Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
While it's a good laptop with good specs. There are cheaper ones that will do the job of course. The price isn't that great IMO but if you like it go for it.

Steve who uses a $25 laptop from a garage sale that was broken by wine spilling in the keyboard and onto the motherboard. Cleaned it up and added memory (now 6gb) and a SSD drive and it's been fine for over 5 years. Oh and added a faster CPU chip to it too along the way and got the free edition of Windows 10 when they offered it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
It is probably overkill for most users.

The dvd is old technology - most newer laptops don't even offer one and really don't need them as USB 3.0 ports and flash disks have replaced them, just like CD's and DVD's replaced floppy disks.

the graphics is for gamers - if all you do is surf the internet and use the browser - this is way too much computer.

I use an i5 cpu - 16gb of ram and a 512 gb SSD.

There are plenty of used Dell 7480 and 7490 computers on E-bay that are better buys - they were $2500 new and can be had for under $500 for the 7490 and under $200 for a 7480. Only get the ones that have Full High Def display - the others are junk displays and have poor color. FHD is1920x1080 - like the 1080P TV sets. More than enough power to watch TV from the internet. 8GB is the smallest I would get today with Windows 10 Pro.

If you liked XP or Vista better than 8 or 10 - you might go for Linux with MATE desktop. It looks like Windows XP to the user. you can go to Gecko Linux and download a MATE image and see for yourself. It will run off either a DVD or a 8 gb Flash Drive.

I hate all the store bought laptops because they are full of beg-ware and trial products that need to be deleted. There are so many free programs that are as good or better than the paid for ones.
VLC for pictures and movies
LibreOffice - for 95% of people this is as good as Microsoft Office and is compatable
Firefox and Chromium for browsing
Thunderbird for mail.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are plenty of used Dell 7480 and 7490 computers on E-bay that are better buys - they were $2500 new and can be had for under $500 for the 7490 and under $200 for a 7480. Only get the ones that have Full High Def display - the others are junk displays and have poor color.
As a Latitude owner (older E6530 model still serving well) I don't disagree with any of that, but if the OP has his heart set on a huge 17.3" display, none of the Latitude / business line offers a display that big.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have a laptop that big, but hey, to each his own (maybe big-screen is a 'gamer' thing?). When on the desktop I use an external monitor (two, actually) driven by my 'relatively carry-friendly' 15.6" FHD Latitude's internal Nvidea graphics card.

@henni, ^ that's a hint for your consideration … think about your intended use habits and make sure you really want a display that big for your "laptop" … trust me, those display inches really add-up as computer footprint and make a big (pardon the pun), not always welcome, difference in both carry-convenience and the "laptop" balancing act if you intend to use it as a frequent travelling companion.

Happy shopping!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
CentexG2
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing