Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Interesting, generally liked it but not a complete review yet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Interesting, generally liked it but not a complete review yet.
To me the most interesting part is what CR and other reviewers have said about the larger display screen on the T, E, and Black. Sadly it seems like you get a less user friendly display screen on the more expensive vehicles. I am highly attracted to the safety features on those models, but unhappy that the display is considered subpar.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The good thing is that Honda typically listens to what CR says and often responds with a refresh addressing their complaints. Honda knows its targeted car buyers read CR and it wants to keep its good reputation going in the magazine, so if you can wait for a year or two, you may see a better display. At least that's the way it used to be...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well one of their complaints was that it had glare but that is easily fixed with one of the many touch screen anti glare stick-ons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The good thing is that Honda typically listens to what CR says and often responds with a refresh addressing their complaints.
It is true that CR's hugely critical review of the last-generation Civic got them to rush a substantial refresh, but CR has been complaining about the touch-screen electronics in various recent Honda vehicles (including the HR-V and Pilot) since their release, without any Honda response that I've seen.

Here's a section from CR's Pilot review:

All Pilots, except the most basic LX trim, have a poorly-designed touch-screen-controlled infotainment system. We really mean it -- the touch screen controls everything. There are no conventional knobs or buttons at all on the radio, just a sleek looking plane of glass. Forget about a simple volume knob or a power button. Nope, instead, everything is done by tapping on the screen.

Doing this precisely is difficult while reaching for the far-away screen, whose smooth surfaces give you nothing to brace against. The on-screen buttons are big, but some are too close together. Finding some necessary menus, like for iPod browsing, is hidden and unintuitive. Even simple things like changing volume or radio stations are annoying. (The steering wheel controls help; you'll learn to rely on them.)

In the end, they call the Pilot's touch-screen system "frustrating" and "a mess." Yet Honda is seemingly using the same unit in the new Ridgeline? I would have hoped they'd be more sensitive to such negative reviews and improve the system in a newly-released 2017 vehicle, but it would seem they are committed to the current electronics arrangement, at least in the short run. Those easy-to-use big knobs and buttons on my 2012 Sport are just another reason to wait and see what the refresh brings.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Those easy-to-use big knobs and buttons on my 2012 Sport are just another reason to wait and see what the refresh brings.
Me too.

I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in a few years and I'm hoping Honda will address a few of the concerns I have with the new Ridgeline by the time I'm ready to buy.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
I've said it before, but think it bears repeating. The LCD screen is likely cheaper for Honda to implement in the long run (installation cost/time,, interface, replacement units etc) as opposed to knobs, yet they can charge more for it as they market it as an upscale trim item. Each screen/UI code/processor probably costs Honda $50 or less (in bulk), yet they can charge the customer upwards of $500 for the item. It would be interesting to see replacement costs from a dealer if you cracked the screen....

Honda gets great profit and marketability with the screens as opposed to just using the knobs that most of us want (actually, I want both, but would prefer knobs if I had to choose).

·
Registered
606 Posts
. Each screen/UI code/processor probably costs Honda $50 or less (in bulk), yet they can charge the customer upwards of $500 for the item. It would be interesting to see replacement costs from a dealer if you cracked the screen....

Honda gets great profit and marketability with the screens as opposed to just using the knobs that most of us want (actually, I want both, but would prefer knobs if I had to choose).
Here is the part cost, add at least 2 hours of labor at what's current shop labor cost 100/hr?

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
I would note that maybe there is glare but the larger screen has advantages too, I know since I replaced the original nav in my G1 with aftermarket (Pioneer) when the under seat DVD unit died.. The Pioneer has more features but is smaller and that drives me and my old eyes nuts.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
It is true that CR's hugely critical review of the last-generation Civic got them to rush a substantial refresh, but CR has been complaining about the touch-screen electronics in various recent Honda vehicles (including the HR-V and Pilot) since their release, without any Honda response that I've seen.
In the end, they call the Pilot's touch-screen system "frustrating" and "a mess." Yet Honda is seemingly using the same unit in the new Ridgeline? I would have hoped they'd be more sensitive to such negative reviews and improve the system in a newly-released 2017 vehicle, but it would seem they are committed to the current electronics arrangement
Actually, I think that Honda did respond to the criticism. Perhaps by the time the negative reviews of the infotainment system were coming in, it was too late in the G2 design cycle to replace it, so instead they responded by limiting the models that got the 8 inch display. It's the same reason that we won't see that ridiculous 9 speed tranny in the Ridgeline.

I suspect that the mid gen refresh of both the Pilot and the Ridgeline will see a dramatic improvement in the system and then perhaps the in-bed audio will be available to lower trim levels as well. Or perhaps it is just wishful thinking on my part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts