Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I bought an 06 Ridgeline with 170,000. The coolant in my overflow tank is low, but I am not overheating. It looks like I might be leaking out from the thermostat housing, so I took some simple green and cleaned the area. Now, as you can see from the pic, there is an odd colored puddle on the transmission (I believe). Before, I think there was a pool of red, and after cleaning is now this color. Any advice of what I might have going on? Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,658 Posts
Have you removed the radiator cap and checked the coolant in the radiator itself (when cool)? Is it Honda blue or strawberry milkshake colored?

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53921

It's hard for me to see the fluid and color problem you are having. Tranny fluid is red. Coolant is blue. Power Steering is colorless to strawcolored to brownish, depending on how contaminated it is.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fluid is Honda blue. The guy I bought it from said the radiator was replaced recently. I am having power steering problems as well, but could fluid for the power steering pool where mine is? My steering is hard to turn right, but feels fine turning left. I ordered a new power steering tank and plan to flush to see if it gets better, but that issue is for another thread ;-) Ha! I'm thinking this coolant thing could be my bigger problem right now than the power steering...

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Your thermostat housing does look like it is leaking. The thermostat could have been replaced with the radiator and either that is residue or gasket has failed.. Hopefully it was not replaced because it had the mikshake of death issue. Not a area where power steering fluid could be. So either someone spilled trans fluid refilling it after radiator replacement or idk.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,897 Posts
Did he say why the Radiator was replaced? SMOD Issue? If it was me I'm thinking I'd replace the Thermostat Gasket while there I'd have a spare Thermostat or atleast test the existing one while out. Look at Part 6 on Parts List Page, inexpensive starting point.

All the following threads are on Transmission/Radiator issues.

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I went to my Honda dealer to get the thermostat gasket, and they had to order it. I bought some coolant and filled the overflow, and after two drives, things are holding up for now. I'm going to need the resources listed to swap out the gasket, and hopefully it fixes the problem. We will see how it goes next week. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.