Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have browsing this site and received excellent insight into my future RL. When I bought my VW Passat new in 07' I found a site similar to this very useful.

I do apologize for the nature of my thread, as it is quite generic and done. However, after reading several dozens of similar threads I still have the urge to directly pose my own questions to the RL Community.

As mentioned I bought a Passat new in 07'. Love the car, but I just need a truck now for standard stuff like lumber and pulling snowmobiles. I personally have never bought a vehicle with more than 100k miles on it, but find myself considering it with a RL purchase. Perhaps I am considering it because the midsize truck market seems inflated, or maybe it's cuz I love having to car payment and don't really want to go back to a $400+/mo payments...or a combo of both.

I debate a wide range from this: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d734&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=53081&distance=MILES_200&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#resultsPage=1

To this:
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d734&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=53081&distance=MILES_200&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=99325028

My top range is like $24k, but honestly wouldn't mind staying around $20k. If I stay around $20k for and RTL model (prefer leather via kids, etc.), this is def coming with high mileage. So besides the 100k service of timing belt, is a service record the only other item to consider when buying 100k mileage vehicles? I am nervous, but confident after seeing so many here speak to little or no issues with 07, 08, 09, and 10's with high mileage.

Any other advice is welcome...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Generally speaking, Honda made no significant changes in the truck over the entire production run of the Gen1 Ridgeline. They made an engine/tranny tweak in 2009 but the basics are the same. The point being you wont find any significant model year oriented complaints one versus another year.

We have had some complaints of build quality which seem to start when they moved production to Alabama. The specific year this starts escapes me right now (Late 2008 I think). These seem to multiply as the model years progress. Most are minor, like paint irregularities, and bad weatherstripping. I attribute this to a lack of focus and an aging production line with old equipment. Since you are looking at older models, you should be fine.

I have owned two new Ridgelines. I drove an early production 2006 model 7 years and 200,000 miles with limited problems. I traded that for a new 2012 model late in 2012. The earlier model was better built, and the later one had some warranty issues that were very aggravating but eventually fixed. It has been flawless since. I was just under the truck this week and with 40K miles, some of the parts underneath it are beginning to rust, I don't remember this happening this quickly on the 2006 model. I live in Florida so it's not the weather.

If I were in your shoes, I would attempt to find an RL with service records. Honda vehicles are, in my mind, extremely fussy with things like fluid changes and the performance of routine maintenance. I would not buy a truck with over 100,000 miles unless you can prove the timing belt service was done or can discount the price enough to have it done yourself. Otherwise you would just look for obvious things like any other car or truck, dings, dents, irregular tire wear, etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Arto, I switched from a 2006 Vw b6 passat as well. I was very active on vortex. Really glad that I moved to the ridge. It's the most versatile vehicle that I have owned. My other vehicle is a cayenne but we still take this on most family trips. Also great for Home Depot and small projects that the car just couldn't handle. Been on this forum since getting the ridge and it is very useful and informative. Good luck

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
My recommendation if you are looking to limit $ spent & get your best result: Shop for a very low miles older year model RL from a mild climate area, if possible. After that, it's all about looking for one that has had all scheduled maintenance done on time & without issue. My opinion is that you are better off with an older, less used (low miles) vehicle than you are with a new one of equal value due to higher mileage. Good Luck!

(might take you some time to find the 'very low mileage older RL', but it will be worth the search.... even if you have to travel a bit to get to it)

·
Registered
379 Posts
If I stay around $20k for and RTL model (prefer leather via kids, etc.), this is def coming with high mileage.
Not sure what you mean by high mileage, but $20k will buy you a pretty low mileage RL, at least as far as I'm concerned. These trucks drive like new for such a long time that mileage is of little consequence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I stay around $20k for and RTL model (prefer leather via kids, etc.), this is def coming with high mileage.
Not sure what you mean by high mileage, but $20k will buy you a pretty low mileage RL, at least as far as I'm concerned. These trucks drive like new for such a long time that mileage is of little consequence.
I should have been more specific, but early research over past few weeks makes me feel like if im buying "newer"(2010+) for the $20k'ish price point, i am only shopping high mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My recommendation if you are looking to limit $ spent & get your best result: Shop for a very low miles older year model RL from a mild climate area, if possible. After that, it's all about looking for one that has had all scheduled maintenance done on time & without issue. My opinion is that you are better off with an older, less used (low miles) vehicle than you are with a new one of equal value due to higher mileage. Good Luck!

(might take you some time to find the 'very low mileage older RL', but it will be worth the search.... even if you have to travel a bit to get to it)
Great advice. I definitely lean this way the more and more i search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arto, I switched from a 2006 Vw b6 passat as well. I was very active on vortex. Really glad that I moved to the ridge. It's the most versatile vehicle that I have owned. My other vehicle is a cayenne but we still take this on most family trips. Also great for Home Depot and small projects that the car just couldn't handle. Been on this forum since getting the ridge and it is very useful and informative. Good luck
Ha! AMAZING! i am almost certain i bought a set of 19" wheels from you on the Vortex! Small world stuff going on...

Like most i search Tacomas and came across Ridgeline and it seems to fit the bill perfectly. I dont need to drive a V8 year round to have a truck, and I dont want ecoboost for several reasons. Glad to hear you like the Ridgeline...i am really looking forward to getting one soon. Just getting some warranty corrosion issues resolved on Passat before i get a new vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts