Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck I have had a deposit on since July has arrived. The only bad thing is there is a large stress crack in the windshield. I have not signed anything yet. Dealership said they would fix it free of charge but who knows when the replacement glass could arrive.

Should I walk away? I really want the truck but I don’t really want to mess with this. I worry about the crack getting worse before new glass arrives (it could take months with supply chain issues), and I also worry about the new seal around the new windshield not being as good as the seal from the factory. That said, I know it will take some time for me to find another Ridgeline that is not spoken for.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would take it but would get 500.00 off no reason to buy a brand new car and have it repaired prior even putting one mile on it. Happy that the dealership caught it and disclosed it rather then hiding it but they would not hesitate to ding you for any defects on your trade. My .02 cents

·
Registered
‘21 RTL - MSM
64 Posts
A non issue IMO, the replacement will be warrantied if any issue. Just had my 21 windshield replaced with OEM from safelite and no issues…and they had the glass available in 2 days of scheduling. Good luck

·
Registered
2021 RTL Pewter
147 Posts
Should be some additional consideration involved if you agree to take and then have them fixed. Free accessories or add’l discount…

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,152 Posts
I've never had an issue with a seal on replaced glass. Go for it and enjoy
I never had a seal issue on a windshield replacement, but the installer did break the clips holding the trim pieces on each side of the windshield and failed to replace them. I ended repairing those myself.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I never had a seal issue on a windshield replacement, but the installer did break the clips holding the trim pieces on each side of the windshield and failed to replace them. I ended repairing those myself.
Yea, they can suck that way. Years ago I had a plastic guard under one of my cars that had to be dropped every oil change, by the time I sold it, there was maybe 3 screws left to hold it up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! Evidently the only guy at the dealership who can order new glass is sick today, so when he is back on Monday he is going to give me a firm ETA on when new glass will be there. If the ETA isn’t months and months away, I’ll go ahead with the sale and try to get some free floor mats for the hassle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would consider this very carefully - ask yourself what could have caused the crack.

It could be a significant manufacturing defect that caused the windshield frame to be misaligned, or damage from dropping or twisting as the vehicle was loaded on the car hauler. If you decide to go ahead, you might want to get an independent body / alignment shop to look over and measure the vehicle before you hand over the $$$.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
@NebraskaBoi (3) things to consider
1) Will they be replacing it with Honda Glass?
2) If not are you willing to accept a possibly lesser product for your brand new vehicle?
3) If you do you could have trade in/sale/lease implications, I'd get and be sure to keep everything in writing. Since you didn't completely disclose your transaction, I'm going "worst case" and I have had several friends with higher value vehicles, most often BMW's (off the top of my head I can remember 3 such stories) where when returning the lease, they had issues because it was "no longer factory glass"?

Moderator Note: Thread Renamed

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
899 Posts
I had a Ram 1500 I bought new, and two years later I found out the front fender had been repainted, the clear coat was peeling off! I was more than mad about that, but found out they can do any repairs as long as it's under a certain amount without telling you about it. At least they are telling you now instead of passing it off as "we didn't know". I would get a replacement date on a new OE windshield, and make your decision as you stated---good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
278 Posts
If it's any consolation, the original windshield on mine survived a whole 2 weeks. My dealer needed a couple days to source the factory glass from several hundred miles away. The windshields on these trucks are rock magnets, crack easily, and are relatively expensive for the factory glass. It might be a rough start with a new vehicle, but would get used to this type of event and simply have it fixed by the dealer to ensure there aren't any warranty concerns going forward.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Personally, I would walk away. If it were recognizable impact damage, fine, just replace the windshield and move on. But if it’s really a stress crack, what could have caused it, and what other damage might that have done? Think about how much twist you’d have to put on a vehicle to deform the windshield frame and crack the windshield. Or maybe a factory oops made it so the windshield doesn’t fit the frame properly, which means the replacement will just crack as well.

It’s probably OK, but do you want to spend well north of $40K on probably? Remember, the dealer is just trying to get your money and have you own whatever problems might occur thereafter. If they can’t come up with a credible reason why it broke, I think it’s time to wait for the next one - and you might just want to make note of the VIN to make sure you don’t see the same truck again.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Personally, I would walk away. If it were recognizable impact damage, fine, just replace the windshield and move on. But if it’s really a stress crack, what could have caused it, and what other damage might that have done? Think about how much twist you’d have to put on a vehicle to deform the windshield frame and crack the windshield. Or maybe a factory oops made it so the windshield doesn’t fit the frame properly, which means the replacement will just crack as well.

It’s probably OK, but do you want to spend well north of $40K on probably? Remember, the dealer is just trying to get your money and have you own whatever problems might occur thereafter. If they can’t come up with a credible reason why it broke, I think it’s time to wait for the next one - and you might just want to make note of the VIN to make sure you don’t see the same truck again.
I somewhat agree, though initially I would not just give up on this vehicle. My guess would be installation error, or a flaw in the windshield itself, or some other none-issue, but before I handed over that +/- $40,000, I would want to know for sure. That windshield cracked for a reason, when they replace the windshield that reason should become obvious, then make your decision.

Good luck! (y)

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts