Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a copy of a Vehicle Safety Complaint that I have just sumitted to the NHTSA.
I'm not going to dik around the dealer then Honda, then who knows who. I couldn't go anywhere, I couldn't get it towed, I was basially fckd. I am a "geriactric" motorhead and know what i am doing but this was a suk situation. Thanks to the young Mexican/Latino that took the time to help me out.
I would recommend to members to not just "jam" the hose in and think that nothing can happen, well it just did, to me.From now on, I will put in in just far enough to activate what it needs to let the gas flow, but unless there is a fix provided, there is NO Way that the pump fill spout goes in all the way (yeah, there will be a wise ass to hop on that statement, haha)

My Complaint:
On 06/05/20, 15:37 I fueled my Ridgeline at Raceway # 6953 in Alachua, Fl 32616, Pump 1. When it came time to remove the fuel pump nozzle from the capless fill spout, it would not come out! I tried for a few minutes to no avail when the young guy who was at the next pump was observing my situation. He came over and tried with no luck to remove it. Fortunately he had a flathead screwdriver with him. It took him a few minutes of prying the cap at the mouth of the fill spout upwards also turning the fuel pump nozzle side to side. We finally turned the fuel pump nozzle 180 degrees and were able to free the pump nozzle from the fill spout on the Honda. This was not a good situation to be in nor was it safe to be prying with a screwdriver on the metal fill spout cover at the the mouth of a full tank of gas! I would appreciate that Honda will provide me and other owners with a fix for fueling our trucks, so that this does not ever happen again. Obviously the truck was stationary as you requested to be stated with this complaint.
My guess, their was/is a problem with the fill spout cap and the spring on the fuel pump nozzle.
It seems like there is a miscalculation by Honda or the fuel pump mfg. or both
Regards,
XXX XXXXXX

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
I'm going to assume that you have a 2017-2020 Ridgeline, or a 2G/G2, as the 1G/G1 did not have capless fill on the fuel tank?

Moderator Note: Thread Moved

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did the nozzle look like this? I have had the spring on these nozzles get lodged in there and require finesse to remove. My solution is not to insert the nozzle too deep.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Non-issue here.....I think capless fillers are handy as a pocket on a shirt.
Yep, i do too, I just posted my experience for you guys to keep in the back of your mind that there is at least one pump nozzle in this world that is waiting to lock on to fuel pump nozzle and not want to let you go. It's not fun, trust me

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did you register a complaint with whatever Florida agency that oversees refueling station pumps/equipment? Could be a damaged nozzle. Kinda hard for Honda to maintain fuel nozzles and how they are inserted. Maybe there is some young whippersnapper Ralph Nader type that NHTSA can assign the case to. That’ll likely bring Honda to it’s knees.

·
Administrator
14,923 Posts
yes,
for the price of this vehicle it should not be an issue, not to mention a possible safety issue, lets see if i stir anything up at the NHTSA
Non-issue here.....I think capless fillers are handy as a pocket on a shirt.
Me, three. After a run of several vehicles with capless fillers, I'm still reacclimating to my 2020 CX-5's "old school" screw cap.

I had a dispenser nozzle get stuck in a fuel filler years ago - it was the spring on the nozzle and the vehicle did not have a capless filler.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have noticed that some fuel stations are changing pump nozzles to a type that has a pressure interlock to prevent dispense of fuel unless pressure is constant at the nozzle to the vehicle’s capped or cap less fill neck.

I believe it’s only a safety feature as it’s preventing idiots from removing the nozzle while pumping fuel. It’s nearly impossible to idiot proof something while maintaining its fuctiona

Not being able to remove the fuel ⛽ nozzle would probably not be Safety Issue and rather a manufacturing TSB. Troubleshooting would be more difficult due to the fact that not all fuel nozzles are the same, making comparisons more time consuming and thus “could not duplicate symptoms” at dealer service centers.

I appreciate the heads up & hope others who experience this problem post their thoughts and info they can share about getting themselves out of this situation for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't help but wonder if you were having a bad day, maybe any argument with someone or something, and took it out on the fuel nozzle by ramming it hard into the neck. I am 70 years old and pretty much traveled all my working years and never had a nozzle get stuck in one of my vehicles including my Ridgeline. Like said above it sounds like you stuck it in hard enough to get the spring lodged into your filler neck.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
There were posts about this years ago. The RL is the first capless vehicle I've owned and it's not always easy to get the nozzle out. Not to mention how flimsy and cheap the fuel neck feels. It definitely has a lot of play and doesn't feel securely bolted tight.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
It is too bad that people are so lazy that Manufactures had to resort to capless fuel fillers as too many people failed to put the cap back.
I look at the fuel filler and will not buy the vehicle unless I can put a removable filler cap instead.
Capless fuel fillers, like turbo charged engine, are on my Never Buy It ever list.
If you are going to need more horsepower use a supercharger - no lag there like a turbo.
My 2 cents - YMMV

Reactions: notme2020

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
My dad professionally trained me some 60+ years ago how to pump my own gas, and gas up a lawnmower, safely. Been gassing up and mowing my lawn ever since. Life's a beach, ain't it.🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have had the nozzle resist removal, I just rotate the handle 45 degrees and that seems to do it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts