Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I had thought prices might rise after the Coronavirus passes, but I was reading something today that the new car market was in trouble before this hit and will be slow to recover even after the virus passes and factories restart. Good deals might extend to later in the year.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
71 Posts
U shaped recovery. Biggest hit will be for businesses under 50 people. Large public (think stock) companies are actually reaping benefits, buy backs, lower manpower costs and plant costs. Reduced stocking charges etc. they have already been at the trough actually cleaned it out b/4 small outfits has a chance. Biggest hurt, the folks that make 8 to 12 bucks an hour. A bill in the house would create $2000.00 per person per month for 6 months which would help long as your bills are lower than that. Gov. is printing money like mad, I fear the price tag. Not political but we have a defcom system what happened to the rudimentary "Germcom" set up 7 years ago. This Pandemic is the new norm and we are still fighting the last one. Hummm time to go stuck my head back in the sand, hope the cat hasn't visited.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
The government cannot print enough money to continue to float the economy. It has to restart or it may never. Like the pandemic being the new norm, so may be the economy.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
The government cannot print enough money to continue to float the economy. It has to restart or it may never. Like the pandemic being the new norm, so may be the economy.
This is where the politics and politicians get involved. They try to weigh the risks of boosting or re-starting the economy against prolonging the pandemic. Those are tough decisions, and many politicians rely on their staff to gather the best data to make the best decisions, while others just toe the party line. And others will do whatever they think will get them re-elected.

What will end us all first? Politicians or the internet? :rolleyes:

Btw, we are approaching 50k deaths in the U.S. now:

Nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

That article and the associated maps are updated daily.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I love what Trump has done for my stock portfolio but you can't increase spending and cut taxes. This has been going on for a long time now and it's time to walk the tightrope and balance the risks vs rewards simultaneously.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
One of the local Honda dealers has basically been frozen for weeks. Their new inventory piled up at the start of this and sales have all but stopped. They're not discounting new vehicles. They're discounting use vehicles some. They don't want your trade-in right now. They're functioning as a new and used car storage facility and are relying on service income.

Another dealer is trying to get rid of their new inventory and focus on used-for-used transactions and service.

Dealers seem to be throwing spaghetti on the walls right now - they're all trying something different to see what sticks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One of the local Honda dealers has basically been frozen for weeks. Their new inventory piled up at the start of this and sales have all but stopped. They're not discounting new vehicles. They're discounting use vehicles some. They don't want your trade-in right now. They're functioning as a new and used car storage facility and are relying on service income.

Another dealer is trying to get rid of their new inventory and focus on used-for-used transactions and service.

Dealers seem to be throwing spaghetti on the walls right now - they're all trying something different to see what sticks.
I'm finding the same. Some dealers with barely any cars and they're willing to discount them like crazy. So they must be selling all they can even with basically no profit.

Some quotes other dealers will call me up and say they can't even come close.

Other dealers are just piling up in overflow lots. One I saw was a grass field full of Hondas.

The quotes I'm getting are totally polarized, but the majority are trying to make too much in my opinion, I understand but...

I did get one amazing quote on a 19. May jump on that one. Has 100 miles and I usually have a hard rule nothing over 50 if it wasn't transferred.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I'm finding the same. Some dealers with barely any cars and they're willing to discount them like crazy. So they must be selling all they can even with basically no profit.

Some quotes other dealers will call me up and say they can't even come close.

Other dealers are just piling up in overflow lots. One I saw was a grass field full of Hondas.

The quotes I'm getting are totally polarized, but the majority are trying to make too much in my opinion, I understand but...

I did get one amazing quote on a 19. May jump on that one. Has 100 miles and I usually have a hard rule nothing over 50 if it wasn't transferred.
Interesting development as this coronavirus thing continues

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Yesterday after my post, this dealer started advertising discounts on new Hondas. 2020 Ridgelines are being advertised at 7.5% off MSRP.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Right after I posted this yesterday, Honda announced that the shutdown has now been extended again - this time until 1-May. That's nearly six weeks of zero Honda production in the US and Canada. Unreal.
Yesterday, Honda extended their shutdown yet again. The latest re-open date is now 9-May - almost 7 weeks with zero production.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
88 Posts
Yesterday after my post, this dealer started advertising discounts on new Hondas. 2020 Ridgelines are being advertised at 7.5% off MSRP.
That sounds like a lot, but just writing the local dealers I was able to get 11% ($4750 off of list). The problem seems to comes with the trade.. NADA and Kelly show my ‘11 RTL / Nav, 71,500 dealer maintained miles and a Retrax Tonneau, at $13,500.. dealers are offering $11,000 and some how they eat the $1,000 loyalty promotion... Thoughts??? (I love my ‘11, but if I can get a deal...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wouldn't the factory reduction in output create a shortage down the road? Capitalism is essentially supply and demand. Any kind of reduction in availability (think toilet paper) creates a demand which then causes the perceived value to increase. I don't see the demand for Ridgelines going away just pushed back. What happens to prices then? The consumer world is about to go through something similar to the end of WWII. Factories regearing back to consumer products, reduced availability , shortages .... oh heck you get the picture. On the plus side it also creates some very good opportunities , if your prepaired.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
That sounds like a lot, but just writing the local dealers I was able to get 11% ($4750 off of list).
7.5% below MSRP is just the advertised price. I'm sure they'll take less than that. :)

Wouldn't the factory reduction in output create a shortage down the road?
I doubt it. I believe recovery will be gradual enough that the automakers will have plenty of time to ramp up production to meet demand. Right now, there's a glut of inventory.

Sure, there will be pent-up demand on the recovery side, but people won't be able to buy if they don't have a job.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I hope your right, ignoring history can be a bitch. Sorry if I seem a bit negative but info is only worth what you do with it. Reality says that the next three months will make new millionaires and new paupers... info is the key even if the decision is about buying a truck. Gosh but this sure went sideways! ??

·
Registered
170 Posts
That sounds like a lot, but just writing the local dealers I was able to get 11% ($4750 off of list). The problem seems to comes with the trade.. NADA and Kelly show my ‘11 RTL / Nav, 71,500 dealer maintained miles and a Retrax Tonneau, at $13,500.. dealers are offering $11,000 and some how they eat the $1,000 loyalty promotion... Thoughts??? (I love my ‘11, but if I can get a deal...)

I've never seen a clean Ridgeline with only 71k miles listed for sale for less than $15,000. If I remember correctly, some end of the year deals on 2019 E models were below $35k. In a buyers market, uncertain economy, $35k - $15k = $20,000. trade difference.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
88 Posts
I've never seen a clean Ridgeline with only 71k miles listed for sale for less than $15,000. If I remember correctly, some end of the year deals on 2019 E models were below $35k. In a buyers market, uncertain economy, $35k - $15k = $20,000. trade difference.
I like the way you think! Making another run at it tomorrow!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,307 Posts
I found and contacted six dealers last week and only found one that was ready to "move metal". Prices have remained pretty firm at 38,500 or higher. Surprising part was the RTL-E I bought was made this March, so inventory tax was not the issue. Also, the used car market is a bit flooded now so prices are a bit lower. That said, I was able to negotiate a trade of $29,000 on my 2017 Ram, which was a bit on the lower KBB value, but with the tax savings that bumped me to $31,000 which was very fair considering I bought the 2020 for $6,689 below sticker.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts