Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my coolant level is below the "min" mark on the overflow tank. I remember looking at it Saturday after getting home from the dealer and seeing it above the "min" mark. Is it normal to go down some after getting some miles on it? I haven't noticed any leaking and it kind of bothers me that it is low.

I have to take it in Saturday morning for another minor issue, so I'll ask about it then...but in the mean time, any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I keep my level at the max line and check it when it the engine is cold. The level in the reservoir will vary with the engine temperature. If your eating coolant that can be a bad thing. Check your oil on the dip stick and make sure it's not milky white colored indicating coolant is getting into oil. I seriously doubt this would happen with a new engine but good to check none the less.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that was a possibility, but haven't had a chance to check that yet. I'll check the oil when I get home tonight.

What kind of anti-freeze do you add to yours? Do you use Honda's or is it something you can pick up at Advance or Wal-Mart?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
swampler said:
I knew that was a possibility, but haven't had a chance to check that yet. I'll check the oil when I get home tonight.
What kind of anti-freeze do you add to yours? Do you use Honda's or is it something you can pick up at Advance or Wal-Mart?
I bought a jug of Honda Type-2 coolant. I have not needed to add any in my Ridge but I needed it for my Ody which uses the same stuff.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the dealer added fluid back when I first got my RL, I noticed toward the end of July that it was again below the min mark. I bought some fluid and added myself to the max mark (while hot) and I can already tell it's going down again. I'm nearly to 35000 miles, so I guess I'll have to go in and get them to pressure check it before the warranty runs out. I guess this is another issue to add to my RL problems. :mad:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I also noticed on my recent trip that the overflow tank level was below the min mark. Not sure where it was before the trip (I should have noted like I did the oil and tranny fluid). I have not seen any dripping out on garage floor and only fluid ever under the truck is condensation (clear water) from A/C.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
swampler... I posted info under that saturn thread but here it is for you again...

To your question about the coolant leak, I never found any coolant on the ground either. What made me notice the coolant leaking was that the coolant light came on but the vehicle was not over heating. I had onstar do a diagnostic on the spot and they could not find anything. I popped open the hood and saw the overflow tank was below the min. The overflow tank is much larger in the Vue then the RL. Saturn had refilled it and that lasted about a week.

You may have to have them do a dye test to find exactly where it is leaking. On my investigation I had found the coolant pooling up here. (See Pic… Black arrow. This location (on top of the transmission), may be hard for you to see in the RL due to it being so low in the engine compartment. and may be covered by the air intake and engine cover)... When they did the dye test and found the leak, it was in the upper crossover located under the intake manifold in the back. The coolant had a long way to travel to pool up in the location I had found. I think most of it "burned off/dried up" during its relocating since from time to time I would smell something funny coming through the vents.

I hope your problem is nothing more then a seal like mine. By the way when this happened, our ’06 Vue was new and only 2 months in our possession. The leak was very small and took awhile to show up.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Swampler...One additional thing to add.... They had did a pressure test and no leak was found... Only when they used the dye and ran the engine did they find the leaky seal....

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
swampler said:
Thanks, I had just got finished reading and responding to your other post!
Keep us updated on this one swampler...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just went and took a good look at the Oveflow reservoir and I had absolutely no fluid in it. I have had the truck for a year and never paid it any mind because I believed it to be just that - an overflow tank. Compared to my wife's Volvo, where the viewable coolant reservoir is higher than the radiator and the level would be representable of the actual fluid in the radiator and the hoses in and out of the reservoir are very sturdy rubber water lines with clamps on the ends, the Ridgeline has flimsy , non-clamped rubber lines and I am led to believe that this tank's water level is really not that representable to the fluid in the radiator or really that important.

I will check the actual fluid level in the radiator in the morning when it is cold and can get the pressure cap off to see if there is a water level issue to deal with, but are there any Honda mechanics out there that know the true purpose of this Ridgeline reservoir and the importance of the min and max level lines?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bill,

The reservoir is supposed to be between min and max when hot.

Now I feel like an idiot...checked my coolant level again today (hotter today and longer trip than last time I checked it) and it was full to the max line. Not sure how I screwed that one up. Oh well...:mad:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
This morning, I unscrewed the pressure cap to the radiator and the level of coolant was right up to the top - with absolutely no fluid in overflow reservoir. I topped off the overflow to max line and will monitor the level over next few days to see if it does anything when it heats up or cools down. I spoke to the Honda parts department at my dealer and he said any "green" 50% coolant/water quality antifreeze is fine to use as a topper offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts