Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Thank you for taking the time do lodge your complaint! The first 2-3 fill ups with my '18 Sport were as frustrating as the experience you described. A twist cap has worked for decades, I don't see why they thought this "improvement" was needed. Guess I am just getting older and more set in my ways!

I noticed the nozzles with a spring can catch a little at the right(wrong) angle, but most stations I frequent have no spring. Regardless, I find it hard to believe you needed help getting it removed unless you jammed it in there pretty good in the first place. Also, the cap material is specifically designed not to spark, so just apply equal force to remove it, i.e. yank that f4(k3r outta there! :)

Below is a copy of a Vehicle Safety Complaint that I have just sumitted to the NHTSA.
I'm not going to dik around the dealer then Honda, then who knows who. I couldn't go anywhere, I couldn't get it towed, I was basially fckd. I am a "geriactric" motorhead and know what i am doing but this was a suk situation. Thanks to the young Mexican/Latino that took the time to help me out.
I would recommend to members to not just "jam" the hose in and think that nothing can happen, well it just did, to me.From now on, I will put in in just far enough to activate what it needs to let the gas flow, but unless there is a fix provided, there is NO Way that the pump fill spout goes in all the way (yeah, there will be a wise ass to hop on that statement, haha)

My Complaint:
On 06/05/20, 15:37 I fueled my Ridgeline at Raceway # 6953 in Alachua, Fl 32616, Pump 1. When it came time to remove the fuel pump nozzle from the capless fill spout, it would not come out! I tried for a few minutes to no avail when the young guy who was at the next pump was observing my situation. He came over and tried with no luck to remove it. Fortunately he had a flathead screwdriver with him. It took him a few minutes of prying the cap at the mouth of the fill spout upwards also turning the fuel pump nozzle side to side. We finally turned the fuel pump nozzle 180 degrees and were able to free the pump nozzle from the fill spout on the Honda. This was not a good situation to be in nor was it safe to be prying with a screwdriver on the metal fill spout cover at the the mouth of a full tank of gas! I would appreciate that Honda will provide me and other owners with a fix for fueling our trucks, so that this does not ever happen again. Obviously the truck was stationary as you requested to be stated with this complaint.
My guess, their was/is a problem with the fill spout cap and the spring on the fuel pump nozzle.
It seems like there is a miscalculation by Honda or the fuel pump mfg. or both
Regards,
XXX XXXXXX

I have 2019 T Ridgeline & experienced same issue at Sam’s Club. I’m 70, a disabled combat vet & did not have my head inserted. My issue was with a nozzle with spring attached. Nozzle wouldn’t stay inserted until I caught first spring on capless filler. It took a few minutes to release while next in line glared at old guy with cane (who glared back). My solution was 180* inversion of nozzle, some choice words, and a swift tug. Since I have been very aware of insertion and experienced only minor snags. IMO it is unintended consequence of capless design easily remedied through experience. I wouldn’t advise holding one’s breath waiting on gubmint to give a rat’s ass. Remember, gubmint begins with 3 letters: C Y A. Besides, most still enjoying extended vacations with full pay & Benes thanks to China flu over-reaction. Small potatoes ~ improvise, adapt, overcome. G’day.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I can't help but wonder if you were having a bad day, maybe any argument with someone or something, and took it out on the fuel nozzle by ramming it hard into the neck. I am 70 years old and pretty much traveled all my working years and never had a nozzle get stuck in one of my vehicles including my Ridgeline. Like said above it sounds like you stuck it in hard enough to get the spring lodged into your filler neck.
not a bad day until i couldn't leave the gas pump.
I can't help but wonder if you were having a bad day, maybe any argument with someone or something, and took it out on the fuel nozzle by ramming it hard into the neck. I am 70 years old and pretty much traveled all my working years and never had a nozzle get stuck in one of my vehicles including my Ridgeline. Like said above it sounds like you stuck it in hard enough to get the spring lodged into your filler neck.
Nope, I said, "I would recommend to members to not just "jam" the hose in and think that nothing can happen, well it just did, to me" maybe not correct words but then i am 2 years up ya buddy. And I also said, " I just posted my experience for you guys to keep in the back of your mind that there is at least one pump nozzle in this world that is waiting to lock on to fuel pump nozzle and not want to let you go. It's not fun, trust me" Like I said, pal, there was a problem, if you don't want to read about, stuff it.

Below is a copy of a Vehicle Safety Complaint that I have just sumitted to the NHTSA.
I'm not going to dik around the dealer then Honda, then who knows who. I couldn't go anywhere, I couldn't get it towed, I was basially fckd. I am a "geriactric" motorhead and know what i am doing but this was a suk situation. Thanks to the young Mexican/Latino that took the time to help me out.
I would recommend to members to not just "jam" the hose in and think that nothing can happen, well it just did, to me.From now on, I will put in in just far enough to activate what it needs to let the gas flow, but unless there is a fix provided, there is NO Way that the pump fill spout goes in all the way (yeah, there will be a wise ass to hop on that statement, haha)

My Complaint:
On 06/05/20, 15:37 I fueled my Ridgeline at Raceway # 6953 in Alachua, Fl 32616, Pump 1. When it came time to remove the fuel pump nozzle from the capless fill spout, it would not come out! I tried for a few minutes to no avail when the young guy who was at the next pump was observing my situation. He came over and tried with no luck to remove it. Fortunately he had a flathead screwdriver with him. It took him a few minutes of prying the cap at the mouth of the fill spout upwards also turning the fuel pump nozzle side to side. We finally turned the fuel pump nozzle 180 degrees and were able to free the pump nozzle from the fill spout on the Honda. This was not a good situation to be in nor was it safe to be prying with a screwdriver on the metal fill spout cover at the the mouth of a full tank of gas! I would appreciate that Honda will provide me and other owners with a fix for fueling our trucks, so that this does not ever happen again. Obviously the truck was stationary as you requested to be stated with this complaint.
My guess, their was/is a problem with the fill spout cap and the spring on the fuel pump nozzle.
Regards,
XXX XXXXXX

TMZ Thanks for the post. Being a new owner 2019 Ridgeline Sport this is good to know. Picked up this truck three weeks ago. First cap less vehicle.
As for the Smart Ass comment: you could just cut the hose about 3 Ft and drive around like some others do.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
How many times have you refueled that vehicle before? Has it ever happened before? If not, maybe it's the nozzle and not the vehicle.
22,000 miles worth of fill ups
it probably is the nozzle, and as I said, I posted my experience to give a heads up on that experince so that others would be aware and to be more alert to such a mundane and everyday life thing.
but, it seems that there are some on here as there is everywhere that want to take my message apart, lecture, etc
I say to them, ..... no i don't say to them, but for those of you that would like to gain from my experience with the Ridgeline welcome to read my posts, if not just don't read them, and for cripes sake don't try to lecture me, I just may get upset, haha.

odellkevin, thanks for your take on the situation, the station is at raceway alachua exit off 75, pump 1
if you are over this way beware. haha

I have 2019 T Ridgeline & experienced same issue at Sam’s Club. I’m 70, a disabled combat vet & did not have my head inserted. My issue was with a nozzle with spring attached. Nozzle wouldn’t stay inserted until I caught first spring on capless filler. It took a few minutes to release while next in line glared at old guy with cane (who glared back). My solution was 180* inversion of nozzle, some choice words, and a swift tug. Since I have been very aware of insertion and experienced only minor snags. IMO it is unintended consequence of capless design easily remedied through experience. I wouldn’t advise holding one’s breath waiting on gubmint to give a rat’s ass. Remember, gubmint begins with 3 letters: C Y A. Besides, most still enjoying extended vacations with full pay & Benes thanks to China flu over-reaction. Small potatoes ~ improvise, adapt, overcome. G’day.
TMZ Thanks for the post. Being a new owner 2019 Ridgeline Sport this is good to know. Picked up this truck three weeks ago. First cap less vehicle.
As for the Smart Ass comment: you could just cut the hose about 3 Ft and drive around like some others do.
yeah, reminds me of a forum i belong to in thailand, it is just full of wise ass sarcastic losers just waiting to put somebody down, i wish they would all just stay at their keyboards in their underwhere and do what they do best, hahaha.
best of luck in your new rig.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Prev
Next

H
HRL383
Registered

Joined 2 mo ago
190 Posts
#21 4 d ago
Do they check the oil level, the tire pressure, wash the windshield? They did back when gas was $0.16/gal.👍

Show Full Signature
2017 RTL-T FWD in the West Texas Desert
Reactions:zroger73
SaveShare
Reply Quote

S
Solo
Registered

2019 Sport Lunar Silver
Joined 6 mo ago
151 Posts
#22 4 d ago
wjfyfe said:
It was only temporarily suspended due to the Covid outbreak, (why, I still do not understand?), it has since been returned to attended service only.

Bill
My understanding is the fire marshal believes it's safer to have attendants pump. Several years ago they began to allow motorcycles to pump their own. Technically, the attendant has to hand you the nozzle, & take it from you when you're done.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

W
wjfyfe
Registered

Joined May 4, 2019
1,077 Posts
#23 4 d ago
Solo said:
My understanding is the fire marshal believes it's safer to have attendants pump. Several years ago they began to allow motorcycles to pump their own. Technically, the attendant has to hand you the nozzle, & take it from you when you're done.
Yep, we can pump our own fuel into our motorcycles and our diesel vehicles. Top three reasons for this are:
  1. Safety – As a class 1 flammable liquid, some basic safety procedures should be followed. Since a cashier can’t watch all the pumps all the time, trained attendants are there. This also allows people to reduce personal injury or exposure to the fumes. In addition, attendants are likely to notice safety issues on a vehicle such as a low tire or faulty windshield wipers and such report to the driver to keep them safe. The law specifically mentions the weather we have in Oregon as a safety reason: the risk of slipping in the rain. Supposedly, all these benefits reduces insurance liability to the service stations.
  2. Equable Treatment of Seniors & Disabled – A senior or a disabled person my find it harder to get out of their vehicle and perform the functions of pumping their gas. Because of this they would be forced to go to a full service station and pay a premium for this service, which isn’t equitable.
  3. Jobs – This is the most commonly cited reason for continuing to employ service station attendants and is part of the statue. The cost that an attendant incurs per gallon wasn’t considered to be excessive especially since Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax. As minimum wages increase, this may change.
Bill

Show Full Signature
2019 Obsidian Blue RTL
Oregon
???

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="johnson-rod"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/133/133338.jpg?1559228818[/IMG]
johnson-rod
Registered

Joined Apr 28, 2017
493 Posts
#24 4 d ago
HRL383 said:
Do they check the oil level, the tire pressure, wash the windshield? They did back when gas was $0.16/gal.👍
No they usually just continue talking on their cell phone and smoking cigarettes.

Show Full Signature
Never give up. Never surrender.
Reactions:Danke and HRL383
SaveShare
Reply Quote

T
tmz
Registered

Joined Jan 15, 2008
397 Posts
#25 3 d ago
I sometimes go to Lakeview, OR, (tiny town in remote southeast corner of state) and pump my own gas. I think if it is the only open gas station in the county and it is after 6:00 p.m. then you can pump your own gas, or some such weird rule. Got there a little earlier once and was surprised that someone came out to pump it for me.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

H
HRL383
Registered

Joined 2 mo ago
190 Posts
#26 3 d ago
No gas after 6:00???? Wow.

Show Full Signature

SaveShare
Reply Quote

T
tmz
Registered

Joined Jan 15, 2008
397 Posts
#27 3 d ago
HRL383 said:
No gas after 6:00???? Wow.
They can be open after six, but in that town I think it closed at 7, possibly 8 at the latest. Almost missed it one time. It's about 50 miles down to the next town in CA, but gas is much cheaper in OR.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Danke"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/5/5669.jpg?1559228743[/IMG]
Danke
Registered

Joined Sep 7, 2006
965 Posts
#28 3 d ago
johnson-rod said:
No they usually just continue talking on their cell phone and smoking cigarettes.
Don't worry the Fire Marshal OK'd it.

Reactions:zroger73
SaveShare
Reply Quote

H
HRL383
Registered

Joined 2 mo ago
190 Posts
#29 3 d ago
Can’t swear to it, but I believe most gas stations here are open 24/7.

Show Full Signature

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Farther"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/22/22987.jpg?1578546069[/IMG]
Farther
Premium Member

White Diamond Pearl 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL with black interior
Joined Jul 29, 2010
1,604 Posts
#30 3 d ago (Edited)
Many in Oregon are too. There are exceptions for stations to operate without attendants and 24-hour stations are card operated like most in the nation.

Show Full Signature
Like most problems in life, the solution is easy, the execution not so much.
Reactions:HRL383
SaveShare
Reply Quote

H
HRL383
Registered

Joined 2 mo ago
190 Posts
#31 3 d ago
Maybe I misinterpreted the usage of ”only gas station in the country”.

Show Full Signature

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Jorg"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/176/176828.jpg?1567109307[/IMG]
Jorg
Registered

Joined Apr 11, 2019
357 Posts
#32 3 d ago
Bill,
Many, oh sooo many things have not made sense in the past few months! Looks like the trend will continue.

Show Full Signature
Honolulu, HI
2019 RLT-E White with Black interior. 8 yr. Extended Warranty, Splash guards, LED Fogs, K9 Hammock, Max Liner floor all weather floor mats, Body Side Moldings, Retrax ProMX, Pop n Lock electric tailgate. Rear Door Mod, LED mods, Tail gate mod. CoverKing custom neoprene CR front seat covers.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="laserfan"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/0/230.jpg?1559228743[/IMG]
laserfan
Registered

Joined Mar 12, 2005
281 Posts
#33 2 d ago
Solo said:
Y'all will like this: in 1975 I found myself in a VERY backwoods gas stop in AR on a cross-country trip on my new '74 Honda 750K4. Having paid the toothless attendant inside, I returned to my bike to find that I'd over-filled the tank, and the heat from the engine caused the gas to expand and start to push-out from the cap. What to do, what to do; it was drip-drip-dripping onto the hot engine: pssss, pssss, pssss. I wiped the tank as best I could and took-off down the road. The bike did not start on fire. Someone Up There must have taken pity on a dumb biker.

Yeah I know, in hindsight there were smarter things I could have done.

:oops:

Show Full Signature
2006 Honda RIdgeline RTL and 2019 Honda Passport AWD Touring
Reactions:Solo
SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Farther"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/22/22987.jpg?1578546069[/IMG]
Farther
Premium Member

White Diamond Pearl 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL with black interior
Joined Jul 29, 2010
1,604 Posts
#34 2 d ago
laserfan said:
I've done the same thing. I think that there was not a significant loss of fuel at the station and to start down the road allowed the fuel to be cooled by the wind. I am not sure what would have been a better option.

Show Full Signature
Like most problems in life, the solution is easy, the execution not so much.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="laserfan"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/0/230.jpg?1559228743[/IMG]
laserfan
Registered

Joined Mar 12, 2005
281 Posts
#35 2 d ago
Farther said:
I am not sure what would have been a better option.
Yeah I think at the time I thought about going inside and getting a towel or something that might absorb some of the gas, but my thought was "every second lost gets me that much closer to disaster" and so I just took-off. I had no confidence the shack would have a souffle cup, and a coffee or drink cup would be too big (to try to dip some gas out of course). Not to mention that it would NOT have been "cool" for me to go-in and admit my stoopidity...!

Show Full Signature
2006 Honda RIdgeline RTL and 2019 Honda Passport AWD Touring

SaveShare
Reply Quote

S
Solo
Registered

2019 Sport Lunar Silver
Joined 6 mo ago
151 Posts
#36 2 d ago
laserfan said:
Y'all will like this: in 1975 I found myself in a VERY backwoods gas stop in AR on a cross-country trip on my new '74 Honda 750K4. Having paid the toothless attendant inside, I returned to my bike to find that I'd over-filled the tank, and the heat from the engine caused the gas to expand and start to push-out from the cap. What to do, what to do; it was drip-drip-dripping onto the hot engine: pssss, pssss, pssss. I wiped the tank as best I could and took-off down the road. The bike did not start on fire. Someone Up There must have taken pity on a dumb biker.

:oops:
I did that, once. Home was 1/2 mile away. Yup, parked in the garage, the over-filled tank heatsoaked after I parked it & went inside. Later found a wet, smelly spot under the bike. At first I thought I had a leaky carb (remember those?). Glad that was all it was.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="silkiechicken"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/121/121602.jpg?1574533808[/IMG]
silkiechicken
Registered

Joined Dec 29, 2016
1,147 Posts
#37 2 d ago
I nearly got stuck at a non usual fueling spot. I always fuel at Costco every 4 days or so but forgot it was a holiday... so found myself facing one of those vapor capture booted pumps for the first time. It snapped in and I had a heck of a time snapping it back off. Had to pull up and forward toward the tank just right before I could finally escape.

Show Full Signature
2017 AWD RTL
Seattle, WA.
Reactions:You and zroger73
SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Aberdeen"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/9/9813.jpg?1564613657[/IMG]
Aberdeen
Registered

Joined Jul 15, 2007
26 Posts
#38 5 h ago
budaman said:

My Complaint:
Regards,
XXX XXXXXX

Never have that problem with my 2007 seems like a lot of complaints on Gen 2 Ridgeline's at 257,000 miles I guess Ill just keep fixing mine nothing much ever breaks just wears out but thanks for the heads up

Show Full Signature
:laugh:
Reactions:You
SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="TruckOffRLBE-on"]https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/d1/avatars/m/116/116321.jpg?1559228802[/IMG]
TruckOffRLBE-on
Premium Member

Joined Oct 29, 2016
254 Posts
#39 4 h ago (Edited)
This same calamity happened to me but I’m not quite geriatric yet at 59 and didn’t report it to the Feds. Be glad to be a collaborative confirmed victim too if needed, 2017 BE (Type R wannabe so 93 Oct only).

Mine wouldn’t move and I repeatedly rotated the schnozzle handle (after Refuel done) CCW & CW until I was able to yank it over one of the spring coils and it broke free cleanly, no blood no foul. This took less than a minute but I could see how it could get jammed worse as although tight, created a little wiggle room turning handle slightly. normally I don’t insert tip into the filler mech that much but didn’t want splash back when the squeeze handle Lock popped off, possibly causing schnozzle to come dislodged and fall, spray, whatever.

Although minor panic crossed my mind, a knife sharp enough to have a souvenir handle was inside drivers door pocket. Envisioned telling Murphy’s at Wal-Mart what happened, driving 15 miles to dealer with it sticking out, and returning schnozzle afterwards with Honda contact info from dealer to reimburse station. Also remember thinking, I just bought Flexseal, surely that could fix the hose without leaking in seconds! I’d surely get some thanks or lifetime supply from Flexseal if it worked (j/k).

I also remember that as a kid, if this happened with two dogs, we just poured hot water on them.🐶🐶🔥💦

Reactions:Carsmak
SaveShare
Reply Quote

O
odellkevin

My Complaint:
Regards,
XXX XXXXXX

Hi,2019 RTL, I had trouble last fillup, it took me about 30 seconds to get out.

This is why in New Jersey we leave fuel replenishment activities to trained professionals.
Coming from Okla, I loved my time in NY/NJ - hadn't had full service since I was a pump jockey in the early
70's. I saw a 18-20 year old female filling her tank last week. Lit cigarette on one hand, smart phone in the
other, with ear buds. I decided to wait to buy gas until I left Kroger!

My Complaint:
Regards,
XXX XXXXXX

Haven't seen a unleaded nozzle with a spring on it in ages. If I did, I surely wouldn't either use it or insert it more than to
get the fuel neck flap open. Michigan changes to thin nozzles with a lip toward the handle a long time ago. The only issue I had was in St. Louis, using one of those vacuum emission nozzles that requires collapsing to create a seal and recapture the fumes.

odellkevin, thanks for your take on the situation, the station is at raceway alachua exit off 75
I know this place! We lived in High Springs for 10 years. Alachua Farm and Lumber was one of my favorite places. :) Hope all is well back in Alachua!

Discussion starter · #54 ·
I know this place! We lived in High Springs for 10 years. Alachua Farm and Lumber was one of my favorite places. :) Hope all is well back in Alachua!
hey guy, i am up in high springs also, nice little town, lots of country. we came up from englewood, got tired of palm trees, sand and water, I wanted to move back where there was trees, big trees. wasn't there but 7 months when the neighbors very big oak came crashing through our home. that was fun
thanks to shout out

Yep, i do too, I just posted my experience for you guys to keep in the back of your mind that there is at least one pump nozzle in this world that is waiting to lock on to fuel pump nozzle and not want to let you go. It's not fun, trust me
Happened to me a month ago... I was panicked, didn't know what to do.. after about 6 minutes I was able to free the nozzle. I'll definitely not stick the nozzle all the way in from now on.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.