Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Consumer Reports - A Win for the G2

11K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  CCDAstro 
#1 ·
Just saw CR's review of the RL. It scored 75 on a 0-100 scale, 18 points better than the 2d place Colorado & 34 higher than the Taco. It also topped all of the full-size trucks. For me it's another data point that is right in line with most of the other RL reviews I've read and confirms my personal experience. For me the RL is the best truck available that meets my needs & wants in a truck - and I love my BE more every day.

#3 · (Edited)
They made it top rated midsize pickup truck and also gave it a "Recommended." In fact, it's the only recommended vehicle of the midsize pickup range. I haven't even read the review yet but I know Consumer Reports. They love this truck.

New & Used Car Ratings, Reviews & Buying Guides - Consumer Reports

Not sure whether you'll be able to follow that link or not, but it's worth a try. I'll post a screenshot of the ratings. I don't think that Consumer Reports will mind that since we're linking to them.

I just read in the CR story that the G1 took Most Reliable Used Pickup Truck! Double win!

Consumer Reports' December 2016 review ratings chart with the Ridgeline at the top of the heap.

#9 ·
This will only add to re-sale value.

Observations on Consumer Reports Video Road Test of the Ridgeline:
CR team really, really liked this truck.
They recorded a 7.3 0 – 60 time, others have seen 6.6.
20MPG overall (I'm hitting 25 and 26 after 700 miles).
They preferred the BSM over the “Lanewatch” feature.
One reviewer stated: “It rides better than many luxury SUVs.”

#12 ·
Re: This will only add to re-sale value.

Observations on Consumer Reports Video Road Test of the Ridgeline:
CR team really, really liked this truck.
They recorded a 7.3 0 – 60 time, others have seen 6.6.
20MPG overall (I'm hitting 25 and 26 after 700 miles).
They preferred the BSM over the “Lanewatch” feature.
One reviewer stated: “It rides better than many luxury SUVs.”
The differences in 0-60 times may be due to test conditions such as temperature, elevation, and fuel quality. The lowest I've seen in 6.6. The highest I've seen is in the upper 7-second range.

Their 20 MPG overall observation seems more real-world to me. Fuelly is reporting 21 MPG and I'm averaging 22 in mixed, real-world driving with a conservative foot. You may already be aware, but the trip computer seems to read almost 2 MPG too high.

Based on their initial review, they'll probably continue to remain smitten with the Ridgeline for some time unless reliability issues such as the connector issue become common.

#10 ·
I don't listen to these comparisons either way. If Consumer Report's opinion was poor then everyone here would complain and dismiss it, stating they don't know what they are doing. So when the review or comparison goes the owners way, they wear it as a badge of honor. When it doesn't they incessantly complain and point the finger. Best just to make your own judgement.

#15 ·
Consumer Reports

I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports.
CR does make mistakes but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews, observations, and recommendations, IMO.

Some want to forget that CR blind purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.)
Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.

They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car.

Reactions: Rondo
#21 ·
Downward Spiral?

I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports. .
“This is your last chance. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” Morpheus, The Matrix.

#17 ·
The last time I trusted CR for advise I bought a recommended model vacuum cleaner. It was JUNK ! And that was the last time I used that advise. I remember looking it over in the store thinking this thing looks like junk and at the time trusted their recommendation. It lasted just till the warranty period was over and then promptly died. What a joke.

Personally, I think their advise is biased based on the people in their testing group. And they have a very obvious Green bias on everything. Not that it's a bad thing but when you are biased then your reviews and CEO who expresses their opinioned bias in their new articles shows through on everything. Hence the bias label IMO. YMMV this is based IMO

Steve M

#22 ·
I stopped listening to CR a long time ago. A lot of their comparisons are so superficial and ignorant it's ridiculous.

Just because they claim not to be biased doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They've always struggled to rate trucks because they don't know how trucks are used in the real world. I remember an SUV comparison they did where the top rated SUV was the least practical. Essentially defeating the point of buying an SUV. But since it was the most "car-like" it ended up tops. I saw rollover safety was mentioned here...well Consumer Reports rigged their rollover test for the Samurai to gain publicity, doing great harm to Suzuki in the process.

I'm not dissing the Ridgeline here, it's a fine truck, just a reality check. And a chance to vent about a publication I've come to despise due to my previous faith in it.

Like someone said earlier, find out for yourself what you like.

#18 ·
I've gone down the rabbit hole before defending Consumer Reports.
CR does make mistakes but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews, observations, and recommendations, IMO.

Some want to forget that CR blind purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts no advertising unlike other publications (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, US News etc.)
Do not forget that CR was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.

They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision auto braking systems for every new car.
I've always consulted CR before buying a car. I don't always agree, but I do value their opinion.

#19 · (Edited)
About 4 years ago, I bought their highest-rated front-load washer and dryer. The dryer broke right after the one-year warranty period. I quickly bought an extended warranty. The warranty provider said parts were no longer available for that model. The manufacturer ended up refunding the dryer. I'm still using the "free" dryer, although the display no longer works. The washer sometimes refuses to recognize that the door is closed. It also sometimes runs long enough to dispense the detergent, drain, then prematurely end the cycle thereby wasting the detergent!

I usually find CR's vehicle ratings and reliability reports to be somewhat accurate, but their other product reviews are lacking. One problem is manufacturer fragmentation. One model of appliance might be the best ever while the model above or below or the preceding or replacement model might be totally different. As quickly as products change, by the time they've reviewed something it's often near the end of its life and has been replaced by a different model. There are also a LOT of holes in their product review lineups. Take televisions, for example... There may have tested 50 of them when there are 500 on the market and half of the 50 they tested have already been discontinued.

CR provides another data point and perspective, but little more. I used to be a long-time subscriber to CR, but found that I tend to do as well or better selecting a product on my own.

#23 ·
Over 20 years leaning on the red dots has saved me so much money I can't even start to calculate it.
Steered us wrong on a small freezer two years back but luckily it was under warranty.
And mebbe' a couple more purchases over the years didn't work out.

So to those of you who haven't discovered Consumer Reports; do not be deterred by those who diss this excellent source of information, try to claim it's somehow biased, and then proudly proclaim they ditched their subscriptions and do not consult CR before a new (or used) vehicle purchase.

Reactions: geoNH and 10kster
#26 ·
I've also subscribed for the past 20 years and have benefited tremendously. CR has the best reputation for any circulation/website reviews and advice out there; especially automobiles. Just remember Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization and to quote them "For 80 years, we have provided evidence-based product testing and ratings, rigorous research, hard-hitting investigative journalism, public education, and steadfast policy action on behalf of consumers’ interests." For the G2 to get a very positive review is not only fair, but well deserved.

#28 ·
Don't be afraid to trust Consumer Reports

I am sure there are way more people who think like us about CR.

This is at least the third time I have seen a debate on Consumer Reports credibility originate from a forum post about a CR review of a certain vehicle.
I say its a rabbit hole because some will never accept that CR is an excellent source for solid information on cars, trucks, and SUVs.

The discussion always evolves into some “incident”-sharing, CR bashing, and claims of bias for the Consumers' Union.
The post about the “damage” CR did to Suzuki is nonsense, IMO.
Just getting the awareness of how top-heavy and dangerous many SUVs were is worth any difficulties Suzuki, who is a bit player in US market, may have experienced.

Those who are proud that they have “moved on” from CR are headed in the wrong direction, IMO.

Reactions: Rondo
#27 · (Edited)
I've been a CR subscriber since 1983. I wouldn't buy a new car without consulting it, but I have always taken their opinions with a grain of salt. They covered computers in the 80s and 90s — something I've had expertise in for a long time — and their conclusions were almost laughable at times. They like to set themselves up as experts but they are actually dilettantes. The publication is best when it sticks to its test data. Unfortunately they have gotten further and further away from what the testing scientists would like to put in the publication and are now celebrating form over function. Bottom line: I have a love-hate relationship with Consumer Reports. I value the fact that they do independent testing. I value the fact that they've taken on an advocacy role on safety and other aspects in the interest of the consumer. But they do have clear biases on things, and worse, they make many faulty assumptions. I would never rely entirely on their material to make a purchase decision. A part of my purchase decisions are my own gut and personal feel about the product at hand. I think a lot of us can just tell when a product is quality. I try never to ignore that feeling either way no matter what CR and others say.

But let's not forget, they sure got this one right about the Ridgeline!

This post has been deleted
#31 ·
The Tacoma never scored very high with CR and has never had the "Recommended" title yet it is still the highest sold mid size pick up on the market. I know there are a few here that traded the new generation Tacoma but I have 2 close friends that have the new gen Tacoma and both have had zero issues with them. I posted her that I drove 2 different trim levels for almost 4 moths and never had an issue with either one. I have been driving an F150 since turning in the Tacoma and that things is great as well but a bit too big for daily use. I will be picking up a 2017 Ridgeline LX (Canadian base model) on Friday as a long term rental (through a friends leasing company) and will see how I like it. Still not sold on buying it due to too many electronic gadgets at least for me, we will see after 4-6 weeks of driving it if I will get use to the stuff.

I don't depend on any magazine reviews when purchasing something. If we are all honest with ourselves we can't say that CR is not biased. If you think about it logically, they do not have a robot doing the reviews that they could program to look at things the same way for all vehicle being tested. The tests are done by people/humans and we are all programmed to have some bias installed into us weather we realise it or not by our environment, including our parents, friends, spouses, co-workers, news and even internet forums. TommyD is right in saying you need to decide for yourself and how you do that is up to you. To imply that a person is wrong for not trusting or utilising CR reports is biased in itself. :nerd:
The CR reports involve two key approaches. First is an evaluation of vehicles of similar class, using the same tests for all of them. The avoidance of bias is based on lack of incentive to favor one over the other due to advertising, free stuff (e.g. a loaned vehicle), etc. You will not find less bias than CR in my view.

As for reliability, they base this almost entirely (to my knowledge) on reports to them from owners. I get those requests for reports at least once a year. As we know from this forum, some people in any large sample will have problems with any vehicle. The only way to get a true sense of the percent of problems is from a really large sample. That's what CR gets and reports on regarding reliability.

#33 ·
See Alice anywhere?

To expand on Lifesaver1's post, the Consumer Reports auto owners survey uses tens of thousands of responses from their subscribers – I do mine religiously – which is not a technique duplicated anywhere else that I know of.
That fact alone, IMO, totally sets them apart from other organizations/publications that review and rate vehicles.

All this sharing of alleged CR screw-ups, baseless CR bashing, and claims of bias by the Consumers' Union are borderline-conspiracy-theory, tin foil hat territory. IMO.
Read back a few pages and you will see we are now pretty deep down that rabbit hole.

#36 ·
CR's positive review of the RL is a good thing, but there's not a lot of new information in it. They've confirmed what most other reviewers have been saying about the truck, including complaints about the 8" touchscreen, narrow rear door openings and limited off-road utility.

What I found interesting was how much higher the RL's overall score and road test results were, as compared to competing mid-sizers. Predicted reliability, however, was just "Good", which reflects Honda's continuing slide in brand reliability from the "Excellent" or "Very Good" ratings they once held. That said, the RL is still predicted to be more reliable than the competition, especially the new Taco which was given a shameful "Poor" reliability rating as well as miserable test scores. Ouch!

#40 ·
Exactly!
I don't think the OP was serious.
But if he/she is, avoiding the safety "nannies" is definitely going against the grain, IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.