Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone is going to give me crap about hitting 90K miles and not changing the coolant. I get that, but part of my thinking, right or wrong has been "if it isn't leaking its OK" - That said I'm beginning to wonder when I might experience a hose failure or something else (pump, radiator, heater core) So what's your thoughts? Do I keep running until something pops a leak? Do I change out the coolant with new and will that upset the status-quo? When have your hoses failed - should I change coolant and all hoses. What's your thinking on all of this? Thanks in advance.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,288 Posts
Since this is posted in the G1 section I'm going to guess but unsure of YMM since your profile is incomplete...

MM.jpg

About 1.5 gal come out with a drain and fill, a little more will come out with a timing belt/water pump change, which is due at or near 105k miles

YMMV :nerd:

EDIT: Honda is estimating a timing belt at 7yrs (15k per year) after the initial DnF of coolant it's supposed to be every 60k, I believe Code 5 will pop at 120k and then every 60k IIRC

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts
My timing belt was done around 150K (I think) and the water pump + tensioner was changed along with it. Last year, during the summer, I changed the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses. Honestly, the radiator hoses were perfectly fine, I changed it because I was headed to FL from NJ. The thermostat and hoses were just a precautionary need to change while i changed the coolant. The radiator was showing some signs of abuse from road debris and could see metal corrosion by the bottom end-tank.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Coolant additives decompose overtime from time and repeated temperature changes. These additives prevent corrosion and generally keep your cooling system in order. I don't doubt the ethylene glycol decomposes as well. Type 2 coolant, Honda's, is good for a long time, so 90k is far, but not stretching it by any means. Personally I'd do every 60, but you're probably good until your timing belt is due.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts