I haven't seen it on more Ridges.

Dan

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We had the dealer install the roof rack, back up camera and running boards. They did an impeccable job on all of them. Well, I take that back. There was a loose nut on the running board that I noticed right away. When we took it back they tightened that nut and double checked all the rest. We've done all the rest of our mods and installs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to be the devil's advocate, I think what people are saying about the dealer-worries is that we are worried that the dealer does not have the proper "training" and practice to actually WORK on our trucks and FIX anything. Not that they can't install a bed cover or a hitch. I would HATE to see a dealer fail because they cannot properly fasten some accessory nuts and bolts. THAT is terrible!

On another note, I test drove a Chevrolet custom truck a few years back and when I got back, I was walking around the truck inspecting it and I noticed that a couple of the lugnuts were loose...almost falling off. The wheels were aftermarket (part of the "conversion" kit), so I would assume the same problem here...the mechanics were all over it right away making sure all the lugnuts were tight. But why not do it right the first time?

Cheers,
George

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
Just to be the devil's advocate . . .because they cannot properly fasten some accessory nuts and bolts. THAT is terrible! Cheers,
George
We're all human and get distracted. It was not a life threatening mistake. They made it right and apologized profusely. It might even increase the worker's vigilance so that it does not happen again. I can forgive them.

Ours was the first camera install they'd done. Everyone's got to learn and as far as I can tell they did a fine job. I am happy with the work and the workers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
One problem is lack of training. Having been a GM dealership mechanic for years ,I have seen this. Some dealers make the mechanic pull the next repair whether he has the experience or not. A lot of dealers are doing away with specialty mechanics and having them all be the "jack of all repairs". Unfortunately warranty repairs pay the mechanic very little so a lot of the newbies get the warranty work.
Also mechanics work on a commision. The more they do , the more $$$ they get. Which leads to more mistakes. Lack of pride in their job, they turn out broken cars. And sometimes, we as humans just make mistakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts