Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Coronavirus will affect vehicle sales and what Honda might do to help?

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Sales are going to tank - at least in the short term. I can't imagine anyone buying a vehicle during the next several weeks or months of uncertainty. Like any other manufacturer, all Honda can do is scale back production and offer cash incentives and low-interest loans. There's far too much uncertainty right now to even begin to predict how this is all going to play out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Coronavirus will affect vehicle sales and what Honda might do to help?
I wouldn't want to go into the interior of a strange vehicle, brand new or used, right now. If I did, I would have to be fully protected. At a dealership you do not know who has been rummaging through a vehicle prior to your visit. It has been reported that the virus can remain on plastic and stainless steel for two to three days. I am certain that most sensible people will distance themselves from new car/truck dealers and that, of course, will hurt sales. Honda may offer special deals to boost sales...who knows.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
This feels like 9/11, Katrina all over again. It's going to get worse before it gets better. The difference is we can't see the 9/11 or Katrina. This creates unknowns and uncertainty that the media tends to fuel. As far as the disease itself, the only thing we know for sure is how many have died and how many have been hospitalized. If we could test everyone and get that data we would be more informed and probably feel better about the situation. Soon everyone will have one degree of separation from someone that tests positive. As for cars, there will be hiccups and expect to get some great deals when folks feel safe getting back to dealerships. Treasury secretary says there will be pent up demand when this is all over but I doubt for cars.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
I would think it will balance in the long run.
Meaning sales are going to tank short term, but long term, the people who were looking to buy are still going to need their new vehicle at some point.

So if they were going to sell 100 units over 4 months, 25 units a month, they will probably still sell 100 units just not 25 in the first couple of months.

This of course is a huge over simplification, but unless there target market is the people who didn't survive, or a pandemic causes people to reevaluate their transportation needs it stands to reason.

Of course if people decide to stop using mass transit, car dealers could see an increase after the dust settles

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Also depends on stock market recovery. Consumer confidence has taken an about-face and is going down. A lot of folks won't be buying a new vehicle if their assets have tanked. Business closures and event cancellations are putting many people out of work and they don't have much savings to fall back on. They will make do until their financial situation improves and stabilizes. I would not want to own or work at a car dealership right now...except for maybe being a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This feels like 9/11, Katrina all over again. It's going to get worse before it gets better. The difference is we can't see the 9/11 or Katrina. This creates unknowns and uncertainty that the media tends to fuel. As far as the disease itself, the only thing we know for sure is how many have died and how many have been hospitalized. If we could test everyone and get that data we would be more informed and probably feel better about the situation. Soon everyone will have one degree of separation from someone that tests positive. As for cars, there will be hiccups and expect to get some great deals when folks feel safe getting back to dealerships. Treasury secretary says there will be pent up demand when this is all over but I doubt for cars.
I was driving along out in the country in my Ridgeline this morning, and thought that exactly - "It feels kind of 9/11ish". Hopefully the virus will peter out sooner than later, with fewer suffering than anticipated, and before too many people collapse financially due to not being able to work enough hours, etc.

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
I was driving along out in the country in my Ridgeline this morning, and thought that exactly - "It feels kind of 9/11ish". Hopefully the virus will peter out sooner than later, with fewer suffering than anticipated, and before too many people collapse financially due to not being able to work enough hours, etc.
Indeed. I can normally tell by the sound of traffic when it's about time to wake up in the mornings. This morning, it was quiet - similar to the eerie silence when the streets are covered in ice.

I very much remember watching the news and driving home the morning of 9/11 and seeing the long lines at gas stations, relative lack of vehicles on the roads, and silent skies.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Indeed. I can normally tell by the sound of traffic when it's about time to wake up in the mornings. This morning, it was quiet - similar to the eerie silence when the streets are covered in ice.

I very much remember watching the news and driving home the morning of 9/11 and seeing the long lines at gas stations, relative lack of vehicles on the roads, and silent skies.
Me too. I was in the air when those attacks happened, but didn't know until landing in St. Louis, where all the people in the airport were staring at the TV screens, stunned.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Las Vegas just shut down completely today. There is more to this than a virus.

I've got a meeting tomorrow at the Honda dealer. I'll let you know how they respond to my offer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In 2016 estimate of 880,000 deaths of children under 5 from pneumonia. Remember closing all bars and restaurants back then? Our society is being taken down the path of fear. A two week shut down does not make the virus disappear. State governments are deciding to bankrupt its citizens over this fear.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,738 Posts
Just back from the 30-mile drive into central Austin, TX to drop meds and a 'care package' at the front-desk of the decidedly upmarket senior living highrise where my 93 years young Mom enjoys independent living. No traffic whatsoever on that normally (even during spring break) loaded drive Monday noonish.

Glad to find the facility has instituted IMO prudent policies given the profile of the population where she lives:
  • All “non-essential” visits to resident apartments are curtailed
  • All group activities are curtailed
  • Dining rooms are closed – meals will be delivered to resident apartments
Yepper, strange days are upon us for awhile methinks.

Y'all all take care!

·
Administrator
15,012 Posts
Being an introvert has finally paid off. :) From 8-5, I'm sitting or standing at a dedicated computer and telephone in an office shared with my assistant who is on the other side of a partition. There is at most one other person in my home. I've long preferred small private parties over large public gatherings. I tend to buy in bulk, so I've usually got weeks or months of supplies. As long as the water and electricity stay on, I can keep myself busy and entertained at home for a while. My risk is below-average and I'm in good health, but I still take all reasonable precautions and will be as glad as anyone when the worst of this passes.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,738 Posts
Lol, not for me but glad to see my niece and nephew have found a way to stay 'isolated but active' this first day of their (probably to be extended) public-school spring break ....

climbing 2 reduced.png

The good things in life go on in spite of the worldly disruptions, good for them!

Being an introvert has finally paid off. :)
Feel the same way about my elected lifestyle as a 'hermit' living in rural America .... no shortage of enjoyable 'chores' on the property in spring to keep me busy as usual ;)

1 - 20 of 194 Posts