Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not to be that guy, but I dont understand the love affair for Optima batteries. Unless you have a ton of electronics, its over priced over kill. You can get an Interstate for a fraction of an Optima, and have equal life and performance.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Interstate at Costco. Steal :act035:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Put in a 24F. It will fit fine (it's the biggest that you can fit in a Ridgeline), likely won't need any adapter, and will have more reserve capacity.

If you do a lot of short trips, I also recommend an AGM battery, such as the Optima, Orbital, or new new favourite, Northstar.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I recent bought a Bosch battery from Pep Boys. If you put the truck details into the website it provides the correct size for the truck. I went with Bosch as a sought a good quality brand. Some of the brands offered I wasn't to keen on and a Sears battery cost more; I bought the battery on sale. It fit perfect.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
"Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.
Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).
Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.
Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Daimler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls."
Another list here

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,598 Posts
I recent bought a Bosch battery from Pep Boys. If you put the truck details into the website it provides the correct size for the truck. I went with Bosch as a sought a good quality brand. Some of the brands offered I wasn't to keen on and a Sears battery cost more; I bought the battery on sale. It fit perfect.
FYI, There are essentially only three (actually probably four if Optima actually makes their own batteries) battery manufacturers in the US. Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls. Your "Bosch" battery is made by one of these three and is essentially identical to any number of other batteries made by that supplier but branded under different names.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
24F is the group size specified for Ridgeline.
I don't think that's correct. The 35 size is the one that comes stock on the RL. I have been putting 24F's in mine since I've had my truck as they typically have more CCA's and reserve capacity than the 35's. I had bad luck with a couple of "normal" lead acid batteries before switching to an Autocraft Platinum AGM about 18 months ago. Best decision I've ever made. The truck starts faster and the battery charges much faster, too. It's also really strong in the really cold temps we get here in the winter.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I don't think that's correct. The 35 size is the one that comes stock on the RL. I have been putting 24F's in mine since I've had my truck as they typically have more CCA's and reserve capacity than the 35's. I had bad luck with a couple of "normal" lead acid batteries before switching to an Autocraft Platinum AGM about 18 months ago. Best decision I've ever made. The truck starts faster and the battery charges much faster, too. It's also really strong in the really cold temps we get here in the winter.
You're not often wrong Ian... but I'm thinking you might be this time, unless Honda has changed their "stock" battery call out somewhere along the line. Battery specified here (& on various battery mfg's listings) is 24F.... which would explain why it is working so well for you :) . This is the official Honda parts list for 2006 Ridgeline (source Bernardiparts.com):

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
Oh, I'm the first one to admit when I'm wrong. And, it appears that this time I am wrong. When I bought my truck, it had a size 35 Interstate battery in it. The specs were not very good for colder weather, but it never needed a really strong battery as it spent the first three years of its life in Florida. I always thought the 24F change was an "upgrade" to factory spec. Just goes to show that even after nearly six years and 7000 posts on this forum, I never cease to learn something new from this forum!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts