Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the low sum of $12, joined CR as an online subscriber.

06 is gonna need new shoes soon so been looking into how & what CR tests. I admire their efforts - wish I worked in their labs! Anyhow...

For me, quiet and fuel efficient rolling ranks towards the top, nearly as important as grip rankings.

There's a 2 point swing in overall ratings in the top 5 recommended brands - which pushes my cheap bastard button when price is considered.

And it makes me think there is little value in buying a "popular brand".

Price summary high to low:
Michelin $740
Goodyear $700
Cooper $680
Hankook $616 < EDIT correction
Falken $468

That's a $272 swing from low to high!

Anyone rolling Falken rubber? I've never had these on a personal vehicle.

ConsumerReportsTRecommendedTires.jpg

ConsumerReportsTRecommendedTires2.jpg

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Great info.

Never owned Falken. Have owned both Cooper and Hankook. No significant complaints.

But I would add I have always kept the Michelins on the Ridgelines. Unscientifically speaking, they seem to have better wear and ride character when they get a bunch of miles on them. Wife's Odyssey got Hankook in place of Michelin last time, and with 25k on the tires it seemingly rides like a truck. Again...unscientifically speaking, just seat of the pants feel. Could be shocks or something else too.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I've had Falkens on a few cars I've owned. They are good tires for the price. I never kept a car long enough to run a set bald but I got 30K on one car with no problems and plenty of tread left when I traded it.

Michelins are good but I've always thought they were over priced compared to what else you can get.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I stuck with the Michelins but went from the MS to the AT's. I don't notice a difference ride quality. I got 72k (could have gone further) out of the OEM Michelins and that says a lot for the the manufacturer and quality of the tire IMHO. Yes, there is a swing in cost, but there's also a longevity difference in tire ware (50 vs. 60k). Personally I don't mind paying a little more for something I know has a history of working well for me. Over several years, the cost is negligible.

Also, I'd suggest going to some of the tire websites (Sams, etc.) and see what people who have bought the tires think. That's what I want to hear. I view CR with a grain of salt as they have a history of, for example; not rating a car very high but yet recommending it as a consumer best buy...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to note in the fine print that the CR test tires are 265/70-17; not the OE 245/65-17. I prefer the consumer reviews in TIRERACK plus their callout of tires with specific low rolling resistance features.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've had Falkens on cars before. I liked them, but the last set/car combo I had they got loud fast as the tread wore a bit.

I like both consumer feedback/reviews and CR-type testing, but if I had to choose one or the other to rely on, it'd be CR every time, because they run the exact same tests and conditions for all the tested items. No two consumers either have the exact same experience nor the exact same perspectives or way of sharing/expressing their perspectives, so comparisons are incomparable at best. :)

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
I find the info on Tire Rack's website to be a good starting point for choosing tires. They sell a large volume and a huge variety of tires. Most of the reviews are customer based which has its issues but the tires are vetted in the real world in a large variety of conditions. They also give you a sense of real world long term durability that CR really can't duplicate.

I chose a set of Firestone Destination LE2's based on the reviews at Tire Rack and elsewhere. They are excellent tires, well worth considering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts