Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I looked at a RTL-E with 10,000 miles and the dealer wanted $34,700. Not a bad price, but the vehicle is 3 years old.
Not much warranty to fall back on and like you said, it's a 17.. IMO the extra for a 2020 would be worthwhile. I'm thinking that great deals will require a lot of shopping around until Honda sweetens deals.

·
Registered
299 Posts
got an email yesterday from my dealer. They are offering all paperwork online, delivery to your door, and zero payments for 90 days.
BTW, Honda has shut down all North American plants for a "week".

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,378 Posts
Carvana stock got a 40% haircut today, down from $40 to $24 a share. Their sales will be impacted as well. Very few companies are immune from the effects of this virus.

Carmax had a $499 shipping charge as late as two days ago, but they now have free shipping from/to most all locations.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Dealers want to make the car buying and service experience similar to getting take out food. They are worried (for good reason). Any deals that weren't working last week may work now. I would think there is much more room in the used market since the margins are bigger there. On the new side, it remains to be seen if Honda will eventually throw in some "funny" money despite the week furlough but there may be dealers that are desperate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
but there may be dealers that are desperate.
I know it sounds ghoulish, but that is what I am looking for. I have a 2016 F-150 I want to trade for a Ridgeline. My goal is to be either even swap (never happen) or only a few thousand more for a new or used G2 Ridgeline. KBB trade-in for my F150 is $31,500. Retail shows $35,000. Obviously i would rather have a 2020. I just don't know how low the dealers will go during all this.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
There's only one way to find out, talk to several dealers.

I'm wondering if these guys will finally work a deal over the phone. I tried like hell to do this, as there was no need for me to sit at a dealer for hours but I wasn't so lucky.

Of course they will all want to bring your trade in 'around back' to have the mechanic look it over.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
^ And probably drive the truck too...
Yes and no. You only need to test drive the truck once. Not at every dealer.

I had a 2017, when I traded it in for my 2020, the color I wanted was on their overflow lot. The first time I saw it, I had already owned it.
I did, however made it clear that if anything was wrong, the deal was off. It all worked out fine.

I get that a lot of people wouldn't buy a vehicle without driving it first, but based on what I read, I didn't expect the 2020 to drive any differently than the 2017.
I was right, maybe lucky, but the process of buying a car is ridiculously long and I was doing all I could to expedite it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
the process of buying a car is ridiculously long
Couldn't agree with you more. That is why I try to do everything with dealers over email so I don't even have to speak to them. I know I am not good at haggling and, as a result, I stay away.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
DriveAllNight said:
I'm wondering if these guys will finally work a deal over the phone. I tried like hell to do this, as there was no need for me to sit at a dealer for hours but I wasn't so lucky.
Have never purchased in person or over phone. All of more than 20 Hondas or all models last several years were done via email only. Once prices were confirmed, emailed over documents and picked up keys. Almost zero conversation even at that point apart from Sign here, here, here and handing over cash or credit card (always good to max our credit cards for 3.75% bonus plus new cards with up to 500 bonus cash from bank). As to occasionally handing over a trade, never disclosed that until very last moment and sent someone else to show car to used car manager who now has to report back to sales group and are unable to hide true credit given for trade since all the numbers were already down in a quote.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
Have never purchased in person or over phone. All of more than 20 Hondas or all models last several years were done via email only. Once prices were confirmed, emailed over documents and picked up keys. Almost zero conversation even at that point apart from Sign here, here, here and handing over cash or credit card (always good to max our credit cards for 3.75% bonus plus new cards with up to 500 bonus cash from bank). As to occasionally handing over a trade, never disclosed that until very last moment and sent someone else to show car to used car manager who now has to report back to sales group and are unable to hide true credit given for trade since all the numbers were already down in a quote.
You may just be my new hero. I've never thought about email negotiations, nor did I think they would entertain them.
.. The more you know

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You may just be my new hero. I've never thought about email negotiations, nor did I think they would entertain them.
.. The more you know
That's a great process. Especially like the last-minute trade tactic; they always try to hide $ in the smoke they create.

My wife's process is to agree on a color, then send me in. However this last time (November), thanks mostly to this group, I knew what the RTL was selling for all over the country, and it cut the BS timeframe waaaay down. "Look, I know what they're selling for, and if you can give me market price, I'm ready to go."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
My 2007 Honda was totally by email. Prior to the Corona hitting I was just about to do something similar (but better) for a Camry for my wife. This site showed me an even better way.

Summarizing
  1. Find best deal you can online
  2. Toward end month check dealer inventory for the car you are looking for
  3. A few days before end of month contact 5-6 dealers (phone or email) telling them you are taking offers
  4. Get offers and go back to same group telling them the best price you got offering them one more chance to beat it
The link supplied will go in to more depth. It explains how dealer pricing really works.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
My 2007 Honda was totally by email. Prior to the Corona hitting I was just about to do something similar (but better) for a Camry for my wife. This site showed me an even better way.

Summarizing
  1. Find best deal you can online
  2. Toward end month check dealer inventory for the car you are looking for
  3. A few days before end of month contact 5-6 dealers (phone or email) telling them you are taking offers
  4. Get offers and go back to same group telling them the best price you got offering them one more chance to beat it
The link supplied will go in to more depth. It explains how dealer pricing really works.
I tried that at the end of December. I emailed four different dealers and never heard back from any of them. Texted one and got a response, but no deal. After 2-3 days, finally resorted to calling several times and finally one called back. Worked a deal over the phone after several back-n-forths. The next day one of the other dealers finally called back.

A friend that had just been through the buying process told me that most dealers were pretty unresponsive until you actually set foot in the lot. Too many "looky-Lous" electronically kicking the tires, so to speak, to waste their time otherwise.

Of course, that's probably all changed now with COVID-19.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Coronavirus is certainly impacting gas prices. I have a tankful of cheap gas and nowhere to go. I read where a BP station in London, KY lowered their price to 99¢ this morning and sold out quickly.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Around here, the last fill up a few days ago was around $2.31 and about 2 weeks before that about $2.54. These are some of the biggest oil moves in history, just shows how slow price is to go down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
A friend that had just been through the buying process told me that most dealers were pretty unresponsive until you actually set foot in the lot
that was not my experience in 2007. I made it clear I would be buying upon the end of the reverse auction (?) and paying cash. I would be bringing a pre-filled out check for the agreed upon price. Everyone I emailed responded. Only issue I had is one salesman kept wanting to call me. I told them all discussions would be over email until the auction ended.
I would thinking calling their internet sales manager would be better than emailing. I just did not want to get the whole salesman schpeel.

41 - 60 of 194 Posts