Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Maybe not for a RL but if price levels move together there should be some huge savings on the full sizers. Manufacturers got to make some moves sooner or later. I know that a resume date would be nice but anything between 5/15 and 6/1 is a good guess IMO.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
I started floating the idea of picking up a 2019 RTL or 2020 RTL-E from a few local dealers. They are all but giving me the 2019 and are still holding firm on the 2020. If only I could get pas the lack of features on the 2019 compared to my 2017 Accord EX-L. The thrill of the hunt is part of the game.
That's the general state of RL sales right now: why should there be incentives on the 2020s when dealers still have 2019 stock they need to turn? Before I got my 2020 I went to two Honda dealers close by, both of them had a combined total of 9 2019s in their back lots, mostly 2WD Sport and RTL, and zero 2020s other than one demo sitting out front. My broker says that Honda dealers, at least in the Rocky Mountain region, are cutting back the numbers they are getting from Alabama to customer orders only, and this will end soon as the last March builds trickle out of the shuttered plant and into dealerships. He also verified when I asked if there any incentives, and he said not on 2020s, but that if I wanted a "lot-sitter" 2019 there were quite a few very good ones.

Plus remember RL's productions numbers are relatively low compared to other makes, only about 40K to North America in a normal production year, so divide that by 3 and you get an (approximate) idea of how many 2020s were built from January to March 23rd, when the Alabama plant shut down. I am guessing around 13,000. And that could be it for 2020 because Honda has not set a firm date to resume production in all of its NA plants.

Good article on the used market. Not a good time to be trading in.
Depends on the car and demand. I got $12K trade on a 2012 Acura TL AWD Tech for my RTL-E. While the car was very clean with fairly low miles (60K) it had documented oil consumption issues and extensive (and expertly repaired) exterior only hail damage. While my broker was compiling bids on trade value, I checked every used car app and found only 1 2012 and 2 2013 AWDs for sale in a 250 mile radius, and all were much higher, 90K+ mileage. Also got a cash-now quote range of $10.8 to $12.7K.

However, there was a glut of used front wheel drive TLs, nearly 25 of them, so I expect that trade value to be much less than AWDs.

That's why I jumped when he said the high bidder was $12K. A very fair offer for a high demand car.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
My broker says that Honda dealers, at least in the Rocky Mountain region, are cutting back the numbers they are getting from Alabama to customer orders only, and this will end soon as the last March builds trickle out of the shuttered plant and into dealerships.
Two things I haven't heard before, Honda taking customer orders and using a broker. Who is the "customer" you are referring to, the dealer or the end consumer?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
Two things I haven't heard before, Honda taking customer orders and using a broker. Who is the "customer" you are referring to, the dealer or the end consumer?
First, I am talking end consumer, one can contact Honda dealers to check incoming inventories, and (I don't know if it involves a deposit) can reserve one if they wish.

A good example when MINI Coopers arrived on the scene in 2002: my first one in 2004 I built and ordered one through the MINI Dealer (took 9 months to arrive, due to extremely high demand and low build inventory, including a 3-week transit from Oxford UK to my dealership). $500 refundable deposit to do so.

When I talk "broker" that is a 3rd party, non-commissioned car sales entity involving one person that handles everything, used or new, including locating and demoing your chosen vehicle, getting multiple financing quotes and trade bids, and delivery. My broker charges a 1% fee of the lowest agreed price, not including taxes, title fee, etc. for this service. No prep, doc, or other fees associated with dealerships, including no hardcore high pressure finance department badgering for add-ons and ripoff third party service contracts.

I have been doing this for almost 13 years, and would never go back to a dealership again. And I used to sell cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Honda has furloughed 16,900 hourly workers - about 73% of their manufacturing staff. Now, they're furloughing the majority of salaried workers as well
I guess the obvious question is for how long? That is a shame for all the people who have been impacted by this. It seems like auto sales would be down far more than 55% for the first two weeks of April. I have seen figures that restaurant business is down about 25% - how could that figure even be near correct, when only a handful of people order take out? It seems like restaurant business should be down more in the neighborhood of 80%.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
I see a lot of pizza delivery drivers. I see more traffic in drive-thrus. I see more contract food delivery drivers. I see more in-house delivery. I see more curb-side pickup.

Some restaurants have turned into makeshift grocery stores and bakeries

I don't eat out much, but the kitchens in the few places I've been in the last few weeks seem as busy as ever - if not busier. There's one small Thai restaurant that's so busy they started using their dining area as a storage room for rice, noodles, and other ingredients.

They don't have to pay hosts and waitstaff. They don't have to clean their dining areas. They don't have to run as much lighting and HVAC with the dining areas closed.

All this makes me suspect most restaurants are doing just dandy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see a lot of pizza delivery drivers. I see more traffic in drive-thrus. I see more contract food delivery drivers. I see more in-house delivery. I see more curb-side pickup.

Some restaurants have turned into makeshift grocery stores and bakeries

I don't eat out much, but the kitchens in the few places I've been in the last few weeks seem as busy as ever - if not busier. There's one small Thai restaurant that's so busy they started using their dining area as a storage room for rice, noodles, and other ingredients.

They don't have to pay hosts and waitstaff. They don't have to clean their dining areas. They don't have to run as much lighting and HVAC with the dining areas closed.

All this makes me suspect most restaurants are doing just dandy.
Lower end restaurants are doing great. Higher end ones are closing for good. This will certainly change the business for a long time.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I can't even get Chinese food in my town, all 3 local places are closed for over a month now. Here in Saratoga county, NY we are going to be in it for the long haul really can't complain though, the family is together and safe. Ventured over to Walmart today and had to wear a mask (mandatory tomorrow). Didn't work too well, fogged up my glasses so had to walk through without glasses on. The drill is getting old, buy groceries and throw the refrigerated items on the first section of the tonneau. Wipe with a disinfectant wipe move to the second section of the tonneau. Let dry and then off to the freezer. Rest of the stuff stays in the garage for 3 days. Try to do this as little as possible.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Ventured over to Walmart today and had to wear a mask (mandatory tomorrow). Didn't work too well, fogged up my glasses so had to walk through without glasses on.
That probably means that most of your respirations were bypassing the filter media. That seems to be the case with many homemade masks and even commercial masks that aren't properly designed or adjusted. I inserted malleable metal strips into the upper hem of the masks I've been sewing that can be adjusted to conform to the nose to reduce air leakage.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,131 Posts
I've used masks for years doing construction. I don't care how well engineered your think you mask is. You will fight with fogging up your glasses if you are wearing one.
Put your glasses as far out on your nose as you can and fogging won't be as much of an issue.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well done Zroger. My mask was an N95 that I had left over from home improvement, glasses have always fogged up and in the past I cheated by leaving my nose exposed. Can't do that now. I'll try the glasses forward thing or try a bandana or even better, have the bride do the shopping.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Well, I did a thing today. I picked up a 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman crew cab 4x4 with the 6.4L Hemi, American Axles (11.5“/10.5”), Off-road package and a few other options that will make my work life easier. All said and done for $41k out the door.

I’ve been shopping Ridgelines for a while now and just couldn’t pull the trigger. I really wanted it to work as it checks most of the boxes most of the time. Unfortunately, the boxes it doesn’t check are too difficult to ignore. I routinely travel to remote off road locations and the lack of 4WD / low range is not an option. Getting stuck is NOT an option.

I still love the Ridgeline and will be lurking and learning. Best of luck to everyone and stay safe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
View attachment 401441

Well, I did a thing today. I picked up a 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman crew cab 4x4 with the 6.4L Hemi, Dana 60 axles, Off-road package and a few other options that will make my work life easier. All said and done for $41k out the door.

I’ve been shopping Ridgelines for a while now and just couldn’t pull the trigger. I really wanted it to work as it checks most of the boxes most of the time. Unfortunately, the boxes it doesn’t check are too difficult to ignore. I routinely travel to remote off road locations and the lack of 4WD / low range is not an option. Getting stuck is NOT an option.

I still love the Ridgeline and will be lurking and learning. Best of luck to everyone and stay safe.
Congrats on the new truck. I picked up my Ridgeline yesterday. Been shopping and comparing for two years. The Ridgeline is everything I want and nothing I don't. For me it's perfect. I specifically wanted the 2019 Sport AWD and got a great deal on it...about $8000 off MSRP. I hate safety nannies, I hate auto stop-start, I don't want leather, hate sunroofs, have no need for a sliding rear window, etc. I just wanted crew cab, remote start, keyless start, and AWD. I never go off road, but I live in a rural area and while we don't have bad weather much here in Tennessee, when we do it paralyzes us as we don't have the snow removal equipment to get the roads clear. My driveway is up hill to get out to the road, so the AWD will come in handy a couple times a year as well as when it rains heavily.

I don't tow. I don't haul anything heavier than a 500lb motorcycle. I mostly use my truck for commuting to work where it needs to fit in tight parking garages. I think Honda nailed my needs exactly. My only wish is that Honda wouldn't make the front end look like a minivan. If I wasn't so confident in my masculinity, I wouldn't be able to drive a Ridgeline. LOL!

·
Registered
137 Posts
View attachment 401441

Well, I did a thing today. I picked up a 2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman crew cab 4x4 with the 6.4L Hemi, American Axles (11.5“/10.5”), Off-road package and a few other options that will make my work life easier. All said and done for $41k out the door.

The 6.4 is a great motor. I have it in my Challenger and wish they would make it an option for the 1500.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts