Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw CR's review of the RL. It scored 75 on a 0-100 scale, 18 points better than the 2d place Colorado & 34 higher than the Taco. It also topped all of the full-size trucks. For me it's another data point that is right in line with most of the other RL reviews I've read and confirms my personal experience. For me the RL is the best truck available that meets my needs & wants in a truck - and I love my BE more every day.

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
They made it top rated midsize pickup truck and also gave it a "Recommended." In fact, it's the only recommended vehicle of the midsize pickup range. I haven't even read the review yet but I know Consumer Reports. They love this truck.

New & Used Car Ratings, Reviews & Buying Guides - Consumer Reports

Not sure whether you'll be able to follow that link or not, but it's worth a try. I'll post a screenshot of the ratings. I don't think that Consumer Reports will mind that since we're linking to them.

I just read in the CR story that the G1 took Most Reliable Used Pickup Truck! Double win!

Consumer Reports' December 2016 review ratings chart with the Ridgeline at the top of the heap.

· Registered
234 Posts
They usually sum up with their pros and cons in their review. What did they say were the RL pros and cons?
CR states:

Pros:
* most car like
* quiet and well finished
*comfortable ride
* tailgate and trunk

Cons:
* 5000 lb tow rating
* touch screen unintuitive and poor design
* shallow bed

Basically, what many (but not all) here are echoing.

· Registered
380 Posts
This will only add to re-sale value.

Observations on Consumer Reports Video Road Test of the Ridgeline:
CR team really, really liked this truck.
They recorded a 7.3 0 – 60 time, others have seen 6.6.
20MPG overall (I'm hitting 25 and 26 after 700 miles).
They preferred the BSM over the “Lanewatch” feature.
One reviewer stated: “It rides better than many luxury SUVs.”

· Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.
I agree with your comment about 'fanboys' complaining if CR rips their new ride; however, having owned the G3 Tacoma, it deserves every bit of the low score that it got..........

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
Re: This will only add to re-sale value.

Observations on Consumer Reports Video Road Test of the Ridgeline:
CR team really, really liked this truck.
They recorded a 7.3 0 – 60 time, others have seen 6.6.
20MPG overall (I'm hitting 25 and 26 after 700 miles).
They preferred the BSM over the “Lanewatch” feature.
One reviewer stated: “It rides better than many luxury SUVs.”
The differences in 0-60 times may be due to test conditions such as temperature, elevation, and fuel quality. The lowest I've seen in 6.6. The highest I've seen is in the upper 7-second range.

Their 20 MPG overall observation seems more real-world to me. Fuelly is reporting 21 MPG and I'm averaging 22 in mixed, real-world driving with a conservative foot. You may already be aware, but the trip computer seems to read almost 2 MPG too high.

Based on their initial review, they'll probably continue to remain smitten with the Ridgeline for some time unless reliability issues such as the connector issue become common.

· Registered
380 Posts
Consumer Reports

I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports.
CR does make mistakes but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews, observations, and recommendations, IMO.

Some want to forget that CR blind purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.)
Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.

They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car.

Reactions: Rondo

· Premium Member
237 Posts
While you are obviously correct that post-purchase bias will keep new owners from having a completely objective viewpoint, I'm happy to wear the "badge of honor" for having CR's top pick as I feel that they are the least biassed of the reviewers and most accurately represent me as a consumer. I'm sure that Tacoma owners feel the same way about their TFL Truck reviews.

· Super Moderator
3,076 Posts
The last time I trusted CR for advise I bought a recommended model vacuum cleaner. It was JUNK ! And that was the last time I used that advise. I remember looking it over in the store thinking this thing looks like junk and at the time trusted their recommendation. It lasted just till the warranty period was over and then promptly died. What a joke.

Personally, I think their advise is biased based on the people in their testing group. And they have a very obvious Green bias on everything. Not that it's a bad thing but when you are biased then your reviews and CEO who expresses their opinioned bias in their new articles shows through on everything. Hence the bias label IMO. YMMV this is based IMO

Steve M

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports.
CR does make mistakes but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews, observations, and recommendations, IMO.

Some want to forget that CR blind purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.)
Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.

They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car.
I've always consulted CR before buying a car. I don't always agree, but I do value their opinion.

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
About 4 years ago, I bought their highest-rated front-load washer and dryer. The dryer broke right after the one-year warranty period. I quickly bought an extended warranty. The warranty provider said parts were no longer available for that model. The manufacturer ended up refunding the dryer. I'm still using the "free" dryer, although the display no longer works. The washer sometimes refuses to recognize that the door is closed. It also sometimes runs long enough to dispense the detergent, drain, then prematurely end the cycle thereby wasting the detergent!

I usually find CR's vehicle ratings and reliability reports to be somewhat accurate, but their other product reviews are lacking. One problem is manufacturer fragmentation. One model of appliance might be the best ever while the model above or below or the preceding or replacement model might be totally different. As quickly as products change, by the time they've reviewed something it's often near the end of its life and has been replaced by a different model. There are also a LOT of holes in their product review lineups. Take televisions, for example... There may have tested 50 of them when there are 500 on the market and half of the 50 they tested have already been discontinued.

CR provides another data point and perspective, but little more. I used to be a long-time subscriber to CR, but found that I tend to do as well or better selecting a product on my own.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.