Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, we are looking at purchasing a RL AWD, RTL-RTLe trim. I think that at this point my wife wants a G2. We've been searching for the last 4 months and have done much reading about the possible issues with the G2. We've found some 2020 and 2019 (later VIN that hopefully fixed some of the earlier issues) that are CPO. Question, For a 2020 if the mileage and price are not the deal breakers, would you buy the CPO over a new? Seems like you're getting a better {longer} warranty with the CPO.
Thanks,

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kinda depends on the CPO vehicle numbers......mileage and time in-service from new/original title issued.

For example, we traded in a '17 CRV in which the 36 month bumper-to-bumper warranty had expired. So, with our '17 Rigi, we gained back 12 months of bumper-to-bumper warranty with the CPO. The CRV still had 24 months powertrain remaining but the CPO powertrain warranty on our Rigi had 45 months remaining at the time of purchase (84 mos coverage less 39 mos in-service ). Miles driven for us very low so a non-issue. The '17 Rigi only had 8250 miles when we bought it. Clean CarFax, with regular LOF changes shown, for what that's worth. 🤷‍♂️ I think we came out ok, CPO warranty wise.

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
The shortest leases are usually 2-3 years. A 2020 or even a 2019 for that matter is a bit new to be a lease or a "regular" trade. Such new vehicles on used lots are often:

1. Loaner/rental/demo vehicles which are sometimes abused.
2. Press cars that get abused by reviewers every day for months.
3. Traded in by owners who bought the vehicle, had problems with it, and decided to "dump" it.

Sometimes (very rarely), it'll be a vehicle that is meticulously maintained, responsibly driven, and traded in within a year or less or a vehicle that someone purchased and decided they don't like it or that it didn't meet their needs or they can't afford it. Unfortunately, there's usually no way of knowing a vehicle's true history and dealers will lie while holding a bible and looking into their mother's eyes to make a sale.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would throw one more potential: someone who drives a ton and wants to keep a vehicle in warranty, so they dump it before the B2B is up. It isn't a good financial decision for the person usually, but I have definitely known some folks who did that.

I am fine with a year or two old CPO as long as I am saving quite a bit of money. My last 3 vehicle purchases were a '13 Odyssey that was just out of B2B warranty, traded that in on a brand new '19 Odyssey, and my '18 RL that I got a year old with 25k miles on it, but paid ~$10k under original MSRP for it. Knock on wood, only issue I had was the 13 Ody had some part that was a TSB, but I was out of warranty. Cost me $100 or so total, so all in all, we have had pretty good luck, but I am meticulous with maintenance (even though that only takes you so far).

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
492 Posts
To add to everything already mentioned. Certified Pre-Owned is mostly a marketing thing for dealers, and good marketing at that. People search for CPO because they've been led to believe that because of the certification process, the CPO vehicle is better than the non-certified parked next to it. Bottom line is, the dealer pays Honda for each "certified" vehicle. As such, non-certified but with similar mileage etc. may be a better deal for you.

My 07 became a CPO after I agreed to pay the cost to make it "CPO". Doing so gave me an extension of the warranty (as you already know) and a book listing all the wonderful things the warranty covered...that's about all. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better vehicle. In my case, the vehicle technically did NOT qualify (per Honda's standards) to be CPO based on some body damage and the condition of the tires. Because Honda relies on their dealers to decide whether or not a vehicle meets CPO requirements, it's easy for the dealer to ignore some items that would disqualify it.

Lemme explain...I purchased my RL from a Honda dealer that a friend worked for. The vehicle had been sold by this dealer when new, regularly maintained, and traded back in to the same dealer. The truck sat on their used lot for a few months. It brought no interested buyers and was scheduled to go to auction. My friend asked if I was interested and offered it to me for a couple hundred over their purchase price. When I agreed to buy it and inquired about HondaCare, he said that if I wanted to extend the warranty for a couple of years and whatever the mileage was... he could "certify" it (I believe it cost me $300 but I don't remember exactly). I paid for the certification and also purchased HondaCare 8yr/120k miles. At that time, CPO covered some things that HondaCare would not..such as parts that come loose or fall off. While I wasn't anticipating any issues, it was my 1st Honda "truck" and I had no idea how well it would hold up to the off-roading I do. It's been great.

Whereas my RL was completely out of factory warranty at the time I purchased it, what you're looking at carries the balance of a factory warranty. Will a CPO vehicle offer you anything that you don't already have (towing, etc). Read the benefits of the CPO v. Non-CPO and decide if it's necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. it's been enlightening. I have an inherent distrust of dealerships, and the whole "inspection survey " that are supposed to be performed, as is evident by various threads on this site. I realize that at CPO vehicle may not be a better one than a non, but I'm hoping that the extended warranty will cover any hidden flaws. The fact that it maybe possible to "buy" the CPO, is interesting, if still true today. I'm not a big fan of warranty policies, as you're really just paying for piece of mind, but in the case of the G2 RL, it would appear to be wise. Last thought, and this might have been my original question, does a low mileage (under 15k, depending on year) G2 CPO give one (me) the piece of mind that a new vehicle might offer?
Thanks again for your insight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Does the dealership have a "Appraise Your Trade-in" link? If so, enter the CPO vehicle you are considering.......the amount that comes up, you can bet that is the max they gave for the vehicle. They need to make a little......they probably washed it. 🤦‍♂️

1 - 9 of 9 Posts