Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. Just joined up as i have been looking for a truck as my new daily driver. Im currently selling my Honda Fit and looking for something bigger for the family i.e.. newborn (7months). I went and test drove the Ridgeline and Canyon and Colorado, and felt the Ridgeline checked off the boxes for me as far as comfort, storage, and reliability as i have always owned hondas.

Ive narrowed down my choice to the RTL and the RTL-T 2WD. I want leather and these seem to be in my price range. But my question is as follows:

Is it worth the extra money for the Tech version over the RTL? I like the fact it brings the LED DRL's and Apple Car Play, although I've never used that before. Any insight?

Ive received a written offer for the RTL 2WD for $34,985 Out the Door... and financing with my credit looks to be around 2.69% for 72 months with $10k down... i did not work numbers on the RTL-T as i just realized about the extra options it brings...

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
I sure wouldn't pay the extra thinking you were getting something special with Apple car play. It isn't all this and that. The overall stereo system is better and that is worth something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a RTL-T AWD, I thought I would use apple car play--but no--don't need it, at least for me.That being said I really like the larger screen and the "Lanewatch"

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
Does one of these two models have the smaller display and the other one the 8-inch display? If if that's the case I would lean toward the RTL-T. (Personally I think the T stands for Touring. To me the RTL-E is the real tech version, although I believe the E stands for Elite) It's not the 8 inch display itself that I care about, it's the fact that that display is required to access some of the very best customization features that the Ridgeline has to offer. Perhaps you can get your salesperson to demonstrate this for you? There's a long list of settings and preferences that you just don't get access to on the lower trims.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the RTL-T mostly because I lack patience to wait until they could get a RTL-E. The -T gets you a higher level of technology and the -E has more. I don't have the seat memory, I wish I had. My husband is 6 inches taller than me so we move the driver's seat a lot. The -E also has the lane departure, collision mitigation, plug thingy I can't remember the proper name of in the back, sun roof, and a few other things. Oh, yeah, water sensing wipers...

I would have loved to have all that but no patience.

Personally I wouldn't go lower than the -T because you lose navigation and all of that fun stuff I still haven't figured out yet.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Of course the way they package the stuff, you have to opt for garbage (like the compass) to get worthwhile things (like Navigation, which does what the compass can). Depending on your cost difference here are your feature differences:

LED DRLs (eh. **corrected, I originally said headlights)
Lane watch (it's ok, good if you don't realize you're drifting)
Navigation System (Good to have in general, but you have to get it to get Carplay/Android Auto and the 8" screen)
8" Display (great. Although it is a fingerprint magnet, it's a good thing since it beholds the Navigation)
USB Audio Interface (good to have if you have media stored on a device)
CarPlay/Android Auto (stinks, but better navigation, it will improve)
Hondalink (some good, some lame points, but good to have 911 called if there is a collision)
SMS Text (stinks, but there is Carplay/Android as well to do the same)
Satellite Radio / HD Radio (For me it is good to have)
Pandora Streaming (eh, several other ways to get Pandora... but laughably they all require this trim package)
2nd Row USB port (not worth it to me, but if you have passengers often, sure)
Compass (junk that they try to show as additional, when Navigation rather does better... but it is usable)

All of that said, those above things are pretty good options if the price tag is not so bad. And in the end, consider how long you will keep the truck. Your resale will be a little higher on the T.

MSRP RTL: $33,780
MSRP RTL-T: $35,930 (+$2,150 to RTL for the above features)
MSRP RTL-E: $41,370 (+7,590 adds to RTL for above and.. AWD, LED Headlights, Sensing [cruise, parking, cross-traffic, collision mitigation, blind spot] moonroof, sliding rear window, auto headlights on/off/dimming, AC inverter, heated steering, seat memory, upgraded audio system, bed audio)

If you don't need AWD, the RTL-T hits a pretty good spot. Knowing what I know about the truck now, I find those particular features a rather decent addition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i think i prefer the 8" monitor. The Nav is nice, but we all have smart phones... i guess it would be nice to have it built into the H/U though. I do like the passenger side mount camera for right turns as well as the car play option. You mention LED headlights, i think thats only on your model which is the Black Edition... the RTL-T is only LED DRL's... i wish it was headlights. The RTL-E isn't in my price range. Truthfully I'm looking for $35-$36k OTD price and a 72 month loan for about $25k...

I think I'm going to choose the RTL-T... just have to sell my current Honda Fit to get that down payment...

Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Registered
741 Posts
yea, i think i prefer the 8" monitor. The Nav is nice, but we all have smart phones... i guess it would be nice to have it built into the H/U though. I do like the passenger side mount camera for right turns as well as the car play option. You mention LED headlights, i think thats only on your model which is the Black Edition... the RTL-T is only LED DRL's... i wish it was headlights. The RTL-E isn't in my price range. Truthfully I'm looking for $35-$36k OTD price and a 72 month loan for about $25k...

I think I'm going to choose the RTL-T... just have to sell my current Honda Fit to get that down payment...

I have a RTL-T (AWD) and came from a Cherokee Trailhawk that had all the bells/whistles that the E/BE trims have. Do I miss them? Not all, but the one thing I wish I had still was the adaptive cruise control. It was nice not having to turn the cruise control on/off whenever creeping up to slower traffic, but that's not a feature I use on a daily basis and will surely miss whenever we travel, but that's it. Aside from that, I don't miss all the other features that are bound to break and cost an arm and a leg to repair down the road. I wish the sliding rear window was an option on all trims, but whatever. I don't need a sunroof in a truck, but it would be nice from time to time. Again... will I miss it? Sometimes... but not as much as the $$ I would be spending on a monthly basis for the occasional use of a few features. All-in-all, I think the RTL-T is the "sweet spot" trim that will meet the needs of the majority of RL owners. The head unit takes some getting used to, and it is a fingerprint magnet (you can buy a screen protector to mitigate them, though). I use Android Auto for Google Maps 99% more than the built-in GPS. It's speech recognition is much better and quicker because it accesses Google via your phone vs a built-in (often outdated) database/map.

Good luck w/ your purchase! It's a great truck! :grin:

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts

Ah yes, you might be correct about the LEDs sorry. Yeah, good luck. Since you're coming from Honda to Honda, you will enjoy the truck pretty well, I'm sure.

·
Registered
293 Posts

Forgot to ask where you live. Even in St Louis you would want the AWD. The roads are easy enough to navigate in snow but not the other drivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to ask where you live. Even in St Louis you would want the AWD. The roads are easy enough to navigate in snow but not the other drivers.
Im in Miami, FL... 2WD will work for me as i don't see any off road or towing in my future...

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Regarding the stereo...
Jury is still out on AA/Carplay.

With the lower-end head unit, it will be much easier to upgrade to a head unit that really has everything you want.

With the higher-end head unit, upgrading may be impossible, so you may be stuck with what you get. If Honda pushes updates to that head unit, and keeps it up-to-date for a few years, that won't be a bad thing. However, if Honda does not push updates, or allow them, then the higher-end head unit becomes a liability.

So, fancy stereo is a bit of a gamble while the cheaper stereo is a known quantity that can eventually be upgraded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My choice came down to RTL with old-school buttons and knobs on the radio and the RTL-T with XM, NAV, and a fingerprint magnet. I never wanted the Captain Billy Whizbang, the truck-knows-better-than-you, interventionist driving tech. Paying a lot extra for tech I don't want or need for an E didn't make any sense and the Black version in the desert makes even less sense to a lifelong desert rat.

Decided on the fingerprint magnet RTL-T at my wife's insistence. Primarily because of the XM Radio, back-up camera, and NAV capability. I'm not a techie and couldn't give a fig about voice command or Apple Car play.

AWD was always a must: more flexibility, better towing capacity, better high speed handlng, and I suspect much better re-sale value. A frequent commute takes me over a mountain pass that got over a foot of snow just last week.

Some minor beefs and learning to manage the infotainment has been a challenge but otherwise very happy with the choice.

YMMV. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In an urban environment, the lane watch feature on the "T" model s worth the money, the rest is a bonus. RLT-T is my vote.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My choice came down to RTL with old-school buttons and knobs on the radio and the RTL-T with XM, NAV, and a fingerprint magnet. I never wanted the Captain Billy Whizbang, the truck-knows-better-than-you, interventionist driving tech. Paying a lot extra for tech I don't want or need for an E didn't make any sense and the Black version in the desert makes even less sense to a lifelong desert rat.

Decided on the fingerprint magnet RTL-T at my wife's insistence. Primarily because of the XM Radio, back-up camera, and NAV capability. I'm not a techie and couldn't give a fig about voice command or Apple Car play.

AWD was always a must: more flexibility, better towing capacity, better high speed handlng, and I suspect much better re-sale value. A frequent commute takes me over a mountain pass that got over a foot of snow just last week.

Some minor beefs and learning to manage the infotainment has been a challenge but otherwise very happy with the choice.

YMMV. Good luck.
I got this for my RTL-T "fingerprint" magnet and have been pleased with its performance so far! Minimal fingerprints and glare greatly reduced!

https://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=7099-01

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I got this for my RTL-T "fingerprint" magnet and have been pleased with its performance so far! Minimal fingerprints and glare greatly reduced!

https://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=7099-01
I almost picked that up, I couldn't decide between that Photodon and Nushield. In the end I picked up the Nushield Triple A version. It resists fingerprints pretty well... but as expected with any film, it cuts the clarity by a scosche (they all do). The Photodon and Nushield are probably extremely similar. I'm totally happy with Nushield, but just for the sake of experimentation, I think I will try what you have next time.

Nushield.com Screen Protectors | Screen Shields

·
Registered
457 Posts
One thing to consider is that preferences for door lock behavior/lights etc are hard coded on the models with the base radio but can be adjusted on the 8" Display audio radio. For instance I have an RTS and the smart entry only unlocks the drivers door when it senses my hand on the drivers door and unlocks all doors when it senses my hand at the front passenger door. On the RTL-T and up, you can program the behavior to open all doors when the drivers door is unlocked.

Trivial, and can be worked around, but if I load my daughter on the passenger side, I can place my hand in the passenger front door handle (but not open the door) which unlocks the rear doors. If I load her on the drivers side, I need to either have the key out, or open the drivers door then hit the unlock button on the door, then open the rear door. First world problems and all, but if you consistently have your hands full with a toddler and diaper bags and other kid crap its a bit frustrating knowing that it 'could' be easily changed via software that I don't have access.

As far as AA and CarPlay. If you have an iPhone and use apple maps its nice to be able to preset your destination and have it ready to go when you get in the car. The phone interface is mostly duplicated on the screen which is familiar and safe - My wife and I have used CarPlay in her RAV4 (aftermarket Alpine) for 2 years and its been great. I would imagine it is similar on the Android side.

I went with an RTS mostly for the cloth seats and the ability to upgrade the radio down the road, but that has had its drawbacks. If you aren't going to replace the head unit, I would go with the RTL-T.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I almost picked that up, I couldn't decide between that Photodon and Nushield. In the end I picked up the Nushield Triple A version. It resists fingerprints pretty well... but as expected with any film, it cuts the clarity by a scosche (they all do). The Photodon and Nushield are probably extremely similar. I'm totally happy with Nushield, but just for the sake of experimentation, I think I will try what you have next time.

Nushield.com Screen Protectors | Screen Shields
Well, we're not far apart... we could always do a side by side comparo at some point. I think they're both good products, and it sounds like you and I are both happy with them. It's a cheap solution to a problem that was a PITA for me, so in the end, I'm happy. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts