Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm camping and really need a constant 12v when the engine is off to charge cell phones.
I search and can not find it anywhere for the g2. I've done this for a couple other cars.

Anyone know where the relays are for the usb ports and some pics on how to jump them?

Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
Running a constant 12V is not advised. What I recommend is buying a small battery pack that has USB outlets, connect your phone to the battery pack and the battery pack to the 12V outlet. Something like a GooLoo 500A (37Wh)jump pack would suffice. On the upside, you have a jumper that is ready at your disposal.

I used this setup when my kid was young and was able to watch videos on a tablet and I did not want to keep the truck (and my van) running, in the fear of depleting the tablet's battery. This is usually when either my wife or I, waiting with the kid in the car while the other shopped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm, my old 08 Dakota has a constantly powered 12v in console between the seats, I have used it on surf and camping and race weekends for more than a decade and never once killed the battery, it seems the draw to charge a little phone is about nothing compared to the size of the truck's battery. Just bought our Ridgeline this week and knowing it has 12v in the console between the seats it was just my assumption that it too is functional when the vehicle is off, is that assumption not accurate? Assuming it is accurate, my experience in the Dakota suggests charging the phone should be no issue....as long as you are not doing it daily for a week without driving the Ridgeline for opportunity to top up the charge.

Nonetheless, for longer trips I always have a jumper box/power station of some sort just in case, and often a few little power banks for charging cameras while on the trail, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
158 Posts
After what I've read about newer Hondas, I wouldn't recommend any added drain on the vehicles battery.
As mentioned above, I too use a lithium booster for charging usb.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Just bought our Ridgeline this week and knowing it has 12v in the console between the seats it was just my assumption that it too is functional when the vehicle is off, is that assumption not accurate?
For decades, domestic brands had power outlets that were powered at all times while those in foreign brands were switched. Now, they're all moving to switched.

From the owner's manuals of current mid-size trucks, for example:

Ridgeline: "The accessory power sockets can be used when the power mode is in ACCESSORY or ON."
Colorado: "Power is always supplied to the outlets."
Ranger: "When you switch the ignition on, you can use the socket to power 12 V appliances with a maximum current rating of 15 A."
Tacoma: "The power outlet can be used when [...] The engine switch is in the “ACC” or “ON” position"
Frontier: "The power outlets are powered only when the ignition switch is in the ACC or ON position."
Gladiator: "Power is available when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position."

The Colorado is the only one with outlets that are powered at all times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts